Are orcs and trolls mammals? What about night elves?

… is… is that a new playable race in retail?
:rofl:

2 Likes

I would totally play a Squirrel Warlock

2 Likes

That would be… nuts!

Wahhh couldn’t help myself!

2 Likes

Orcs are most definitely mammals. We saw Thrall’s birth in the movie.

Trolls… well their regenerative powers do mean they could reproduce by budding. Sort of grow a baby off their leg or shoulder etc.

Them mams aint for milk

All the playable races in WoW are mammals.

1 Like

Technically since they don’t derive from the same original Chordata Phylum, or even the Animaila Kingdom… none of them are in the Mammalia Class of creatures.

We don’t share a common ancestor.

You sure?

Well, I am researching on my own as well. It appears hair is a uniquely mammalian trait, so if all the races have hair, then it looks like that could imply they are all truly mammals.

Do… do dolphins have hair? They are mammals…

Well, I’m glad you asked this question! Apparently, dolphins are born with a mustache! Weird but true!

http://i2.wp.com/thescuttlefish.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/DECEMBER-15-2020-NATAL-MOUSTACHE-captioned-USE1.png?resize=478%2C364

Mammaries.

/End thread.

2 Likes

Yep. Every single member of the Animalia Kingdom evolved on Earth.

Please point to a single example of an exo-species in the Animalia Kingdom. :wink:

I found a single example: Stitch spotted in Animal Kingdom! He’s not from this world!!

Please point to where being native to Earth is a requirement for being classified as an animal.

Although taxonomists disagree about the identity of major animal groups and the relationships among them, most agree that Animalia is monophyletic. This means that all animals can trace their descent to a single common ancestor.

http://www.biologyreference.com/A-Ar/Animalia.html#ixzz5uoMtnGB7

What is the common ancestor between Orcs and Earth based life?

I don’t think you read the assignment.

“Most agree that Animalia is monophyletic” does not mean a common ancestor must be shared to be considered an animal.

Given that most people in the field agree that it is, and taxonomy is generally by consensus, I’d say that its pretty much a requirement.

We’ll get a definitive answer only after scientists are required to give one. Kind of like how we can argue all we like about what will happen in Classic, but until launch we can prove who’s right.

They agree that it is monophyletic. That says nothing about that being a requirement.

The only reason they can come to that agreement is because the only animal life known by mankind in the universe is on Earth. We’re talking about a fictional setting and the numerous species of humanoid races therein, and whether they’d be classified as mammals.

Your argument is that they wouldn’t be because animals on Earth share a common ancestry, but can’t reference any material saying that a species must share a common ancestry to be considered animals, only that the animals on Earth do share a common ancestor.

1 Like

Because since we have no exo-species taxonomy, there has been no definitive declaration. However, as is generally accepted, Animalia share a common ancestor, therefore that would either have to change or a new Kingdom created, when exo-species are found.

Or we discover that Earth and Azeroth were birthed through pan-sp**mia which was where the joke was supposed to go.

Also, seriously, word filter much Blizzard?