Baadger [A] - Loot Ninja

Was in a ZF with this player today. He rolled on a BoE trinket, that he did not actually need… dropped group, and hearthed. Your standard loot thief. Be warned, do not group with this person.

1 Like

Nothing worse than a loot ninja, welcome back to classic!

1 Like

Welcome to the blacklist kid

You don’t blacklist someone without evidence.

Screenshots and guild name he was in, at minimum.

4 Likes

What class did they play?
What was the trinket?

1 Like

Now don’t jump the gun.

I wanna see all the reciepts and deleted tweets about this.

In other words, evidence

There’s an old saying for situations like this, OP.

“Screenshots or it didn’t happen.”

I’m sorry about your trinket all the same, but accusations need to be followed with proof or most people won’t take it seriously.

3 Likes

Goofy response aside, I do have a question on your scenario.

I get the shady behavior, ninja hearth/leave group type of thing that is characteristic of your vanilla ninja looter.

My question is on the BoEs. I’ve heard a number of people comment on people “ninja’ing” BoEs by rolling need. My thoughts on BoE were as follows - some have enough worth that it’s fair for all parties involved in the dungeon to roll equally. If freezing band were to drop, for instance, I’d love to have it but I wouldn’t feel more entitled to the item than a group mate was entitled to 1/3rd the cost of their epic mount being covered.

I think if you pass on BoEs that are an upgrade for someone in the group that’s commendable, and I’ve done it in several dungeons, but is there some unspoken policy out there that this should be mandatory? I get it with greens and even low-value blues but at a certain point I’d feel stupid expecting people to give up absurdly substantial sums of gold so that I could have a cool new lvl 37 staff that would last me all of 25-30 days until I went to Scholo or somewhere similar and upgraded it yet again. Idk just food for thought on the issue.

My understanding is you need on upgrades. Not for gold making items. And if your scenario was true it should be discussed at the start of the run.

2 Likes

This really depends on the group and the server. I always thought it was standard practice to roll need on rare or epic BoEs for this reason, but discussing it on the forums got a lot of mixed responses including backlash. On some servers, this was/is common, on others I guess it isn’t. I don’t remember if this was a Frostmane thing in Vanilla or a thing that gained traction later, I just know that at some point this became fairly common because people will ninja and drop group whether you state loot rules or not.

The takeaway is ask your group or state before everybody gets to the instance what the loot rule is, in party/raid chat, so the loot rules are clear.

I had an underworld band drop and everyone started telling me grats since I was the only priest/warlock in the group. I said “no guys, if I win the roll I am selling. that thing is worth too much money for me to equip.” Everyone rolled greed and I won anyway.

If someone rolls need on a boe they better be instantly putting it on and really need it.

1 Like

BOE is more complicated than a simple only those who use it need roll on it, it’s something that the entire group could sell or use for alts. When leveling with friends that you KNOW can use it, of course it goes to them, but with a PUG, no way it’s a need roll by everyone otherwise the ninjalooter just becomes the one guy willing to hit that need roll like in the case with this guy.

You never know who actually needs it and who will just sell it on the AH later, better to talk out roll protocol ahead of the dungeon and take a screenshot of everyone agreeing to it before going in or just group with people you know.

easier solution is just have everyone need roll BOE and let the luck of the draw have it’s day, but they have to be aware ahead of time this is how it will play out.

Rolling greed on those type of items is just asking to be ninja looted.

I don’t have that much faith in this player base lol

1 Like

I’d rather be ninja looted on than be the ninja looter. You can also see what everyone selects in your chat box.

1 Like

True. I usually just tell everyone to need when an expensive BoE drops, 9/10 times everyone is OK with it.

This is what I do, or I just ask when a valuable BoE drops if we need or greed.

problem asking like this, is that pug could be lying to you then ninja loot it. if everyone just needs then it bypasses the possible drama

Well, if you wait for the others to roll first, yeah. Otherwise if you assume and roll need while everybody else greeds somebody will screenshot that and put it up on the forums.

It won’t impact your gameplay too bad unless you run afoul of the guilds clearing content that you also want to clear, though. Blacklisting doesn’t work nearly as well as people like to think it does, and never has, so this is almost moot.

You just establish everyone need rolls before the instance starts for BoE then you don’t have to worry bout it. If something drops great, if not great.

1 Like

Some boe items I will actually need though. So everyone rolling need isn’t really the best idea imo. If someone is legitimately going to wear a 10g blue then they should be rolling need and everyone else greed.

I always thought if you plan on selling something thats what the gold greed icon represents.