Are we another social experiment?

Luckily the wealthy don’t have to care about slip ups like that!

1 Like

Say wut? The American Dream still exists.

/cough
Wanted to add a ‘real’ reply to the title (I haven’t really read all the comments tho’)…

I don’t think WoW is a social experiment. However, as someone interested in human behavior, I find WoW pretty fascinating from a personal perspective.

It’s a learning experience to watch how people find every which way to prop themselves up on pedestals yet also excuse themselves from treating others poorly.

And I should add, I’m no saint; nor am I a WoW player that is so good everyone else is so bad. But I’ve never claimed either. This is just a game. All of it. So it’s strange to encounter so many other folks who don’t seem to view it that way.

2 Likes

No. You’re wrong. No one is mad at me. No one dislikes me. I’m unsure what you think I should give up on but that won’t happen. Nor I did not ruin this thread or any other thread. I know it would make you feel good if I believed all of the rotten things you’ve said because that’s your way, the Millennial way. You can’t feel good about yourself unless you are being combative with someone, aggressive with someone, be it microaggression or full on bullying. I won’t coddle you and hand you a trophy for being a failure. I will simply remove myself from your presence because I am too good for you. You’re welcome to stay here and spread your piss and vinegar – but remember there’s a reason you are alone. You will ALWAYS be alone as long as you continue.

You have no power here… or anywhere else for that matter.

…end thread.

Nah you got clapped buddy.

Man I wish I was a Millennial, then my wife and I would have another thing in common.

Anyways, you inadvertently made this thread into a social study of it’s own:
Will forum users habitually turn all discussions into a “gotcha” duel where one simply tries over and over to discredit the other person, or is the idea of compromise and coming to an understanding still alive in the digital age?

Technically the AD still exists, yeah, but it’s not what it was.

The current American Dream is to create and grow something that gains enough traction so you get bought out by a multinational company for the IP and trademark portfolio.

Still there yes, but different from the 2.5 kids and house in the burbs schtick.

1 Like

You are significantly the most aggressive and combative person in this thread.

You’ve lashed out at anyone who didn’t play along with your concept.

1 Like

What is this “American Dream”?

Honestly, I’m wondering what that looks like.

1 Like

Additional characters.

Oh, I see the American Dream as becoming financially successful enough that you can buy and own your own little ‘kingdom’ (house, land. etc.) and enjoy the good things life has to offer.

What are these “good things” life has to offer?

(Honest question, I’m interested in what that looks like)

Well, depends on the person. A more concise word might be ‘hobbies’ or a brief description might be ‘things that provide personal fulfillment and contentment.’

In Jara’s case he mentioned something that sounded like an entrepreneurial business (though I dunno if that was sarcasm?). In my case it might be something like growing a beautiful garden or traveling to places I want to see or reading all the works of my favorite apologetics.

#vapenation

I couldn’t find a cool gif explaining the meaning of life, but here is one explaining the meaning of these forums.

1 Like

An idea formed in the 30s that said “life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement” (James Adams).

It implies a meritocracy, each according to his abilities in other words. It’s an ideal and like all ideals not something that has ever been truly lived up to. I could point to some examples to show where it has but that wouldn’t amount to it actually being anything more than an aspiration at best.

Hello, and yeah, your post is real, as its a comment on the topic. As you say, WOW can be a learning experience. The corrupted blood incident was not an experiment, but certainly was a learning experience for many. different. minds. Priceless data on an actual (digital) Pandemic, start to finish, and extra priceless was the data on how that pandemic affected the population’s behavior as compared to before the pandemic. Priceless data cause its digital, no guessing.
Extra priceless cause the effects were so clearly revealed. I’m sure WOW is still being studied, cause and effect. Watch for a change, watch the peeps it affects, study the effects. If you owned the World, you could introduce changes.
Wow isn’t a place for social experiments, but might be ideal for Sociological experiments. Oh, and have you noticed how bright some of those 15 year olds are now-days? I remember being 15. We worried a lot, or rather, took it as a given that Nuclear War was an any day, any moment major event in our personal near future. Whoops, kinda off-topic.

1 Like

Not sure what the alternative is? Living in continual cynicism about life?

Real life defeatism?

Folks who believe in the concept of the American Dream are generally those who are more resilient and more grateful for blessings that will come their way.

I’ve always thought WoW is probably a ‘playground of research’ for folks who study sociology. :grin:

But what makes those things “American” or so specifically the American Dream?

I’m just honestly confused on what that means.

Is it home, spouse, 2.5 kids, 2 cars and a pet?

Is it just accomplishing goals (because that seems like just a generic dream which isn’t a bad thing)?

Well, I defined what the American Dream generally means to me. The underlying concept is that as an American (US citizen) you have the freedom to pursue a better life for yourself. It may mean something different to someone who views it differently, or who doesn’t believe in it or whatever.

In the past (1950s? I dunno) ‘the American Dream’ probably meant a secure job and income, along with a ‘nice house’ in a ‘nice area,’ and a ‘good marriage and kids.’

1 Like