Authenticator & Child Account - Question

Secondary question 100% related to this one 5 posts below, please read. I didn’t want to flood the forums by creating a new post related to my own post within a couple days.

Hello,
I have a quick question I couldn’t find in the FAQ’s and a forum search. My son wants to play with me and my wife, but I wont let him without an authenticator and I want to add one to his account. He has a cell phone but its not a smart phone yet. He is 11 years old.

My question is can I have his and my accounts authenticated on my phone, especially since his account will be under mine as parental control? Mine is already attached to my phone and my wifes account to hers. I found my Original Blizzard physical authenticator from over a decade ago but its dead and I’d rather collect it than try and replace the battery and destroy it. And if so, what is the process to enable two authenticated accounts on one phone, for a parent and childs account?

Thank you!

P.s.
To add, I haven’t created his account yet or anything. Kind of wanting to do that new upcoming RAF program with him. So this is all a for sure thing, just want clarification for when I do this!

A few points…

For his account make sure it is separate from your battle net account so he does not lose any account bound item when he gets old enough to take control of the account.

not sure you can have the same authenticator on different battle net accounts.

if you have a tablet you can put the authenticator on it, I have mine on my ipod.

depending on how old your son is parental contols might be something to look into as well.

And lastly have you and your wife done the sms protect for your accounts?

2 Likes

The physical authenticator can only be attached to one Blizzard account at a time. The mobile authenticator can be used with up to 3 different Blizzard accounts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

He has his own personal Gmail email he uses for school and contacting his teachers, etc. So him acquiring his own account when older will be no issue for him. We also do have the SMS protect and have since it became a thing.

Thank you for that! Surprised I didn’t see that page, lol. It was too obvious, haha.

1 Like

The reason I suggested making his account separate from yours but still under your name until he gets older is so he does not lose all the work put into the characters, achievements, mounts,and collection on that account.

If the account is under your current battle net account even if you transfer it to a different account when he gets older the only things that will move are the characters and nothing else.

where as if it is under it’s own battle net account you can just change the registered name when he comes of age and all the work stays with that account.

3 Likes

What I think was meant was create your son an entire new bnet account. Not attached to your or your wife’s current one.

This way, later on itnis so much easier, and more portantly painless for him to split off

If you attach it. To. Your bnet when your son splits it he will have NO bind on account items, such as mounts, pets etc.

If the account is a new bnet login entirely, he can start to build his collection from the start. Still put the new bnet in your name, but have it on its entire own bnet by itself.

Hope that makes sense. This is to ensure later on itnis a seemless transition to put on his name and not lose things in the process.

3 Likes

I hope this isn’t a Necro, as this is a question to my own post here from only a couple days ago.

I forgot to ask, I know there are strict rules for RAF. What I want to know is:

1 - If I create my son an account now, before the new RAF goes live Tuesday, can I still send him the invite and get all the goodies? Or should I wait until its live and send the RAF invite from there?

2 - My wife has an account, she hasn’t logged into, paid for any time or anything related to her account/game since 2014 when WoD was relevant. Can I send her a RAF a link, and she reactivate her account, get time through link and we reap the benefits that way as well?

2A - Or is it only for brand new accounts?

Thank you for your help everyone, its much appreciated, seriously! I just don’t want to spend near $200 getting my son and possibly my wife set up for us all to play together on weekends and find out I did something wrong and we can’t use the bonus XP, free time, mount, ETC.

Sincerely,
Phaenix - Moon Guard

It feels very fortuitous that this was similarly asked just the other day.

Specifically, the answer you’re looking for is:

“Players new to WoW and veteran players who have not purchased game time on their account in the past two years can be enlisted in this program.”

It doesn’t specify the window that they’ll consider new for this purpose, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it retains the same restriction as the last iteration of the RAF-- the license cannot be more than 30 days old.

The expansion to it is that your wife’s account will also be eligible for the service, should she return. That’s my personal understanding, to be clear. Once the information has been made crystal clear around the time of its launch, we’ll know then.

2 Likes
  1. As long as the account isn’t upgraded before RAF is available, you should be good to go.

2. Yes, if she reactivates after RAF happens, since it’s been so long she should be eligible. It’s for new players and those who haven’t been on in at least 2 years.

2 Likes

Thank you both! I feel silly now, been at work, didn’t even see this newly updated post on the website here. Glad I added it to this post afterall, lol.

Much appreciated for the link too!

2 Likes

It’s always good to get clarification. c: Wishing the best to you and your family!

1 Like

Keep an eye on WorldofWarcraft.com news for updates about Recruit a Friend as well. Just so you don’t end up creating accounts or updating them before the service is officially turned on :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Please be aware of two additional points, recently made by one of our lovely SFAs (I think it was Vrak): it might not be coming as soon as the patch on Tuesday, and it will probably be much less than 30 days this time around. These details aren’t set yet, there’s nothing official yet – but I would definitely advise you not to do anything until full details are made public so you don’t miss out by acting too soon.

4 Likes

That’s also good to know! Love all the help here. I definitely won’t create him an account and my wife isn’t going to activate anything on her end until I verify that it is actually live.

3 Likes