Arcane/frost mage or mm/survival hunter

I am trying to decide which alt should I level and I am debating myself between Arcane/frost mage or mm/survival hunter. I have tried both and both are fun. I am not interesed in Fire or BM.

So between those 2 which class do you recommend me?

1. Which class has more engaging and fun rotation?
  2. Better utility?
  3. Better in pvp?
  4. Better in pve?

Hard to say with 9.1 right around the corner.

Fun is subjective but I think both mages and hunters are interesting rotations.

Utility is pretty close between the two but mages have a good amount more of survivability

Overall I would say arcane/frost is better in PVP than MM/survival but not by a done

In PVE arcane/frost is better than MM and survival is just so low tier everything is better. For M+ frost is good and so is MM.

All my own opinion of course.

1 Like

I personally enjoy Venthyr or a similarly less than optimal Careful Aim + LnL dungeon build more than just about any other ranged, but Arcane’s pretty solid, too, and Survival can be damn fun at times, despite its sometimes less than stellar playflow.

Frost has always felt a bit too “wait for RNG to grant its favor; expend favors” for me. /shrug

:: Whoops, most have hit End or Page Down on the New Topics page to end up here…

The biggest difference between specs is how well Hunters do solo content compared to Mage. If you want to collect mounts, farm reputation, or farm transmog from recent expansions by yourself during downtime (Like right now) then Hunter is BY FAR the better class.

Mage Requires a group for a lot of content including completing quest that involve killing races while leveling. Yes you can do it if determined and willing to die a few times (actually fun for some), but a hunter will plow through them without an issue.

I find both fun to play and honestly Mage always has a OP spec without fail. But you do give up Quality of Life for that OP group play.

If you want fun survival, contrary to what you’d get from the forums, is a complete joy. Its fun and you do better dmg that given credit for.

So last expansion I played BM and I just leveled to 60 as Survival. I think it’s pretty fun. You have a lot of options for how you want to play, and it’s good for soloing if you feel like you want to. We aren’t the best DPS currently. If you don’t care about Mythic raiding at the highest level I’d say give Survival a shot. Besides, its easy to top charts when 50% of the player base isn’t pulling the numbers they should on most lower to mid tier content anyway.

PvP for leveling arcane mage best , MM hunter for coordinated group SV for random group.

At max lvl arcane and frost are both good, SV is much better in pvp at high levels. MM is ok

PVE dungeons MM and frost are much better then Arcane or SV , but all 4 specs perform very well in dungeons and M+

I can only speak from a Hunter’s view. My Mage, is waaaaay low. Started way back in…hmm.
Anyway, MM is your true range spec, can go with or without a pet. I have not run with MM for a bit now, but I see and play with some.

SV. Well its a lot of fun (IMO) It has a decent build that can be setup for PvP or PvE… Contrary to the forums, you can do well in both M+ and in raids as well as in PvP. The Lego, (Wildfire) helps your AOE quite a bit.

Just remember, you will carry a heavy opinionated view of what you are as SV. If you can deal with that, your fine.

Mage is much more fun, has better animation, better in pvp, tankier, better in pve, more value in groups.

Only in mobility and farming hunter wins, everything else mage does.

Mage is destroying Hunter right now on the meters.