Archaeology in BFA

Currently Archaeology in bfa is poorly design, Is a step backwards from legion as there's few rewards, what's worst is that now it takes forever to reach 150 as you no longer get a guarantee point when completing or solving a fragment.

When looting a fragment in legion there's a small chance of activating an event that rewards you even more fragments.

BFA has non of that, and once you collect the two only pets, there's no reason to keep doing archaeology.

BFA's archaeology needs to increase the rate at which you gain a level point when looting a fragment and/or reintroduce the guarantee level point when solving a fragment to improve leveling and maybe some weekly or bi-weekly dailies because as it stands right now .. its boring....

thoughts?
4 Likes
Ya, 2 pets and 2 worthless trinkets I was thoroughly disappointed with archeology this xpac. Was hoping for atleast one mount or something(even if it was like the mount quest fromm Legion that only popped up twice a year). I guess that could still be coming but given how little there is right now for archeology i'm leaning more towards this is all it will be.

Like you said atleast in legion you had that anticipation that you could get one of the bonus things pop up that had more fragments/idols. And the bi-weekly quests atleast gave some decent gold etc.
2 Likes
So disappointing! I loved that there were Archeology dailies in Legion, it gave more impetus to do Archeology out in the world. The random quest starting drops make it a bit less interesting, and the rewards are disappointing. I have a feeling they may build on BFA Arch in future patches...at least I hope they do.
1 Like

Old thread, but I’m curious if the patches we’ve had since launch have added anything? Gold digsites like Legion, random AP popups/monster encounters, quests?

I have not heard of any changes to archeology since BfA launched, but I don’t actively use the profession.

I know archeology was never crazy exciting but getting old god toys, bone raptors, transmog was always fun

BFA archeology is the worst I have seen it

1 Like

I’ve been doing bfa archaeology on my main and the only thing I’ve noticed is that some of the early bugs with found fragments being underground and unreachable have been fixed. I haven’t seen any in the past month and I saw enough early in BfA to make me stop doing arch for a long while.

Personally I didn’t like what Legion did to Archaeology; being locked into a single race and zone for a 3-4 week quest cycle just sucked. Although it did make it way, way easier to “power level” your archaeology skill: if you have legion flying, all your arch sites will be in 1 zone making it incredibly time efficient to do. And the sites were generally very small. Overall it’s probably your most efficient way to grind crated artifact currency to buy fragments for Tol 'vir and other difficult to farm races.

It does seem like Blizz put almost no effort into the profession for BFA. They did make maxing your arch skill out more difficult but I don’t think Arch skill counts for anything anyways. The BFA rewards are very few but the quality ones are on par with Legion (BFA: 2 toys and 2 pets, Legion: 1 pet, 1 toy, 1 mount, and 1 heirloom). Unlike Legion you can farm what you want when you want.

While the # of finds each site has has gone up in BfA. It feels like the # of finds required to do a solve has remained about the same compared to Legion.

I think what they did with Pristine Solves for KT Archaeology kind of bizarre. You put your artifact into a dingy basement where no one will see? Quite the change from prominently displayed in Dalaran’s small museum shop.

1 Like

Archy in BFA is an appalling waste of time. And deliberately designed it seems to be so - Blizz can think of no other way to keep players logged in. So they just make it as inefficient/time-consuming as possible to level up archaeology.

Half an hour of archy sites with my arch at 930 and I got one skill up point. ONE.

Utterly ridiculous game design. I won’t be buying the next expac.

1 Like

Well its supposed to be a time sink. Granted Blizz put way more effort into it in earlier zones.

30 minutes and 1 point. Given my average at the end of maxing bfa was 1 point per dig site (and I think a bfa dig site had 8 or 9 finds in it) that could be about right.

Between gathermate2 and a player-updated version of the Archaelogy Helper addon (original author seems to have abandoned the project and I and others have been maintaining our own versions), I can usually turn over a bfa dig site around 10 minutes or less, and that’s with warmode on and dealing with the occassional wpvp.

That’s kind of what I liked about Legion archaeology. Like right now, I’m all done with Pristine HM Tauren artifacts, which means I can completely skip over HM weeks to concentrate on other expansions. The cycle actually takes a lot of frustration out of archaeology: instead of going to dig sites of races I don’t need to do, I can just opt out and work on the rest of the world. Or if I really need to work on a race (like Demonic right now), I can plan around hunkering down and setting aside time for archaeology.

With BFA, it’s a bit different because I can choose what to work on. Because I’m trying to chip away at my collection of pristine artifacts, skill level is completely irrelevant to me: it doesn’t matter if my archaeology skill level is 1 or 950, the amount of fragments and keystones I pick up never change.

whats a good addon for arch because Im looking for one for bfa or legion or any of the old content arch digsites

Archaeology Helper. I use it in conjunction with GatherMate2 to help me keep track of my dig sites.

1 Like

So I need Tol’vir Relics to make the Blue Mount, but I can’t get them to spawn in Tol’vir zones on Kalimdor? Am I doing something wrong?

Ya, you need to talk to zidormi, change the zone back to cataclysm.

1 Like

if you’re farming the Tol’vir - i highly recommend trying the MoP way, get crates and change into Tol’vir fragments.
it does require some rep - but imo - it’s fastest.
(took me over 200 solves to get that mount… ugh)

3 Likes