Are half elves addicted to the Sunwell?

In The Well of Eternity. I don’t have the page number on the pdf.

She adjusted her position on the wooden bed. The slim but curved elven ranger now lay several months pregnant. Gone were her breastplate and leather armor. Now she wore a silver gown that did not at all conceal the imminent birth.
They should have guessed from the quickness with which she had shown, but Rhonin had wanted to deny it. They had been wed only a few months when she had discovered her condition. Both were concerned then, for not only had their marriage been one so very rare in the annals of history, but no one had ever recorded a successful human-elven birth.
And now they expected not one child, but two.
“I don’t think you understand, Vereesa. Twins! Twins from a mage and an elf!”
But her face continued to radiate pleasure and wonder. “Elves seldom give birth and we very, very rarely give birth to twins, my love! They will be destined for great things!”

You could read ‘seldom give birth’ as a choice. But in the context of ‘very, very rarely give birth to twins’, it reads as an aspect of them to me.

1 Like

I believe it was also said the Windrunner sisters lost many relatives in the second war. If I recall it was their parents, brother, aunts and uncles with cousins. So I they have to have good fertility, unless the Windrunner are a special case.

Thanks for the source!

I’d say the proof is in the pudding. The Windrunners had a pretty big family, after all. Seems like having children was spread out over time. I mean, Alleria fought in the Troll Wars 3,000 years in the past. Vereesa is described as so young in the Second War that she’s told to stay with the family rather than fight with the rangers.

So, Lireesa had children over 3,000 years, and I can’t imagine she and her husband were trying every day to have more.

1 Like

Also Lirath is referred to as the youngest brother, which can imply they have multiple male siblings.
Isn’t their grandfather still alive?

If he is, where the heck is he?

I think he’s the only brother. Or at least the only known one…

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Lirath_Windrunner

Well there’s no way for the proof to be in the pudding here because we’re talking about the source. The Windrunners could have either been choosing to have more kids or they could have been luckily fertile (as is at least the case one their twins). Saying ‘they had a big family’ doesn’t really discern why.

Though on this note, I don’t think ten named characters and whoever knows how many unnamed ones over three or four thousand years to be particularly large.

We have no real idea the amount of times she and her husband had relations. Over three thousand years, that’s a lot of opportunity. Even two hundred years is a significant amount of more chances than a normal human probably has.

I just read youngest brother of the siblings. But I don’t know the context you’re invoking.

Hmm maybe the other male siblings no longer exist, bummer. As for the grandfather it’s unknown where he is, but he survived battling his undead son and scrouge.

It was in Warcraft 2 I believe. But then again a lot has been retconned.

Although it’s reasonable to believe there’s a decent population of half-elves given how long humans and high elves have been interacting, I really doubt they’ll ever be numerous enough to have a nation of their own.

I’d wager that if any organization has a notable population of half-elves it’s probably the Silver Covenant and Sunreavers, since Dalaran is where humand and high elves coexisted the most.

1 Like

Depends really. I wouldn’t be surprised if, after 3,000 years, the bulk of Dalaran’s native humans have some measure of elf in them. Maybe not enough to be properly considered, ‘Half-Elves,’ but honestly, if Blizzard were going to make a second human race that looked different from standard humans, that would’ve made more sense than, “Humans, but fat,” like we got with Kul Tirans. Granted Kul Tiran’s could’ve been part Drust or Vykrul or something to shake it up too.

I could see it with the Silver Covenant, though I’m less certain about the Sunreavers. The Silver Covenant existed at first to oppose the inclusion of Blood Elves into Dalaran and the ranks of the Kirin Tor, and Half-Elves would’ve had immense reason to support that movement after Vereesa’s twins were kidnapped by a Blood Elf (her cousin) with the express purpose of draining them of magic because said cousin imagined Half-Elves would’ve been an ideal source of magic.

On a similar note, what little lore exists about Half-Elves (mostly RPG lore), stated that while Humans were more accepting of them, High Elves (notably in this case the Quel’Thalas ones) detested them as abominations and for diluting their noble bloodline with a, ‘lesser race.’

I’ve always thought that the Windrunners had an element of Night Elf throwback to them, especially the original models of Sylvannas. Most of the High Elves held the forest dwelling Rangers in disdain… and they haven’t changed that attitude as blood elves.

Isn’t that just the blood knights? They have a little rivalry between the two groups. Because from what I remember being chosen as Ranger was viewed as a high honor. That’s why Nathanos being one was viewed with disdain by the helves

I’m not sure about the culture overall, but the basic city guards also make disdainful remarks if you ask for the Hunter Trainer or Stable Master (as well as remarks about how gross you are for wanting to dig around in the dirt, if you ask for the Mining Trainer).

1 Like

As much as i’d like to see a Half-Elf Nation i’d settle even for some small village or settlement that they call their home. Even if it was some town within Stormwind’s realm.

As for some form of representation however, i think Dalaran is the best way to represent Half and High Elves as a Kingdom. They have the Council of Six and part of me wishes they would have at least one or 2 Elves on the council. Or better yet even as the Head of the Council if Khadgar goes off to do Guardian things. At the very least though i think that could be a good way to represent a Half Elf character from Dalaran, being on the Council of Six as an archmage.

Hopefully something like this could still happen at some point. I think Half Elf options would be cool to have both through Humans and now with Void Elves getting High Elf aesthetics. By that i mean allow both races to have Half Elf options and you could choose to be a more “human” looking Half Elf or a more Elven looking Half Elf.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the people of Silvermoon loosing faith in the Farstriders was a thing, perceiving them as failing to defend Quel’thalas from the Scourge, and looking to Blood Knights as the future.

The Silvermoon City Guardians express rather disdainful attitude towards the Farstriders;
“Oh. You’re seeking one of… them. Well, if you truly want to waste your time speaking with those backwards individuals, you’ll find the rangers in Farstriders’ Square”

2 Likes

I know blood elves are getting half elf options, I don’t see why void elves won’t. Chances of night elves and Nightborne getting is really slim

1 Like

I could see Void Elves getting the ear options too. At least i would hope so anyway. They’re already getting High Elf aesthetics. The ear options would be a silly thing to cut it off at.

Speaking of Night Elves though, some of their new options are sort of remind me of a Thalassian look. They got that Ginger colored hair and some very pale/peachy skin tones. Like they almost look how i’d imagine a Night Elf “evolving” into a High Elf would look.

1 Like

I don’t think those are intended to be half elf options, just shorter ears. Though obviously you can role-play as you like.

That said, Blizzard makes a lot of weird choices to not extend options. Wouldn’t surprise me if they randomly didn’t give it to Void Elves.

3 Likes

I do agree with you. But the Sunreavers have been living in Dalaran forever they even help found it and taught it’s mages magic. Wouldn’t be too shocking for them to have half elf kids.

Dath’Remar Sunstrider had red hair even as a night elf, so it’s not a new development even if he was the only example before.

I agree it’d be really weird to not give velves the shorter ears, but I can also totally see Blizzard arbitrarily deciding not to.

2 Likes