As a paid subscriber, why am I not allowed to use the LFG tool?

After you delete the authenticator app from your phone (like I did because I had run out of space) there is no way to get back on to your account except emailing customer support and waiting.

Thats what I had to go through over the course of weeks so no I wont be authenticating my account. If someone wants to hack my account go for it.

It’s just a game, not my bank account.

3 Likes

Here is why. Blizzard did some research.

• They figured out how many hours of employee work it takes to find, restore/ban stolen or hacked accounts.
  • They researched the average amount of boost selling characters that were stolen accounts.
  • They averaged out how much that costs them per year to ban or restore stolen accounts.
  • They researched and estimated the cost of hacked accounts and stolen WoW account data.
  • They did market research to estimate how many people who use their products have smart phones.
  • They calculated the cost of the keychain authenticators, both manufacturing them, and shipping them.
  • They estimated how many keychain units they would have to sell to justify manufacturing them.

I am sure they did a bunch of other analytics on the financials.

After looking at all the data, they found that the most cost effective thing for them to do, would be add in the authenticator requirement to listing in LFG to encourage players to secure their accounts with an authenticator. Which would cut down on the cost of dealing with stolen accounts.

Look, I understand you are upset about it. And I really am not trying to be condescending here. What ended up happening is that they calculated they would save more money by getting more players to use an authenticator, than they would lose from players without one or the means to get one quitting.

There are a lot of affordable phone plans out there. And many give you a free smart phone with your plan. It may not be the latest and greatest smartphone, but it will be a large upgrade over the flip phone.

If you are unwilling or unable to get a smartphone in that way, you have to just use the LFG system with the limitations. You can list groups for keys, but no details. And until you are able to get a smartphone with authenticator thats it.

Isnt the truth. You can list groups. Just with no details. So you can use about 1/2 the LFG tools.

And again, I am not trying to be condescending. But the flip phone is much more outdated than the LFG tool. Im sorry, but it is.

2 Likes

Sure, except the SMS Protect doesn’t work if you have something like Mint Mobile or Cricket.

As much as I want to post a meme about not having phones. I do agree that I wish they add another way for people to authenticate. Probably an email or something like that.

3 Likes

I’ve played since 2006 and never had an authenticator. Just never saw the purpose of it.

5 Likes

To be fair though, Dinosaur phones don’t have a hidden gesture to enable quickmemo by accident.

Steam doesn’t require two form authentication.

Epic Store doesn’t require it.

Uplay doesn’t require it.

Origins from EA didn’t require it.

3 Likes

My personal opinion is this is incredibly arrogant of Blizzard.

They should not be making the availability of any game features dependent on my buying and paying a monthly fee for a different service (which would add up to me playing over a $50 a month for the game).

I have a cell, I got it for emergencies during the worst of Covid but it is a pay-as-you-go and that isn’t good enough for Blizzard.

On top of that, I also have a key chain authenticator that I paid Blizzard for but, not only is it too not good enough to be able to access the extra bag slots and that LFG feature, if the battery dies, they will require me to e-mail them a copy of gov’t ID to get back into my account which means I couldn’t even stop payment on my account. Can’t just click a button have them contact me. No, that would be too easy.

I think the whole situation is crappy and caused by Blizzard cheaping out.

7 Likes

That is a valid point. Features being restricted is penalizing a service to a paying customer. It is Blizzard’s job to upkeep maintenance. I realize authenticator is an additional security measure. Security should also be foundational in that the game is cleanly secured. WoW token’s lawlessness destroyed more than it brought or solved.

The solution is not to penalize a customer in a subscription based service.

I also realize it is unlikely to acquisition, and pay, the number of staff required to moderate tens of thousands of LFG postings in real-time. WoW token had/has such a detrimentally cataclysmic affect on the spirit of World of Warcraft.

Here’s to hoping Dragonflight renews the spirit of competition in the community to do what is right and show some self-restraint when it comes to taking the easy way out with the WoW token.

My view is that the only reason the authentication system was put in was to force ‘burner’ accounts to get the authenticator, making them more easily trackable. Otherwise why make it so for people who are legit? Its a situation where innocent players are again punished by their attempts to stop external groups out to make money off Blizzard’s game.

4 Likes

The guy playing Pokémon go on 3 phones can still cheese that system

Same here. Clearly the “you must have an authenticator” action they took did not work. To punish the bulk of their customers because they don’t want to hire staff to monitor the game is just sad, and is probably part of the reason they’ve lost so many MAUs.

As for OP using a flip phone vs a smart phone. That’s his business, and it is sad that people mock him for a life choice.

2 Likes

^Exactly this. The change was made to prevent advertisements but it has 100% failed at its intended purpose. There are still just as many ads as before, if not more than ever.

Blizzard should eliminate the authenticator restriction, the only thing it does is penalize people who don’t have one, which was not the intended purpose.

3 Likes

Seems like a you problem.

Welp, looks like I’m not needed, you answered everything for yourself.

2 Likes

It’s abundantly clear you understand the rule perfectly.

It’s also clear you don’t like the rule.

How did you think this thread was going to go?

Your ridiculous tantrum subterfuge is because you’re 24, and haven’t the maturity to be direct with disliking being subject to the rule because of some grossly misplaced belief in nonexistent privilege you think you somehow deserve for your sub fee.

The rule is you need an Authenticator to use LFG to make your own title.

It’s not your game. It’s Activision-Blizzard’s. They make the rules.

Your sub fee buys you an access license that comes with TOS and rules within the game, none of which are negotiable.

People are trying to help you here and their responses are valid even if it’s not what you want to hear.

The lack of validity are your demeaning responses.

2 Likes

Most =/= All

4 Likes

It looks as if this post triggered people for some odd reason.

This post was intended to bring about a discussion as to why the authenticator is forced upon paid subscribers. I knew it bring out the forum ne’er do wells, but never did I realize they would be this triggered by such a simple topic.

3 Likes

welp,

people have reached a new level of stockholm syndrome, telling people to literally go buy a burner to accesses a feature of the game.

DADDY BLIZZARD BEATS ME THE BEST.

6 Likes

In my cute little gnome opinion, the rule requiring the authenticator for control over LFG (and the use of it at all, if you get that bug where it doesn’t enter your title) was a well-intentioned but very ineffective measure against carry ads in LFG.

1 Like

It’s not “forced.”

You can use LFG.

You just can’t make up your own custom title for the group.