Arena Templates (Legion)

Would love to see this again in Shadowlands.
I enjoy running M+ and raids on the side, but I don’t like it being required so I can do arenas.

Initially I didn’t like the idea (pre-Legion), but after playing in Legion I loved it. Please, bring back templates.

30 Likes

sir you are on dangerous territory talking about templates on this forum but i agree templates weren’t bad but prepare for the endless flame you will experience from this post

No thanks. We want to be forced to farm content we don’t enjoy so we can have the illusion of player choice.

34 Likes

So there are a lot of players on the Arena forums that really just love grinding M+ and Raids so they can actually do arenas?

No, they hate it. But they think if their spec had 62% mastery and 15% haste or whatever the devs decide it will ruin PvP for them despite their spec still being 100% viable and competitive and the fact that every other spec will get the same treatment (btw destro wouldn’t be able to stack haste).

7 Likes

Wanted to make a thread about this again.

When they removed templates the people for it claimed they’d get to be more unique but if you look at every warrior they all have vers-> haste on every single piece.

Every pally vers>crit

Every mage Vers>haste

The only class i know that occasionally does change its gear is destro locks (yay?)

Let’s stop lying to ourselves with this illusion of choice. The only thing removing templates did was force us to have to do tons of content we don’t want to do in order to get what templates already gave us. A level playing field.

In legion if i was playing wow 90% of the time i was queing arena, now 90% of my time is spent doing chores.

I know we all have time for chores because of the state of the world but that won’t be the case forever.

26 Likes

Forget templates, just make pve gear less competitive in PvP, bring back vendors, and make it so you can gear in PvP.

23 Likes

This is what I see when I read posts like this.

16 Likes

I cant speak for anyone else but i only do pve content so i can compete in wpvp/bg’s arena
If it was not needed i would very casually pve.

2 Likes

Oh sorry, are we not allowed to give feedback in a thread that’s giving feedback?

2 Likes

Why not templates tho? just because its a trigger word for some people on these forums? if i remember wod pvp gear was 2 options for stats? and it was very obvious which stats were better so legitimately it was a template.

The big advantage of template’s over just fake templates (fixed stats from vendor’s) is it actually gives blizzard an easy way to tune our little mini game without impacting the raiders. Legion had its issue’s but by the end of the expac the classes were balanced.

12 Likes

no they like the illusion of choice vendors bring also i never see (good) pvp vendors coming back like what we had in mop

they are very optimistic and believe ion will just bring back good vendors and not just taking the safest option of templates even though essentially pvp vendors are templates with a barrier of entry because everyone past the 1600 bracket just pick the best pvp gear for their spec that they google online anyway

but be prepared the final boss abomb hasn’t seen this post yet he loves pve gear in pvp and thinks corruption is great god speed to you

1 Like

Sorry if that came off as mean. I’m just saying I see that kind of response all the time. “Don’t want templates, just want A, B, C, D, and E”. I’m just saying the reality is that stuff is not very likely to occur.

1 Like

It’s still a mmo, having something to grind for is good. If there’s templates then maybe cooler rewards or something

1 Like

The legion system had this though?

It was small but players who really wanted to max their AP did hit a tiny bit harder than those who didn’t. Same with your gear if you had perfect gear you hit a little harder than someone without perfect gear.

I still did m+ in legion for my chest to get gear for a while and was excited when a pvp reward gave me an upgrade.

I feel as though better rewards are a separate issue, i think the cockroach and current glad system sucks though.

6 Likes

Grinding can be fun too though.
Just because it’s a grind doesn’t mean it has to be something you don’t enjoy.
Let the grind be climbing the ranks of the ladder again instead of “grind all this other stuff just so you can start grinding the ladder.”

Legion I thought pulled it off pretty well, we had a solid template so a fresh character could still compete in arenas, but there was a definite difference between a fresh 110 and a geared 110.

Also, with templates, all the additional skills that classes are getting back will be more impactful. You’ll see the players that are actually good at the class instead of just the ones who got lucky drops.

Legion templates were incredibly boring. When people said they didn’t want templates they were implying they wanted wod and before systems back.

Having full vendor conquest gear created a controlled environment that the devs could actually balance around. That’s what people want when they bashed templates and continue to do so.

Templates sucked. Two wrongs doesn’t make a right.

12 Likes

Templates mean you are playing the same character with no growth for 3 years.

And when blizzard gets your template wrong you will be playing a scuffed character that you cant fix for 3 years.

4 Likes

I actually think its the opposite.

Templates meant when a class sucked or was too strong they were able to fix the class without impacting pve which meant changes actually happened.

As opposed to our current system >.>

3 Likes

Your character never actually grows in power. it’s all relative. Is your character stronger now than in Season 1? Absolutely yes, but relative to other players no. You are the same as you were. All templates do is remove the work required to “keep up with the Joneses”.

As compared to now where you get a scuffed spec that is also worthless for 3 years? I don’t see any places where gearing has allowed a bad spec to flourish. For example look at Affliction right now. In Legion every spec I decided to get 2k on for a PvP was more than viable despite what some might consider incorrect template stat allocation.

10 Likes