Arthas' Redemption: The Death of Sylvanas

You don’t have to act like an abuse victim, to be an abuse victim, we all take it differently.

20 Likes

Arthas was a sociopathic monster who did nothing abuse and destroy people in bulk. Sylvanas may be past a redemption arc at this point if you ask me, but that sure as hell doesn’t mean Arthas deserves one.

13 Likes

The worst thing that can happen to Sylvanas is to end up in that room again with Arthas standing over her.

It would be poetic justice that after all she has done because of that. All the suffering she caused that she ends right back where she started.

Ironic justice. The most delicious kind that there is.
She could have done a thousand other things but she didn’t and now she has to pay for it.

2 Likes

Agreed. Sylvanas is a bad person but mostly because of trauma inflicted by Arthas due to her doing the right thing and defending her people selflessly.

The parallels with other real life… issues are extremely and uncomfortably clear, so having Arthas redeem himself by killing his own victim is something I can agree is a pretty bad way to go.

And in a less RL focused argument. Arthas chose his damnation, Sylvanas did not.

22 Likes

I absolutely loathe Sylvanas, but even I think that glorifying the man who killed her, stripped her of her free will, and used her as a tool is still pretty damn gross, no matter what she’s done.

31 Likes

I am not glorifying him.
I am just pointing out the delicious irony of causing so much suffering she ends up where she wanted to be the least.

3 Likes

Thats not poetic justice, thats just sadistic.

32 Likes

You’re calling it poetic and delicious, and let’s honestly get real given you’re posting history - you’re definitely glorifying him.

13 Likes

Is it? Its satisfying to me really.
Saurfang got off way too easy but at least Sylvanas will suffer.

Ok how am I glorifying him?

I just told you how you’re glorifying him. You are offering a scenario in which he is used as a vessel to get rid of a character you don’t like (which I don’t like too, but let’s be reasonable) in such a way that it’s gratifying and pleasurable. You’re crafting a narrative in which a horrific abuser who’s done nothing to show remorse or deserve redemption for his atrocities is the hero because he tortures his abuser yet again, despite how horrible she’s become herself.

That’s not poetic. That’s just gross.

13 Likes

You are. no point in denying it, even if you didn’t mean to, still you are.

Irony is well made, cohesive and have a back on the story, having arthas show up from nowhere just to punish sylvanas is just bad writing and criminal if someone look deeper( telling others that the abuser will always triumph no matter how strong you became to surpass the trauma, and of course subtle messages that can derail into sexism and etc.)

if you are so passionate to see a fictional character suffer in any way even if does not make sense with the lore, oh boy, I hope i never see you in person, you are truly not a stable mind.

3 Likes

Agreed. Poetic justice would be if her victims or her disallusioned forsaken that she betrayed were the ones to seal her away forever or whatnot.

Having Arthas break Sylvanas again for eternity when he was the only reason she didn’t die a perfectly good person with a good afterlife ahead of her is, frankly, sickening.

24 Likes

This thread makes me feel gross. Just no.

28 Likes

I don’t know, I feel like it’d be sufficiently “poetic justice” if she tries to supplant the Jailer, only to realize he wanted out because being the Jailer is a horrible, nightmarish existence from which there’s no escape once you’re in. Like the job’s compulsive, and the Jailer is compelled to eternally punish the wicked while at the same time feeling their torment him/herself the entire time.

Thus rewarding all the loss and suffering she’s caused to “escape Death” by thinking she could control it with a miserable eternity stuck in a role where she’s made to forever dish out and experience the worst Death has to offer.

Thereby making Bolvar’s warning atop ICC that such power would become her prison more prophetic than either of them realized at the time.

17 Likes

Yes. Thats exactly the purpose.
Sylvanas is a smug prideful villain that has caused untold misery and deserves to pay the highest price for it. And that means ending up in the worst hell possible.

If that involves Arthas then so be it. I don’t care if it is gross, sadistic, I have no empathy for Sylvanas.
I would actually find it hilariously satisfying.
So Arthas is just a means to an end. Nothing more than that.

And btw the best thing to happen is Tyrande bests Sylvanas and throws her down to the pit where Arthas is. Rather than Arthas heroically showing up.
I think this would give me closure for BFA where Sylvanas is concerned.

1 Like

Frankly, given how 1/2 of the covenants are shown to be able to purge souls of impurities why even go the torture route? Once she’s beaten down and depowered, Just send her as an extra special guest to the Venthyr. She’ll have a bad time for however long it’ll take to rehabilitate her, and hopefully by the end the good person she once was will be all that remains.

I’m extremely not on board with the idea of eternal torture for the actions of another, even disregarding the extremely unfortunate implications of it in this scenario.

2 Likes

(Commentary): Let’s not pretend that Sylvanas was THAT good of a person when alive. Even at that point she considered people to be, ‘arrows in her quiver.’ Death made the worst qualities about her all the more pronounced and freed her from her already questionable sense of morality.

(Commentary): I rather disagree. Arthas had been picked by Ner’zhul long, long ago and was carefully molded into exactly what the Lich King needed him to be. I’d argue Arthas never had a choice in anything, really. He was manipulated from day one. I mean, it was Ner’zhul. The guy was a Chess Master. Assuming for a moment that Arthas even once chose to do something different, Ner’zhul would’ve had dozens of backup plots to ensnare the man. If Arthas hadn’t purged Stratholme, his forces would’ve been overwhelmed, he himself might’ve died, and Mal’ganis would’ve brought his corpse to Northrend to become a Death Knight, while the Scourge ran roughshod over Lordaeron. If Arthas hadn’t picked up Frostmourne, he and his men would’ve been over-run by the Scourge, he would have died, and Mal’ganis would’ve brought his corpse to Ner’zhul to be made into a Death Knight. If he’d returned to Lordaeron when recalled, the Scourge in Northrend would’ve moved south under Mal’ganis’ leadership, Lordaeron would’ve fallen, and Arthas would’ve fallen and become a Death Knight anyways. There was never a scenario where he could’ve avoided his fate. He was never in control of it.

5 Likes

She died to save her people, and before Arthas pulled her out of the Shadowlands she had apparently been sent to a good afterlife, so she couldn’t have been that bad.

20 Likes

(Commentary): She probably would’ve ended up in Bastion, but as we all know, Bastion isn’t exactly the home for nice people necessarily. I’m not saying she was absolutely evil and foul, far from it, but she wasn’t what I would call a, ‘Good Person.’

1 Like

I like this. Just one thing i would like a little more to it. While i like the idea that she now dishes out punishment and at the same times receives it, i would like it if she was now over all of the shadowlands and is one of Deaths major entities. This gives her options of being something more in the future should they go there.

3 Likes