Are crafting professions worth it now?

Basically the title. Do you guys think it’s worth it to have crafting professions on a new toon? Seems like pretty much anything you want could be made by somebody else or you’ll find a better version in ZG or AQ20. What say you WoW community.

On a low level? No. Wait until you reach max. It will depend on what you are planning to do as content in shadowlands.

Crafting professions can be good, if you have the harder to find patterns/enchants and hustle trade chat all day long. Otherwise, transmutes are where you can make free gold. Alchemy across 10 characters on your account (only need level 35 alts) can net you 100g every two days, and all you have to do is log on.

Outside of that, the most profitable profession, hands down, is herbalism. Skinning is also making a killing right now, at least on my realm.

At this point, many other people have those same patterns.

This is very good advice. Thank you

I was talking specifically about crafting professions. Even so, I keep hearing how it’s so hard to find high level herbs on most serves now.

I sure this is people leveling the profession to take into TBC.

1 Like

Probably not. The effort required to get the rare patterns at this stage isn’t worth it given the time left. I don’t know what you are considering “crafting” but the only exception would be alchemy. Herb/Alch is definitely still a solid choice.

1 Like

I was defining crafting as Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, Alchemy. I’m not counting enchanting cause you don’t “craft” anything, and I’m not counting engineering cause you mostly just make stuff for yourself. I’m thinking of professions that will either make you money or will make items that are worth the time and effort to get them this late in the game.

Edit: crafting would also include tailoring

gathering professions are more profitable for most people.

you can make a bit of money with alchemy but the margins aren’t very high if you expect to buy your herbs. its not really worth the extra effort, unless you really hate gathering herbs from dme, or the open world.

This is basically what I’m thinking. The only crafting profession I can think of that might be worth it is Alchemy. But with bots and other players constantly sweeping up all the high level herbs the margins on that might be too small to really make it worth the trouble.

I agree with what others are saying, alchemy is the best crafting one. Especially if you can combine it with herbalism. If you do fishing and alchemy that is not bad too.

Both leatherworking (cured rugged hide) and tailoring (mooncloth) are ok though if you want passive cooldown income (on alts etc).

I would only take a crafting profession at this point if I were making a pure soloing alt just to experience world quests that I had not yet done.

They really weren’t even worth it in the beginning since almost everyone just rocketed straight to mc/ony, which both drop comparable or better gear than what crafting can make, with a few noteworthy exceptions.

This is basically what I’m thinking. It’s doubly true since I plan on rerolling for TBC, so it’s not even like I’d be leveling it for TBC.

Overall, yes. Gold wise, no.

They are fun to do for or reasons or to make your own armor. That part is fun.

But it’s not needed. Only rare recipes these days are rep guarded once since most people don’t want to rep grind to get them.

Why? What’s do you gain?

There are advantages and disadvantages to having crafting professions. But it also sounds like you’ve rationalized a decision not to have them, based on your initial post’s language.

You don’t need forum approval. I tend to love crafting stuff, so I always take them. Your mileage may vary.

It’s fun to wear armor with your name, that’s true. But it just doesn’t seem like they’re worth the time and effort this late in the game. How many crafted pieces are even worth wearing for Leatherworkers or Blacksmiths? Not many. And, to get the gear at a level close to your level, requires mats that you probably won’t really come across until you’re at a much higher level. Like, level 26 armor might require a 8 iron bars, but you don’t come across significant amounts of iron until you’re into the 30s

2 Likes

Depends on the profession and your realm, but overall not really. I’m an alch, I have most recipes, the herbs themselves generally cost more than the pots sell for. Herbalism was my other proff for a long time, but it’s no longer worth it as every valuable herb node is camped endlessly 24 hours a day.

Blizz really screwed things over by raising pop caps but leaving herb spawns tuned to the 2004 pop cap. It’s a change in itself because it more than halves the amount of available herbs that players had access to during Vanilla.

If you choose to reroll, make sure you research your new class/spec as some have mandatory crafting professions for the start of TBC, like Tailoring for Mages/Locks/Spriests etc.

The toon I’m rolling isn’t even what I plan on playing in TBC. So that’s why I was wondering if it was worth it. I’m probably going to dual gather and set aside mats for my TBC toon.

Alch and Engi are never, ever bad.

If you’re a less dedicated player you can take LW, partly because of the saltshaker netting you 20g+ every 3 days and partly because it’s easy to take up Skinning and earn some money while leveling (as well as make your own armor kits!).

BS is a hard no, it’s fluff and flavor and expensive endgame recipes and that’s about it.

1 Like

engi is very good, i think almost mandatory if you plan on not be a casual

alch can, at least, save you a lot of gold if you make your own consumes. even if you buy the herbs

as an example, 1 mongoose costs 11g on my server…with that amount you can buy 1 stack of dreamfoil and 1 stack of mountain silversage and craft 10 mongoose