B.net "Appear Offline" bug?

Did they change how it works by any chance? When I am appearing offline and log into the game, you can see my name in the guild roster but within communities you can’t.

It should not have, but your guild community in battle.net is separate from your guild roster.

2 Likes

There shouldn’t have been any changes to how the system works. Appear offline changes your status within Battle.net, not within a specific game.

So if you have a friend who has you as a BattleTag or RealID friend, you won’t show up on their BattleTag/RealID friend’s list. However, if they friended the character you are logging into, you’ll show up on their in-game friend’s list. This is how guild’s works as well, it is by character. Communities function primarily at a Battle.net level.

1 Like

Same issue for me, It must of been a bug then before cause I would be appearing offline and in the guild roster my character would not be displayed, but now my character does show up so maybe they fixed it ? lulz!!

3 Likes

This is incorrect. Ask your team for a proper clarification instead of reciting old information. When appear offline was introduced it also affected the game by making you invisible in the guild roster. This behavior was changed in 8.1 to no longer do this.

1 Like

Prior to 8.1, there were plenty of times that I left myself in Offline mode and when I logged into the game it would still alert my wife on her computer behind me and she could see me on our guild roster too. Sounds like you might have been the one mistaken or you were experiencing some sort of display issue/bug.

I’m sorry, Defleur, but my experience differs, as does it seem for several others. Previous to the introduction of the Communities, the Guild system and therefore the Guild Chat system worked differently. The appear offline option would allow you to appear offline at the Battle.net level, but any list that tracked an individual character (Friends/Guild), still listed you when you logged into that character.

When Communities was introduced there were some odd behaviors, which I believe included some players appearing offline in the Community. The behavior that should be working as intended though, as far as I am aware, should be that you’ll appear in a guild or friend list at the character level still. Appear offline should again, be at the Battle.net level.

That is reflected in the Support Article: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/126236

1 Like

Sorry yes. What I meant "Appearing Offline on bnet would also reflect in-game (guild roster and in-game community). Now, after 8.1 when I appear offline, I am visible in the guild roster but not in communities roster (in-game).

1 Like

Correct. This was intended functionality from the get-go, and as I observed, that was how it was working since it was implemented.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/21098852/new-social-features-now-in-beta-in-the-blizzard-battle-net-desktop-app

" Appearing offline will show you as offline to everyone in your Blizzard friends list. Once you have joined a game, the experience of appearing offline might be slightly different depending on which game you are playing. In the case of World of Warcraft, your guildmates will see your character come online and enter WoW’s in-game chat channels, and anyone who has you as a character-level friend will see you online on their friends list. Everyone outside of the same game as you will not see you online or playing any games."

Emphasis mine, link provided for original timestamp so people can’t rage at Vrak’s FAQ and try “it was updated a month ago to say that.”

This one, however, is still sort’ve in beta. It still has its hiccups. Players showing online when they aren’t, players showing offline despite being online and actively engaging in guild chat, etc.

Honestly when I want to appear offline its because I want to appear offline to EVERYONE, especially my guild and ppl that have me friended. HELLO?!?!?! what is the point to having appear offline?

2 Likes

That isn’t what we have available though. The World of Warcraft friend system isn’t directly linked to the Battle.net friends list and we do not offer the ability to appear offline within the World of Warcraft at the character level.

Hello! If you would like to see the system function differently you’ll want to submit your suggestion/feedback. Customer Support has no involvement in game development, meaning you’ll want to post in the General discussion forum or submit your suggestion via the in-game option through the help menu.

I should also mention that if you have to include symbols to take the place of letters in a word, perhaps take the hint and don’t use the word that you are trying to trick the filter so you can use it. I’ve edited it this time around.

3 Likes