Are we perhaps missing a trick with Ret?

That depends on what you think of as important. Pushing off a shadow priests shadow weaving is gonna annoy them and the locks. Pushing off fire vulnerability/winter’s chill is gonna annoy mages.

Some things you’d think won’t get pushed off, do get pushed off. There’s no real way to control it unfortunately.

Excuse me what?

Are you seriously telling me that consecration, despite just being a low damage aoe spell, for some reason takes up some invisible debuff slot?

Guys… Really?

So my spell that isn’t a debuff and doesn’t show up as a debuff is a debuff?

Do you hear yourselves?

1 Like

Yes. I’m not kidding.

It used to be a visible debuff, until patch 1.9 when it became an invisible one. And then I think in TBC It stopped being an invisible one too, but I’m not sure about that second part. I do know that right now it uses a debuff slot. If all slots are used, it will bump one off.

Consecration - No longer displays a debuff icon on targets in the area of effect.

How it sounds is crazy I know, but I’ve tested it repeatedly.

… So the question then becomes, why the HELL is it that way?

That would be like rain of fire taking up a debuff slot.

Because Blizzard logic. They made a mistake, they later corrected it. They did a lot of funky tricks back then to rig stuff into working for engine limitation reasons. Of course, since we are using the modern client they could fix it.

I could be wrong but I actually think it does.

I sincerely doubt other class’s AoE abilities take up a debuf slot unless talented to also dispense debuffs.

That’s some beyond the grave Kalgan BS.

2 Likes

The real kicker, is why did they remove the debuff icon, and NOT remove the debuff? It just confuses people.

3 Likes

Hard to see it as anything but intentional malice.

It’s just an aoe spell, and a weak one at that.

Edit: maybe in beta it applied a slow effect or some such crap, idk.

See you all in TBC, I guess.

I think you’re underestimating the number of nonsensical technical quirks from Vanilla.

Nah, not really. I do work in IT myself.

There’s no excuse AT ALL for it to be that way.

None at all.

Especially not in the modern client.

There is literally no reason nor set of reasons, no series of events, nor any excuse, for why one and only one class’s aoe spell consumes a debuff slot, despite not being a debuff.

Go ahead. Try. Try to make that make sense.

I’m not saying it makes sense. I was here almost 3 years ago arguing against “No-change” literalists from day one of Classic’s announcement.

1 Like

Well then we’re on the same page.

I hope the #NoChanges people have learned their (painful) lesson.

Sure but it seems like you were trying to convey 16 paladins would use consecration at the same time to lower the raid’s potential DPS and consecration does more dps than Curse of Weakness (just an example, I am aware they are both different debuffs with different purposes) which actually has a lower debuff priority than all the other curses hence why it falls off so easily and not worth the GCD to use unless your tanks are really low geared or don’t know how to gear properly for each encounter.

SotC was added in the release patch of 1.1 which was the patch that WoW released under. Patch 1.2.2 nerfed it 4 months later. Before patch 1.9 and diminishing returns, JoC was better than SoR for dps if you had improved seal of justice 5/5 on non stun immune bosses. Many people might not remember this, but SoR used to not proc on every hit. So yeah, SoC’s less than stellar proc chance is all there was (it was and still is terrible). Hindsight is there simply to torture you.

And yeah, I don’t know if anyone remembers the rumors that circulated in game that SotC was nerfed because of a duel, but one of the devs participating in the duel confirmed it.

https://archive.org/stream/World_of_Warcraft_World_of_Warcraft_BradyGames_Official_Strategy_Guide#page/n121/mode/2up

In case anyone wanted a look at the actual beta abilities that got tested.

It’s not the only class that has that problem. It’s the only class where it is relevant. I think it’s less fair that single target channel spells (already at a disadvantage) take up debuff slots. Blizzard, rain of fire, hellfire, hurricane (takes 2), volley all take a debuff slot too. It’s just that no one uses them on single target fights when every one of those classes have better single target options, unlike paladin.

Only after 1.9 where Ret was nerfed.

Rets very early had BoK as their 31 pt talent, had precision in Ret tree, and Divine Favor was an 11 point talent.

With bugged, talented Crusader, talented BoM, and judged wisdom, a Ret could maintain 300+ DPS in a 5 man with nothing more than a Brain Hacker.

This is all before the Naxx DPS patch.

Against undead, those numbers were elevated even further. Considering how much other classes at the time were doing, Rets were pretty strong.

Then again we had no greater blessings…and it made me very angry (

hmmm, my avatar changed and it won’t let me change it back!

False. The top end rets are pushing over 800 dps on a lot of fights now. No garbage geared feral is coming anywhere near that.

What are you talking about lol