As a tank, how are you supposed to handle Necrotic in Necrotic Wake?

Kiting is basically impossible here because the ghouls just leap to you and the big guys are all immune to CC.

I guess you can always bring a boomkin and have them Treant basically every pull, but it feels really terrible to have to rely on that.

1 Like

You can do a lot of things:

• Go Kyrian
  • Play Prot Paladin and bubble taunt it with the aoe taunt talent
  • Play Warrior and hope for enough crit block / parry to keep the stacks low
  • Rely on a Boomkin like you suggested
  • Have the healer use externals on you
  • Be a DH and have cheat death revive you
  • Bring a Holy Priest and have them use guardian on (basically cheat death)
  • Play a Guardian Druid with the Ursoc legendary - the absorb shield bypasses necrotic.
  • Bring a non-tank Paladin, have them bubble or bop and taunt the big add while you kite so you can CC the smaller adds.
  • Have a Warlock / Tauren / Warrior / insert aoe stun class without a target cap here stun the small mobs.
  • Have a non-boomy Druid use mass roots or vortex to suck in the small adds while you kite the big one.
  • Pull less or pull specifically to avoid necrotic stacks
  • Wait until next week when it’s not necrotic
  • Don’t run Necrotic Wake on necrotic week

I’m sure I’m missing some, but that’s the list I can think of off the top of my head.

This big guy can be easily taunted off of you from max range, just make sure to taunt back before it gets to them after your mutilate stacks reset. The jumpers just need to be aoe cc’d or use trees/elemental.

1 Like

As a holy paladin I always taunt the big guys upstairs to the opposite end of the room when my tanks start to kite.

• Pull only one small group every time, so the Necrotic Wound stacks slowly.
  • Have big DPS in your group, so they kill the mobs before Necrotic Wound builds too many stacks on you.
  • Have big heals in your group, so he heals a massive amount and you enter into the 50-stack situations in full health.
  • The DPS should also CC and stun often, preventing the mobs from building Necrotic Wound stacks on you too quickly.

Keep in mind that with the Necrotic affix, mob groups that consist of numerous small targets (that didn’t hit hard in the other weeks) are the most dangerous. You may have got used to pulling them with another group of big targets in those other weeks, but you shouldn’t do that in a Necrotic week.

These groups of numerous small targets, while don’t hit your hard, stack the Necrotic Wound very fast. And the Necrotic Wound at high stacks kills you easily

not really an option as soldiers are present in the 3rd boss room and the very first pull in your face.

• Have the healer use externals on you

that will not remove or slow down the necrotic stack.

• Be a DH and have cheat death revive you

depend on cheat death… stuff like fatescribe trinket ( who basically are a reincarn) work. KT trinket don’t.

• Have a non-boomy Druid use mass roots or vortex to suck in the small adds while you kite the big one.

unfrotunatly in NW case, vortex will not hold the soliders / blight bag from jumping for long.

• Have a Warlock / Tauren / Warrior / insert aoe stun class without a target cap here stun the small mobs.

same thing here, along with slow ; even if you stun them, they’ll jump back on you before stack fall over.

The real NW solution is to blast off any solider / blight bag before the tank become unhealable ( which is pretty fast as those two kind of mob melee faster than anything) and ideally be a kyrian tank ( / that kyrian healer trait who clear stack once per 3 min).

big guys aren’t the issue. soldiers / blight bag are.

1 Like

I’m not going to individual comment on each thing that is wrong in this reply, that’s a lot of time I don’t want to spend on this.

The advice I gave was relevant up to 20’s anything higher I have no idea, OP posted on a level 50 alt so I can STRONGLY assume they are playing in the 10-15 range so this is MORE than enough to work with.

I’ve yet to have any issues with Necrotic in Necrotic Wake, the only time I’ve REALLY seen it become an issue is on the last hallway of Sanguine Depths where the mobs are spawning and there’s no real way to drop necrotic stacks.

Plugging Monk love for Ring of Peace!

