Are old gods we 'killed' still in their prison? Problem with new interview

Alright so, yogg-saron was supposed to be like the size of half of northrend, and in the new interview on wowhead, it is stated that yes, yoga salon and c’thun are dead. So what is in their prisons? just their dead -true- bodies? It would have made much more sense if we didn’t consider yogg saron and c’thin dead because we clearly did not fight their real bodies, their real physical beings. I wish the dev team would have thought about this more. Also, N’zoth’s prison (nyalotha) that we saw in war bringers: azshara didn’t seem much like a prison, nothing looked like it was confining n’zoth. I always had better hopes asthetically for the titan prisons of the old gods. Anyways, this new interview is practically saying that old gods, which can be as big as half a continent are dead because we killed a couple of tiny representations of them in raids. I mean really? If c’thun was truly out of his true prison built by the titans, he wouldn’t pop on the surface looking like the size of a pea compared to their lore sizes.

TLDR: Old gods are really huge, interview says we killed yogg and c’thun when their true bodies weren’t freed from their titan prison and we only fought manifestations of them.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/

3 Likes

Good point.

Possible explanation one. “The titans slayed most of Yogg’Saron and C’thun. It’s why you see bits of Yogg’Saron all over Northrend. Then they had to imprison the living remnants.”

This isn’t perfect, but it works well enough. Only real problem is explaining why the Titans could only kill 90% of an old god safely but somehow killing that last 10% would be a disaster. But we had the same problem with Yshaarj so it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Or they’ll retcon it with some explanation along the lines of “only their living forms within our universe are dead.”

This would probably work best. They can justify the distinction by explaining that with their living forms dead they have no affect on Azeroth without a means of egress from the Void and to tell the full story would be to spoil the future plot.

2 Likes

Well Afrasiabi said we should consider them dead but then followed it up with claim that death isn’t the end in WoW AKA they’re not actually dead.

This is the full answer:

World of Warcraft and the Warcraft’s universe dead isn’t always dead. If there was a coming of forth of the Old Gods or herald of the Old Gods come down from the great dark-- I can see that easily happening. Not saying that happening, I’m just saying death isn’t the end of the line in World of Warcraft, and it really never has been. I think that’s kind of been from your character to the world around you. There is a cycle.

So i’m interpreting that answer as that Old Gods aren’t actually dead.

9 Likes

My hope is that, when we killed them, their bodies dissapated the same way Y’Shaarj’s heart does at the end of SoO.

Leaving behind a bunch of huge empty caverns that can end up being explored later.

This is how I’m taking it. Otherwise the prisons were pointless and they could have just been killed instead of imprisoned.

4 Likes

Either that or “Death” has a different meaning when it comes to beings like the Old Gods. I mean … I’d find it SUPER weird if any other Old God other than Y’shaarj was truly “gone”.

• C’thun was active again in the Bastion of Twilight, and the writers even went so far as to retcon Med’an so C’thun has MORE reason to be an active force (even dead) than before.
  • Yogg-Saron was claimed to be active again in Uldaur as late as of Legion (with that short little quest). Yeah, he may be “dead”, but it doesn’t seem like its slowing him down much.
  • Hell, Xal is back (heavily weakened, but back) and one could easily argue that she’s died TWICE. Once when she was shoved into that dagger, once when we drained her on Sargaras’ sword.

Bluntly, with the way Y’shaarj went down it seems like the only way to truly “kill” and Old God (in that you render them in such a way where their essence can’t manifest and exercise its will) is to drain them entirely of all their power. They’re like a battery that only really “dies” once they’re used up.

But they also ripped most of Y’shaarj out of azeroth. So maybe we did kill them but like a plant of we don’t get the roots it’ll grow back

Old gods don’t die we only beat them into a coma, the only old god to be killed was Yashj when the titans ripped that one out but, like a nasty wound they realize they can’t do that to the others without harming Azeroth and leaving what essentially is a scar

Considering their origin, they probably follow the same logic as elementals and demons.

2 Likes

Or you know, they are dead.

1 Like

He’s saying they’re dead until Blizzard decides they’re not dead anymore. Same thing as with everything else in this game.

11 Likes

No… Please… Not the yoga salons…

Azeroth will not survive the coming apocalypse of totes bored af Blood Elves, deprived of a source of their pretentiousness.

5 Likes

mother of god…

They aren’t actually dead. They are simply being set aside until they are needed again for the story. We have only fought their avatar’s/physical manifestations. Comparing the actual size of an Old God with how we see them in game proves that it isn’t the real deal with them at max power. Don’t listen to Pyromancer. Don’t take that interview as the end all be all. They are only considered dead to the player/lore characters because they aren’t aware of the truth. They are slowly regaining their energy inside their prison and waiting for the time to strike once again. We know they still have to corrupt Nozdormu and that isn’t something that can be changed.

9 Likes

I want to know what source says we only killed “avatar’s” of Yogg-saron and C’thun.

2 Likes

I don’t have an exact source but there is still plenty of evidence. First off Old Gods are WAY bigger than how we see them in game. C’Thun at full size can be seen on the art for the Black Empire chapter in the Chronicles Volume 1 book, and compared to his size in the Volume 3 book/how we see him in game he is much much smaller. Same can be said for Yogg-Saron who is described to be the size of Northrend, which we know is true considering his blood is seen all throughout. We also see Yogg-Saron still active in the Legion pre-patch when we investigate Ulduar. There are Faceless Ones being summoned through clouds of Saronite Gas and you can also hear Yogg whispering. We ALSO know that Nozdormu being corrupted and turned into Muruzond is a GUARANTEED future which happens due to him being corrupted by the Old Gods which is plural. If C’Thun and Yogg-Saron were dead then their minions would also have stopped their activity, yet we see C’Thuns minions active after Sargeras stabs Silithus, and like earlier we see Yogg-Sarons minions active while returning to Ulduar. The World Soul would be in TERRIBLE shape if we did actually kill C’Thun and Yogg-Saron. The reason they are smaller when we fight them is because they can only manifest a SMALL fraction of their true power, which mortals were able to put a stop to them rather than a full army of titan minions going against them at full strength.

1 Like

Assuming that’s C’Thun and not one of the massive Forgotten Ones that seem largely underground. That said, I think that idea is meant to hold true. That most of the Old Gods are below ground and we just fight their head/brain area.

Active seems a stretch. Maybe active in the way Y’Shaarj was post-death.

That dern Yoga Salon, putting decent yoga classes and nail salons outta business!

I’m of the opinion that everything after Uldar is a void dream that occurred because Yogg-saron realized we’d kill ‘him’ otherwise. Yes… I just inceptioned it… is your top still spinning, mine is.

You know the rule of Marvel that says nothing and no one is ever actually dead?

That.

3 Likes