Bad arena changes, this promotes goldbuying & boosting

So the change hurts casuals by removing the long but steady road to getting fully geared and doesn’t really affect the people that already played at a 2k+ level?

1 Like

The change hurts casuals by removing the long and steady road to getting fully gear and the people that already played at a 2k+ level won’t be using their points on a weapon as you want to craft or raid for the weapon anyway. So most people at a 2k level will probably be getting things like gloves which are BiS for PvP in most cases (especially rogues).

1 Like

Your right on some points but this will decrease the competition imo because less people will participate in pvp. Once you gate gear and people fail they will lose interest in pvp. The original design was s1-2 free welfare gear but good players got it significantly quicker then bad players. S3 was 1850/2000 and s4 was 2050/2200 for weapons and shoulders.

I do agree that this will promote RMT which will turn this into destiny’s current trials pvp. Which is a ridiculous amount of paid carries.

2 Likes

Side note this will decrease people on alts in arena as well. This is a god awful change for pvp I can’t even LOL

2 Likes

Also to further clarify - the original gear rankings required in S2 and beyond were 1850 for weapon and 2200 for shoulders.

2200 was a hard reach for most, 1850 wasn’t too awful but still a challenge.

The other issue is that there’s entire classes that are really not great with syngery for arena outside of 5s, which would be fine if ratings didn’t matter. But now they really do. So our boomkins, shamans, hunters, and pallies are really going to be struggling for ratings. 5s just didn’t pop that great as the season went on.

S1 - No requirements on Weapon and Shoulders
S2 - No requirements on Weapon and Shoulders
S3 - Weapon 1850, Shoulders 2000
S4 - Weapon 2050, Shoulders 2200 - S3Weapon 1800, S3Shoulders 1950

1 Like

Thanks for this - I guess I was mish-moshing S3 and S4 together. Man, it’s actually worse than I thought, lol.

This was the original design and was balanced imo. Great players got gear really fast. If you had a high rated 3s or 5s team you would get weapons in 3 weeks (900-1100 a week) vs casuals getting 300-400 AP a week

2 Likes

I agree. It made for an eventually fairly even playing field and also awarded the top by letting them enjoy the gear sooner.

2 Likes

There’s still a lot of pvp gear with no rating from arena.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

It encourages people to turn to PVE to get an early advantage. Then hold that advantage by having the better PVP gear.

If you’re not in a good guild clearing content quickly and getting you items. You’re forever stuck playing at a disadvantage in arena. EXPLAIN how that’s good for the game? IT just allows the hardcore players to always have an advantage over the casuals.

This doesn’t create a healthy game environment. IT creates a degenerative experience that actively encourages people not to play the game. Everyone loses. Arena becomes harder because players only face meta comps with the best gear.

Smart pvpers who actually understand the game want a wider audience to play the game. Not a smaller one.

If you don’t have resilience you die in PVP. You’re better off walking in naked. Then at least your opponent will question what’s actually happening.

This is truly the expansion of PVP gear is for PVP vs PVE gear is for PVP.

1 Like

It also encouraged people to make throw away teams weekly so they could afk for the gear. Which was also not super fun for anyone and was exactly why the rating reqs were added in the first place. I’m sure blizzard looked at how much people have min maxxed and abused various systems in classic and decided to nip that one in the bud right off the bat.

1 Like

I feel like throw away teams wasn’t really a thing till late wrath for the MMR system they introduced.

No it doesn’t. No one gets their pvp gear right away, so if you can’t push 2050 within a month, then I don’t know what to tell you. The flip side to this system that your matches are better balanced in terms of player MMR, so you aren’t running into people who are 400 rating better than you, a huge difference, like you would with the old system.

you are definitly not going to have balanced teams, this mmr system is heavily abused in retail. Even if you’re a 2k andy, once you partner with a 0k player in a 0k rated team to sell them boosts, you dont just magically only fight 2k players

1 Like

Sure, but boosting was an issue in TBC, except what you’re describing happened 10x as often in TBC because the old system actively encouraged it, which is why they’re fixing it ahead of time. Boosting is literally an issue no matter what you do in any sort of ranked system like this that isn’t purely 1v1s. The only people who truly suffer from this are going to be PvE heroes that refuse to learn how to PvP but want the best rewards from it, which made zero sense in the first place and was the exact reason we got to where we are today.

and it would have been a less of an issue with only 1500 -> 1850

0 -> 2050 actively encourages it.

Also, any pvper knows that this also affects the player pool and shrink its down, and you never want that to happen, its better for the system as a whole for more people to participate. Actively gatekeeping just ruins it for everyone involved.

1 Like

People who don’t pay to boost get stuck with nobody to play with because all of the other people buying boosts. Then said person that buy boosts won’t get invited to groups because they don’t have the gear the people who paid for boosts have. The non-booster decides the only option is to boost so they start farming gold. Oh wait all commodity prices are tanked due to AOE farming instances or botting. The only choice for the non-booster at that point is to pay real money to buy gold to pay back to the boosters.

1 Like

My alts do just fine