1 Like

problems arise in higher keys yes. not stuff that’s routinely 4-manned.

also, pulling super slow or only single pack is hardly an option… there’s a timer…

Y seen it become an issue is on the last hallway of Sanguine Depths where the mobs are spawning and there’s no real way to drop necrotic stacks.

the gorgon no longer stack necrotic, and neither does the boss ; which mean as long as you blast the low-hp mob ( same situation as above in NW, except those are kiteable and half are caster) the sanguine gauntlet isn’t the nightmare it used to be.

Also, the N’aaru shield clear necrotic stack… so you get a reset every gloom squall at the very least.

I was going to look you up but you’re also posting on a non-retail main so I’m going to class you in the same region as OP when it comes to key level.

This must be a new change because I ran Sanguine Depths a few days ago and the tank had to routinely drop stacks via hard kiting - large amounts of CC and running back down the hallway.

This must be a new change because I ran Sanguine Depths a few days ago and the tank had to routinely drop stacks via hard kiting - large amounts of CC and running back down the hallway.

gorgon is somewhere late S1,

boss not applying necrotic is S2… a big change yes.

shield clearing necrotic was always there, I believe.

I was going to look you up but you’re also posting on a non-retail main so I’m going to class you in the same region as OP when it comes to key level.

so, adressing the avatar instead of the argument. sure.

My main is a 230 blood DK necrolord running keys in the 14-16 range.

My general strategy for Necrotic is to use Grip of the Dead/Chains of Ice as slows and run away until stacks reset, so I was just looking for advice on what to do for pulls where that doesn’t work.

The real answer is to kill the trash before necrotic becomes a problem. Use the weapons to your advantage. This is why necrotic only appears on tyrannical week, the counter to necrotic is to kill trash fast so it stops stacking necrotic on you.

If your dps focus fires one add a time you will take less auto attacks.

Honestly there are just some dungeons that are best not done on certain weeks. Necrotic is a big one for tanks when mobs can’t be cc’d and there are little to no opportunities to kite.
There are things regardless of spec you can do, party comp plays big into doing necro also.

• Druid/Shaman w/ Treants/Earth Ele

• Holy pal healers can BoP stacked off. You just need to be ready with a cancel BoP macro

• Bring dps/healers with aoe slows/stuns to minimize hits in these packs. You can’t cc the big buy, but it’s ok to take more hits from him if you can avoid hits from the other adds.

• Have a dps that can taunt off of you. Not for them to tank but to just give you time to drop stacks. Monks and DHs are good for this due to their mobility.

• If you have a monk ask them to run RoP, it’s already kind of OP in M+

There are things you can do but you will have to rely on some help from your party. A good group should always be trying to help their tanks especially on necrotic weeks, sometimes getting high stacks is simply unavoidable and you will need help.

The tank only needs to worry about kiting the Kyrian Stitchworks or w/e, since they’re immune to CC. The other mobs have a range limit on their leap, so slowing/stunning them when the kiting begins is enough to drop Necrotic if the tank is ready.

The only issue my tanks have is dropping the Stitchworks’ debuff, since CCing the rest and leaving them slowed out of range is easy.

Necrotic wake is definitely the worst dungeon for Necrotic, but it’s doable. If you post which tank you’re having trouble with, I’m sure lots of people can help with specific tips. As a Druid, between Vortex and our various speed boosts, I can usually get away when I need to (even from the jumpy guys). Berserk or Incarnation with the Ursoc’s Fury Remembered legendary makes us effectively immune for the duration. Shaman with their elemental and Balance Druids with their treants are super helpful if you’re in a situation where it’s hard to kite. Those are both pretty common meta classes/specs right now. Lots of classes/specs can contribute AoE stuns or snares. Use the tools that are available to you.

the range limit would be amazing if

• the tank had a way to surpass that range limit instantly

• keeping mob grouped and still wasn’T necessary for many DPS to DPS

• the area where the mob is actually allow kiting : you don’T exactly have a ton of space to kite in stitchflesh room ( when stuff is up, especially) or the very first pull at the zone-in

Necrotic is just unavoidable in that dungeon… I mean it’s right there in the name.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think anyone is gonna change their entire class or covenant just so they can deal with 1 affix in 1 dungeon.