Are Nightborne still immortal?

Many of the ones around today were alive during the war of the ancients, 10,000 years ago. Presumably the nightwell was what kept them immortal, but is there any indication that with its loss they have lost their immortality?

I would think that with the Nightwell gone, Nightbourne are no longer immortal. The magic fruit tree just freed themselves from the magic addiction the Nightwell caused.

And I doubt it is something blizzard would go into.

6 Likes

That’s a fair assumption. The only evidence to the contrary off the top of my head is the fact that Thalyssra and the others showed little concern for letting the Nightwell dissipate. If it would cost them their immortality, you’d think there would be more concern, kind of like when Malfurion sacrificed the night elf immortality to stop Archimonde and Tyrande was questioning such a sacrifice.

4 Likes

The Players will be dead long before anyone will notice the difference.

4 Likes

Maybe that is why Thalyssra is so eager to get into Lor’themar’s pants :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That some seriously cougar action there, she’s several times his age lol

5 Likes

Why would the Nightborne be immortal? Only the Night Elves were because their tree was blessed by the Aspects.

Presumably because of the nightwell? Their immortality is demonstrated by the fact that they’ve been alive for over 10,000 years.

3 Likes

Elves naturally have long lifespans, similar to the Eredar. Once again, only the Night Elves were said to been “immortal” and that’s because of Nordrassil.

Yeah but I doubt night elves are us naturally 10k cause Anastarian sunstrider last king of the high elves, was over 3,000 when he was considered to be waning physically.

3 Likes

Without immortality powers, Night Elves will typically start dying around 2000-3000 years old.

Also this is not true, the High Elves/Blood Elves are said to have something akin to immortality in the thousand years of war story.

3 Likes

All kaldorei were immortal pre-Sundering because of their connection to the Well of Eternity. After it was destroyed, the night elves regained their immortality via Nozdormu’s Blessing on Nordrassil, and the nightborne presumably regained theirs via consumption of the Nightwell’s energy. Blood Elves are virtually immortal since we saw a Blood Elf rogue who was in his physical prime during the War of Thorns who was born when the Highborne were still living in Tirisfal during the first years of their exile. We can hypothesize it’s due to the Sunwell, but we don’t know for sure.

As for OP’s question: I dunno. Logically, I’d say they lost it when they decided to let the Nightwell die and stop drinking its energy. But that was never brought up or discussed once, so…who knows. There’s also the weirdness of the Moonguard who lived outside Suramar’s bubble and somehow stayed alive for 10,000 years just hanging out in their base. Maybe they were covered by Nordrassil?

7 Likes

Some have. But there are also children as well, and if they’ve been both immortal and child bearing they would have long ago crowded themselves out of the bubble.

Unless Elves have extremely low birthrates.

1 Like

We don’t know that. There is no mention of immortality for the general population prior to the pact made by the Aspects through Nordrassil.

I would assume that Azshara was immortal by her extreme power and her connection to the Well, and possibly the upper echelons of the Highborne. The Naga and Satyr became immortal because of their mutations, and presumably still are. (one of the perks of going Evil ) :slight_smile:

Their natural lifespan however would be several times that of a Human. That aging was suspended when Nordrassil was grown and it ended when the tree was detonated by Malfurion to kill Archimonde.

It’s in both the Warcraft 3 game manual and Chronicle Vol 1:

“Over time, the Well’s cosmic power affected the strange tribe, making them strong, wise and virtually immortal.”

Considering Tyrande was considered young during the War of the Ancients, when she was at the tender age of 3,836 years old, I’d say it’s a bit of an understatement to say that night elves’ “natural lifespan however would be several times that of a Human”.

1 Like

Tbh I’m sick of the ‘Age of Mortals’ crap that Blizzard’s forcing down our throats with a toilet brush.

Back in the day when I played WoW, I loved that I was in a world where I can walk along side immortal beings & considered an equal or valued partner, be revered by immortal & immensely wise dragons whilst slaying their powerful kin who’ve gone astray to evil, along with witnessing colossal timeless beings that walk the planet & cosmos of both noble and chaotic qualities, teaming together to either assist or befall various plans of beings of such.

If I wanted to play ‘The Age of Mortals’ I’d go play Sims, or Animal Crossing.

5 Likes

Many of those beings are still around. They’ve just been cut down to your level.

That’s the point I’m making though. I liked when they were beyond my level / uncut & divine. You could feel that you had risen to their level, against all odds. Them being cut down ruins the magic of the world I loved playing back in the day, and the feeling of that ascension.

The reason of ascension is an aspect of why I loved Legion. These big mighty demons boasting of their glory & power being overwhelmed by the will of your legend.

2 Likes

I think arcane magic can be used to stay young and live far past your prime like Medivh’s mom. We can imagine that the Moonguard kept their youth or vitality if you will by using the nexus points of arcane. I am just guessing though, they could just be grandchildren of the original inhabitants and that wouldn’t be surprising either. Though I believe some knew the Suramar Nightborne who came towards their settlement and they thought they were family. Some even knew them by name. So they have to have some amongst their ranks who were over 10,000 years old.