Argus pets achievements post-stampede nerf

Just as I knew it would happen since this change was announced, old pet content has become absurdedly more difficult now, plus many guides and tips that players have written over the years are now useless since many boss-pet fights revolved around Shattered Defenses

I’m currently trying to do Argus’ bosses “family” achievements… The nerf has double-dipped effect on the player now since Shattered Defenses not only makes many fights unwinnable to us, but in the case of bosses that have stampede-like effects and do survive until their 3rd round of it, they now usually always kill a pet in that 3rd row of stampede. As you know 1 dead pet 1 turn before it should can make all the difference

And, while I’m only going through this torture of you not planning this massive change enough in Argus, I’m sure most if not all pet battle content has been similarly affected

Extremely easy and quick fix: nerf pet-bosses buffs that reduce their damage taken (currently at 50%) like “boss”, “legendary” and “elite”. Change the amount they reduce to offset your stupid nerf to shattered defenses.
Or just remove it from old content pets at this point.

6 Likes

I got to Gloamwing & ragequit for the day. The RNG on these fights is so insane no matter what strats you try. Very overtuned & very frustrating. I think I went from 100+ pet bandages to 20 on one single fight.

1 Like

This is a big issue. It blocks out many achievements and a pet. I was able to complete Krokuun with some difficulty on certain bosses (only beat them with lucky crits), but like Uoylliki I had to stop at Gloamwing. I don’t think there is enough RNG to even beat it.

2 Likes

Which family of pets or is it all of them?

Update:
Yep this fight needs re-tuning. Reducing attack power from the ridiculously high 510 would be a good start. Allowing the use of lower health pets and therefor extending the pool of pets that can used.

That said here is a general solution for composing dot teams to beat this fight.

Pet 1
Speed > 301 and
Health at least 1480 or higher

Pet 2
a dot ability and
a dot multiplier ability
health should be greater than pet 3

Pet 3
2 dot abilities

Fight sequence

Pet 1: Pass and get swapped out
Pet 2: dot then dot multiplier. Pass and get swapped out.
Pet 3: dot 1, dot 2. Pass and get swapped out.
Pet 1: use whatever attack, this combined with the dots ticking should win the fight.

Since xu-fu had only 2 undead solutions I put up another as an example to follow. It uses widget the departed as the first pet.

Doesn’t look like Gloamwing’s attack power is the issue as he is doing the same amount of damage with his Void Gate and Predator Strike ability as originally done. It is either his slicing wind that they bumped up the damage or they reduced the DR of Spirit Spikes. Previously he only did 187 damage per hit vs Spirit Spikes and now he does 257 damage per hit. Now this fight is impossible for Aquatic Assault with the previous strategy using Benax, Gulp Froglet and Ghostshell Crab as he kills the crab in round 3 every time. I guess forcing people to endlessly farm for the Gulp Froglet or pay way to much in the AH for one wasn’t enough for Blizzard (on top of the ridiculous amount of pet bandages and time you have to spend WITH this combo to win anyways!) Now maybe there is a new combo that will work with all the new battle pets out there. Maybe. But nothing says “bruised ego” quite like changing the rules so you never lose.

I did this achievement when it was current content and it was super hard back then. I don’t think it would be as hard now as there would be a lot of newer pets which might make it easier. Back then, even with the right pets, it was all rng. It was very frastrating and I remember some fights taking at least 50+ attempts to get them. My advice is to get a stat and just pray you have the rng gods on your side. good luck :slight_smile: