Arena Season 1 Requirements Updated

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/beta-arena-rating-update-may-15/964984

Pog.

8 Likes

That all sounds pretty good.

1 Like

Dope! And people said our posts pointing out the bad change were not gonna effect anything

8 Likes

Thank god. This is at least doesn’t completely destroy it all. I think these changes are completely reasonable.

6 Likes

Yup, fully agree. It’s effectively most of what I asked for in the first place.

Shame they don’t go with the 1500
Start, that’s the authentic situation; I suspect the reason for “zero start” is they are using the retail arena system and don’t want to build anything to save a dollar… =/

4 Likes

That is probably true, but my biggest worry was the complete absence of arena participation from casuals because of both changes that happened at the same time. Now that the only gear requirements are weapon and shoulders and they are at a MUCH more reasonable rating requirement, and on top of them increasing points for 200-1500, I think this will give a TON of more casuals reasons to play.

2 Likes

Excellent. Starting teams at 1500, increasing arena point generation and lowering the weapons to 1850 are all the right decisions while still requiring the rating for the weapon in the first place (to dissuade hoarding of points for a “free” S2 weapons on S2 launch).

Blizzard was reading our posts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe (unless I misread) teams still start at 0, but now they gain more pts for the 200-1500 range

1 Like

Oh, wompwomp.

It’s not perfect, but it’s a lot better of a middle ground

1850 was always the best compromise. The 2050 rating change predominately hurt the “hardstuck” 1800 player. The sub 1400 players were unaffected because they got so little points (this has now been changed). The 2000+ players were also unaffected by the change. Really the poor 1800-1900 players that WOULD have had the points but now wouldn’t have the rating were the true victims of the change. Even though that’s a very small slice of the playerbase, I’m glad that they have now been included.

As I’ve been posting:

Yeah they don’t start at 1500 but they fixed the main issue behind not starting at 1500 which is casual participation. With the increased points at lower ranks, and the removal of req for set pieces besides shoulders and 1850 weaps a TON more people will feel the desire to arena for gear now. And 1850 weaps is MUCH MUCH more reasonable

1 Like

Yep, Bear corrected me. Read the announcement too fast.

This is perfect.

2 Likes

This opens weapons to the top probably 20% instead of 1-3%. I think it’s appropriate for S1-2 at least, probably 3.

I still think there should be no rating requirements at all for S1 and S2. This is a step in the right direction. However, As per usual, it comes after two steps in the wrong direction.

Arena may not be completely DOA now, but it could still be better.

2 Likes

Don’t worry the same people that were complaining about 2050 weapons won’t be getting the 1850 weapons.

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

This just isn’t statistically true, you just like to troll the arena threads and tell everyone git gud

2 Likes

Ok so going from 0-1500 isn’t going to be a completely abyssmally unrewarding venture. That’s great!

So lets calculate this…200-1500 will be yielding

• 214-344 points per week for 5v5 arenas
  • 188-302 points per week for 3v3 arenas
  • 162-261 points per week for 2v2 arenas
  • The 261, 302, 344 are for 1500 rating normally.
  • The low end 162,188,214 are for 905 2v2 rating, 907 3v3 rating and 909 5v5 rating as a floor. This means a rating of 200 will be the same as Original TBC’s low 900s and slowly rises to 1500s rating.
  • So AFKing 10 games will still be really unrewarding, but people who don’t grind 0-1500 in the first week won’t be getting like 50-60 arena points also.
  • The formula for ratings above 1500 remains unchanged, from the original Burning Crusade formulas, and rapidly starts awarding a lot more points once you pass 1500.

So completely unchanged after 1500. That’s completely fine. Note that this unchanged system from original TBC created a soft rating requirement due to how little points you actually gained from arena until you were higher rated.

We also realized that putting the final Season 4 rating requirements on the Season 1 gear was a bit too restrictive for Season 1

That’s putting it lightly. Unless its intended to make the season 1 weapons more exclusive than the number of guilds that have sunwell on farm in the first week.

which is when we want to encourage a lot of participation so players can have a wide field of competitors to measure their skills against

I’m really glad that Shadowlands can provide something that helps classic in some way.

When original Burning Crusade first came out, lots of players felt compelled to join Arenas to improve item slots they hadn’t had luck with in dungeons

GONNA BE HONEST, THIS WAS NOT A SEASON 1 THING. There’s a reason why there were 1,000 gladiators in season 1, 3,000 in season 2 and 5,000 in season 3…and its not because massive amounts of people were compelled to get their weapons in Season 1 arena. The entire idea of PvEers gearing through arena only really started IN SEASON 2.

What really ran wild through season 2, 3 and 4 was BADGE GEAR.

#historylesson

and we want to make sure that possibility continues to exist, while preserving the prestige of earning the best gear for the higher ratings.
This stuff was pretty introductory and when compared to T4 content, shouldn’t need an exclusivity that far exceeds that of people clearing T6 content.

• We’re going to use the rating requirements that were originally introduced with The Burning Crusade’s 3rd season, which requires a rating of 2000 for shoulders and 1850 for weapons.
  • The rest of the gear will have no rating requirements.
  • When Season 2 launches, we expect to use those same rating requirements for the Season 2 gear, while removing all requirements from the season 1 gear at that time.

Instead of putting in a 1st week sunwell farm level of effort to obtain your T4 equivalent gear, you will instead need to put in a BT/Hyjal farm level of effort to obtain your T4 equivalent gear. It’s much better than it was but history will show all of us how good that will be for the majority of players.

We’ll keep an eye on how this feels in Season 1 as we watch how players approach this system, and we’ll keep Seasons 3 and 4 in mind as we develop potential tweaks or further improvements.

Remember, in seasons 3 and 4 the gear levels WERE strong and the requirements in PvE WERE high…so the OG ratings in Season 3 and 4 were both fair.

Overall, our goal remains to make Arenas accessible and rewarding

The speed of acquiring ANY piece of gear when you don’t have a very high rating will still be so slow that you are better off stockpiling it for season 2. But that is ok, that’s the way it was in original TBC. Putting a high rating requirement on gear doesn’t make it accessible, especially for entry level gear.

while reserving the most prestigious rewards – such as the new rank 1 title “the Infernal Gladiator” – for the very top players, and we hope these changes will help strike that balance.

Yeah. We kinda expect that. And yes, rank 1 was definitely not something people even thought about in Season 1, so it makes sense to make it exclusive to the season in some way.

On Tuesday (May 18), we’re going to end the current “season” in the Burning Crusade Classic Beta and we’re going to test our end of season calculations and rewards. Please feel free to test rated Arenas for the next couple of days and then check back into the Beta after Tuesday to see how that went.

Its nice they are testing the system, but keep in mind the general skill level of the people playing the beta to test will be a lot higher than the waves of people playing on launch.

2 Likes

You have a source for that claim?