Bad Pug Tank + Thrash + Grievous + Disc Heals =?

Not sure if Venthyr Mind Games would make this easier, but after a few goes at HOA this week with Grievous I am avoiding that dungeon. This was not a problem when Venthyr or geared (last tier) and even with Grievous, but healing a 14 or 15 as disc this dungeon this week as a 233 priest has proven a nightmare on Thrash. It seems to me you can no longer outrange Thrash, but I see no ranged pugger dps even try–let alone hitting defensive buttons or offhealing. Tanks (all of the ones I pugged with) also insist on pulling the Shards with just about every other mob in sight.

Of course, I know you can barrier, rapture, even PI yourself. You can even cast Boon. And I know you can hope and pray this brand of mentally challenged pug tank and deeps could do way more, but that is not anything a healer can control. But honestly, I have not had any success with anything I’ve tried. And most pug tanks are not in Discord or voice.

Has anyone else healing Thrash had trouble or success? And if you say swap to holy, I still don’t think you can heal it well–but I do not heal holy now–and hence would not care for a reply about holy (but feel free to comment just the same re: holy).

Thanks in advance for your any genuine posts about this. Save your critiques or snide comments please (yes you Brighter).

You play Disc on Grevious? Kekew.

Actuallly It can be ok bbbbuuut

You need the new Kyrian lego, yes you need to play Kyrian. You should wait for renown 57. Main stats should be Crit + ver and some haste.

1 Like

Yup, I do play disc. I don’t like holy, tbh, and don’t play it often. I did try it once this week but had about the same luck as with disc, but did a lot less damage. I am almost done 10 15s as disc tbh.

Except, you don’t need to drink at all as Holy and can just pick pure HPS tormented power, and Holy mastery just counter all the grievious.

I do have the Kyrian leggo, and have not used it yet in dungeons. I have also run one dungeon with Pentinent One because it does boost healing and can top a tank really fast.

I find that disc is nightmare though for mana. Hence you need the fast food and mana orb mana powers in most groups. Of course elite groups are a whole other story.

Honestly, I found holy no better for mana–or only a little better. All seems to depend on the avoidable damage taken by the deeps plus tank skill. Not to mention interrupts done–of course. Well, or missed.

It was probably your haste. If you have too much hate then you run out of mana.

Just keep it at 10% It’s enough for +15. The damage is not that spiky.

1 Like

Hmm… Great suggestion. I will try that. Thanks.

Food, gems and enchants can be switched. I guess to mastery?

Disc? Crit would be best and best for Holy too.

Hmm… Yeah, maybe. But I distinctly remember Moadmoad saying while streaming Mastery is king. Not to knock your thoughst. And this was in 9.0.

Mas is king in raid only, but crit is only marginally lower.

But he was talking about M+. It does boost healing more than crit, but of course does nothing for damage.

It does boost more if you spam shadowmend on the tank.

Crit is for saving lives and damage yes.

Thanks mate, either way. I had not considered the mana burn thing in relation to haste. I know though you are spot on about that.

In most pug groups, if you heal disc this week, you are going to be spamming shadow mend a ton. With elite groups though–whole other story.

In M+ the only real important stat is Haste. Haste/Vers builds are nice, haste/crit build is nice, haste/mastery build is nice, etc. I think I tend to prefer haste/vers if I can play it in M+. Haste crit will give more damage, and haste mastery will give more healing overall, but haste/vers is a nice middleground where you also will need to do less self healing.

Yeah. Well, this week, if you’ve healed any M+ as disc, you’d know right away mana is an issue in 90% of groups. Some groups have dps who actually dodge damage, use defensives, health pots, offheal, interrupt, do dispels, etc. vs what most think–which is that you just need to press your damage buttons. Most never even self-heal when you have 5% mana or eat when you need mana. All these things help a ton on weeks like this, but nobody cares. Not a single group let me drink for mana more than once. The tank rushes ahead, starts getting stacks, and even dies sometimes before I am back to even 50% mana when stopping.

That the case, haste is not great this week. I think you have to have a minimum though–but I think 10% is not enough. If your haste is too low and the stacks start mounting up you are gonna be in trouble. On the other hand, haste does mean burning through more mana than necessary if you have too much.

As for vers, I literally take the least damage on entire runs, plus each pull sometimes take zero. Only the rare dps bothers with dodging all but fatal damage. Hence, yes, vers is a great stat, but some need it, some don’t–not that all cannot benefit from some. As for Thrash, yes, vers is great for it because there is little you can do to avoid the damage. It seems to me you can no longer even outrange it, but correct me if I’m wrong. In my case, sometimes the melee and tank get on the other side so you can’t even outrage it if you want to.

If im in a group with a mage i tell everyone to grab buns and eat when they are low between packs. I also switch to twist of fate on grievous weeks. I normally play with mindbender anyways but specifically never switch it on grievous weeks. My mentality is a little more focused on keeping the tank and best dps alive on these weeks. If people are taking unavoidable damage I don’t heal them any differently because of grievous stacks, instead ill just dispel them and fire off another shadowmend if they are getting super low lol

I don’t know how you can heal a group on grievous without the idea of topping everyone up as being your main priority. If you fall behind on healing–and even just once or twice it just makes your problems compound. I mean, there are a lot of factors to consider, so you have to adapt to the group and the specifics of the situations, but I do the best I can in even the worst groups. Or well, I simply leave. But this week, I have only quit twice in 20-30 runs.

in b/t packs is obviously different: you top ppl off, drink, and relieve the grievous problem, im talking about mid pull when they eat damage that is avoidable.

Yeah, I hear you bro. The thing is, most dps in your typical pug have no idea how to very easily avoid a lot of damage, use defensives, dispel if they can and their life depended upon it (which can be the case), offheal, self heal, get the interrupts, eat, etc. Hence, you can let them die, nearly die, or even scare the pants off them (which you may think is happening but is not). You can do all of these things. Or you can be frustrated to heck (which I am sometimes). But you can also up your game and learn from these clowns. I mean, in the end, if you simply do not heal them (in the context of Grievous) and they die, it is a problem to them, yeah, but it is also cutting your own throat. This is because when they run back, or a brez is used, there is a cost to all in the group.

Don’t get me wrong, I have let dps die. And yeah, I get really frustrated, but it’s like this: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

1 Like

This week sucks as Disc. Just skip doing any m+7 or above. Problem solved.

1 Like