Baine is actually acting on orders from Sylvanas

Ok hear me out especially fellow Horde players because today at work I just made a massive realization granted it took me a few cups of coffee to get there. But this is it. I figured it all out finally.

Okay Baine isn’t/wasn’t actually plotting a rebellion. Sylvanas actually already corrupted Derek Proudmoore and he already knows what to do in terms of spying on the Proudmoores. However Sylvanas wants the plot to go off without a hitch since there is a chance there could be spies among them.

So basically to give the Alliance the idea the plan is ruined and they have nothing to worry about and keep them off guard she met with Baine in Booty Bay (or somewhere but I just imagined it to be Booty Bay for some reason) and basically told him to orchestrate this whole thing so the Alliance thinks the Horde is in disarray and Derek is still the same old non-Horde spy Derek once he eventually returns now that he is free.

So basically Derek then goes on to go to Boralus and pull off the plan as planned and then big plot oopo doopo wumbo chungi

20 Likes

I’m upvoting the post just for this tbh.

10 Likes

I am legitimately scared that Derek is already mind-controlled and Sylvanas played Baine like a fiddle into handing the Alliance a walking nuke bomb. Its right up her alley.

I doubt heavily Baine was in on it. However, if he was, that could lead to even worse scenarios. Once Saurfang and Anduin discover Baine has been imprisoned, they are both likely to at least consider trying to rescue him. Saurfang to bring another to his cause, and Anduin to further divide the Horde (and rescue his friend, heck maybe even bring the Tauren to the Alliance - Anduin’s got a lot of good reasons to go save Baine right now).

Then Baine would be in position to either kill or capture whoever rescued him… or at the very least spy on them and report back to Sylvanas.

2 Likes

That would require the writers to be subtle and nuanced. Have you played BFA?

33 Likes

Haha grats on 1111 posts.

Was 9/11 also an inside job?

Thanks, but it’s more like “1111 posts…on the new forum, on this specific character”. My actual lifetime WOW forum posts are probably closer to 50-70k. :smiley:

And howany of that several thousand would you say is troll posts? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

That would be so against his character though. I just don’t see a diehard Alliance loyalist like him willingly doing harm to them.

Sylvanas totally has Derek Mind controlled though. I’d put money on it.

2 Likes

Thread starting posts are more likely to be a bit trolly, because it gets people to respond to a topic I find interesting. My posts in other people’s threads often have non sequiter humor, but usually aren’t trollin’ unless someone is being a jerk.

2 Likes

I’m pretty much betting that this is the case, that whatever plan Sylvanas had for Derek is still in motion and that Baine (and Zelling) were played like fiddles. This allows her to get rid of an annoying pain in her butt by publicly calling out Baine for treason, and continue to do whatever she intended for Derek. Heck, she even takes suspicion off Derek in a major way by having Baine of all people “rescue” him AND makes a public spectacle of punishing those responsible for that rescue.

Exactly. This checks off a TON of boxes for Sylvanas, so its hard to believe she didnt stage all of this:

1. Gets to kill Zelling right in front of everyone unopposed. This not only removes an Undead who doesnt worship her and questions her orders off the board, but also shows the other leaders what she does to traitors without directly threatening them.
  2. Removes the Anduin-friend Baine from the board. Its too risky to kill a Racial Leader like she did Zelling, but it gives her all the excuse in the world to put him away somewhere he cant be trouble or influence anyone else.
  3. She knows any gesture from Baine is likely to be taken as genuine, so Derek is now a spy/assassin/instigator deeply embedded in the Alliance ranks and even possibly in a position to take out Calia.

If she did this on purpose (which … come on, its Sylvanas), this was a masterful move. In fact, its the most “Sylvanas” thing she’s done this Expansion if we’re right.

10 Likes

I think there’s a good chance that the “Manchurian Derek” plan is moving forwards exactly as Sylvanas wants it to. Baine was more likely a patsy in the plan though, that stupidly played his part.

3 Likes

Look, if they’re going to throw another Horde mainstay down the stairs then I’m just glad she’s actually getting to pull off an intelligent plot for once in the expansion.

Which, as it happens, is exactly why I don’t think this is what happens.

6 Likes

God, I hope not, as if Baine wasn’t already spineless enough, last thing we need now is for him to get on his knees and beg edge queen to forgive him for previous outbursts.

I hope Derek gets turned into a superweapon capable of infiltrating the Forsaken as a mindslave and knocking Sylvanas down a peg instead. Would be infinitely more gratifying to see one of her own vile schemes turned against her.

#Nomoreegotrips

1 Like

He is not a “spy/assassin/instigator deeply embedded in the Alliance ranks” as he is not deeply embedded. The Alliance knows he may be compromised, he knows it. So, he may be behind the lines, but he will not have unfettered access.

Personally, if I had to guess, he is mostly himself. But, Sylvanas will have some trigger or some effect on him.

Something occurred to me. I was thinking there is no way Baine is in on it unless he is possessed by a banshee. But that would not really fit with his actions. His choices so far are completely in line with his character. But, what if that is the purpose of his imprisonment. What if Sylvanas intends to weaken him (drugs, torture, etc) and then have a Banshee take him. Then allow him to be rescued and presto, she has a spy and potential assassin, probably in Saurfang’s camp. Would allow her to prepare for and/or sabotage any move Saurfang might make against her.

Yeah, its really not hard to assume that’s whats going on. If you want a real crack-theory … I’ve been waiting for the Mathias Shaw is really Mal’Ganis reveal and he’s the master who’s table the Boy-King now sits at (three lies will the master offer you). Somethins not right about that guy since he inexplicably survived getting abducted by Datheroc. :smiley:

OK hear me out, why would Baine do this?

He’s a member of the Horde and his Warchief’s got a sick plan to mess with the blue losers. #OneHorde

I don’t buy Baine being in cahoots, though I don’t think it’s farfetched to say she expected this or has already finished with Proudmoore. I do however think that Saurfang’s betrayal might be a ruse. I think I have a thread on that.