Are brewmasters tanky?

Title basically. Been playing a lot of prot pally in m+. It’s a lot of fun, good dps, but sometimes I get chunked relatively hard. How is brew? Kinda want something that can face tank a bit. Not terribly interested in guardian, though.

Brew can take hits easy provided you have an active healer. With a healer you are super tanky. Great in groups.

However, on your own you are the least tanky spec as you delay damage instead of blocking it. In world content it kind of sucks because of this.

Ah yes. I used to play one awhile back and always kinda disliked feeling there was always a DoT on me…

With good gear, yes. Bis trinkets + necrolord you can pull whole rooms, but very gear dependent. When you first hit 60 and start gearing you will feel incredibly weak unless you get lucky.

Chi wave + expel can keep you healed indefinitely. Can solo borgeth, consumption, yorick etc.

1 Like

If we had a fatter health pool that would help with the “dot” effect of stagger. Honestly if we had a good leggo like druids thrash, it increases dmg and tankiness, i wouldn’t tank with any other class. It’s a lot of fun.

For example though, i have a necro shield ~40k, blood shield 20-50k, celestial shield which is from like 30-60k or more probably. Those help. But when those are off cd, i feel a little squishy.

Are you saying Monk or Druid here? I’m thinking Monk since Druid is known to be a tad…. Dry.

The answer is gear, sadly. More ilvl means more agi+ hp and hopefully more vers.

The thing about monks is that by design, we scale non-linear. Every point of hp we have is doubled by stagger, and when you’re converting more damage to stagger and clearing it, you can take bigger hits, etc.

So, by the end of BFA, I could solo LFR Prophet, whatsisname, that bug guy.

2 Likes

Monk. Tons of fun

I like it a lot. I can easily take hits that chunk our paladin tank. They do get tanky, but as the others pointed out, they don’t feel great when you’re leveling or first cap, but once you get some gear, it becomes quite nice. But you’ll definitely need to get used to using your mitigation skills for some of the bigger hits

Yes we are very tanky. You really have to understand the stagger mechanics for monks. Alot of brewsmonk dont know that PFB the most high stagger you have. Dont just PFB because it tells you to. You can soak up to 80k and the also counts as heals with your conduits. Also have FTB on CD since its a 6min CD when you KS and TP in your rotation the CD will actually be 3mins. We have to do alot of kitting during certain m+. But if your raiding just go full DPS tank. If i miss something please dont mind to correct me. I to is still learning alot more of my monk. I hav two sets for m+ and raid. 23% vers for M+ and High Ilvl for raids.

Appreciate the replies! I’ve been told they also do good DPS… true?

A well played Brewmaster can certainly do a ton of damage in keys, especially those with lots of AoE. The Ox stomp alone will pump if you’re purifying a lot of damage.

With a good amount of crit and the right trinkets/weapons, you can certainly end a non-NW key anywhere between 7 and 8.5k dps.

Yes, but it’s a little bit of a sacrifice either way. Kyrian with two offensive trinkets is going to do way more damage than necrolord with scale and anhylde shield but it’s a matter of your style and comfort. Do you wanna be a defensive monster and safely do big monster pulls, or be more offensive but have less backup defensive. (I try to strike a balance and switch up based on affixes, I go more defensive on greivous etc)

I tank rarely but I am geared for it. There have been times where I was able to keep going long after people had died, including my healer. The menagerie fight for example, everyone had died and I was the last one up again the Goblin. I was able to stay up for the last 300k of damage against her, and get the killing blow. I am 244 ilvl, with two tanking trinkets at 226+, If I can do it, I am sure that a seasoned BM can rock this spec.

1 Like

Solo’d the last phase of +16 tyrannical muzallah, that was hella fun. (Healer died to statue phase aoe, then everyone else dropped pretty soon after)

Don’t even need Chi Wave. My Brew at 221 iLvl can easily solo those bosses. It’s not fast but easily doable.

Yes I am tanky af.

Everyone is tanky in 15s lol

I’m learning tanking on warrior and monk and feel SUPER squishy compared to my warrior, but I’m not at all geared, like 208. That being said I never feel in danger of being 1 shot, just nervous if I have tons of stagger and 1 or 0 brews. Kinda feel like it’s in the healers hands when I let it get to that point.

1 Like