Baine is actually acting on orders from Sylvanas

Ummm… I’m going to go with “no.”

Sorry, but it’s way out of character for Baine.

The Derek situation is exactly the kind of thing that would absolutely disgust him even if the Proudmoores weren’t the target.

I think a Manchurian Derek is very likely and Baine sending him to the Alliance was an unexpected gift for Sylvanas.

Derek is basically going to have the full trust of Anduin and the Proudmoores. The rest of the Alliance don’t matter for Sylvanas’ plan. Just having him being near that family is all that’s necessary.

This is the most likely case, where Slyvanas used Baine’s bleeding heart against him to achieve the hardest part of the plan, getting Derek into the Alliance’s hands without him being suspected right off the bat.

Though I think there is a chance that once Derek acts Slyvanas will spin it that Baine was in on the plan to drive a wedge between Baine and Anduin.

3 Likes

If there’s a Proudmoore who’s dying from Manchurian Derek, it’s almost certainly Tandred.

-Jaina is a main character of the expansion and just became Lord Admiral. Revolving door racial leader in the middle of an expansion would be almost more idiotic than Warchief roulette.
-Katherine narrates the Kul Tiran allied race intro. Unless it’s post-mortem exposition (which is a possibility I’m keeping in mind, but none of the other allied race leaders have this) it means she basically has plot armor.
-Tandred has nothing so far.

Eh, I’ll take what I can get. Tandred will do.

This would actually be awesome

1 Like

One problem…he is not allowed to return home and is sent instead to someone who can relate (calia) which means he can’t do anything in kul’tiras

Also baine likes anduin too much to go along with a plan like this

He becomes the captain of the alliance’s new ship that you build that goes to stormwind

It’s more likely he’s an unwitting pawn, and that Sylvanas expected Baine to release Derek. Derek might already be mind controlled and he’ll probably end up killing one of the Proudmoores (Tandred and/or Katherine). This way she got both Baine out of her way and Derek trusted in the arms of his family.

It’s all quite evil and cunning. I wonder when Blizz is gonna give her horns. I’m sure it’ll make her most obnoxious fans like her even more.

Sylvanas serves the true enemy and the Light has made a bargain with the enemy of all so why wouldn’t Sylvanas send Derek to the Naaru!?!

Naw, I’m not sure she can get away with the second part. Part of the reason she held that meeting deep into Kul Tiras lands was solely to make a show of his arrest. Its a little added weight to the idea that she didn’t want Baine and Zelling to save Derek, she made a public spectacle of the issue. There were Alliance in the area aware of the meeting and trying to listen in.

I doubt this would work.

Anduin knows Baine too well to think he would approve of this kind of tactic. Jaina might believe it, but even that is iffy.

The rest of the Alliance would, but other than ensuring he won’t be rescued I don’t see much advantage to even trying.

Baine isn’t joining the Alliance and he isn’t leading the Horde. The Alliance’s opinion of him doesn’t really matter much.

TLDR is “In terms of the WOW setting, Sylvanas is a genius”

Well to be fair there’s no way they can repeat Garrosh to a T and expect anyone to ever take the story seriously again

Major flaw in this.

Sylvanas doesn’t gloat in front of Baine and the Player about how she’s already adjusted Derek, and how his efforts only served her plans.

1 Like

Well the player might not be entirely trusted by Sylvanas either since that player likely has other loyalties to their class order hall, racial leader (if not undead), etc. etc.

Also it would ruin any big reveal M. Night Shyamalan story move Blizz is trying to make if the player character knew it was a rouse before it happened since the player is the only audience for such a move.

Ok, I was wrong and he’s got something, but it’s also severely less important on a scale over “main character and racial leader” and “allied race intro narrator”. In the meta, anyone could replace him as ship captain, not so much as the former two.

yeah, but my point is he is unlikely to die to derek due to not being anywhere near him, he might die due to being on the front lines though

Thing is much like Killing Malfurion or Burning Teldrassil would be an act so heinous to ensure there was no alternative to war, making the Alliance leaders doubt Baine, would likewise remove the most likely path for Anduin to try and present peace terms and get the other Horde leaders to overthrow Slyvanas.

There is also the added bonus of implementing Baine in her plan could easily drive the return of raging angry Jaina to miss her mark and do something so terrible that will force the Honor Horde leaders to view the Alliance negatively. Talking something big here like either Thrall or Surfang die to stop angry Jaina from killing Baine, before she calms down enough to see the holes in Baine was in on Slyv’s plan story.

I’ll give you the first point, but not the second.

Jaina didn’t think that Baine would have schemed against her after Theramore. When Varian found out that Baine had warned her resulting in the deaths of the Alliance reinforcements, that was his first thought. She assured him he was wrong. I’m not sure this situation would be different.

Even if it was, I honestly don’t get why Sylvanas would want to poke the bear. When Theramore was murdered she didn’t just get angry and attack Garrosh… she tried to drown all of Orgrimmar.

Deliberately putting Jaina in her post-Theramore mindset in the hopes she’ll kill just Baine or do something that’s only a little damaging to the Horde but won’t endanger the war effort seems like a colossally bad idea.

:thinking:

Actually… I’ll give you the second point too. :+1: