AOE tanking as a warrior is hard

The following is specifically for large packs in 5mans. Not “the only way”, but this stuff works well for me

• never ever tclap (less rage=less aggro), unless you’re literally gonna die without it. Blood furnace H caged guys u will def need it.

• demo shout only if really needed for inital aggro. if there’s like 6+ mobs u often need to demo just to keep the pull clean. No demo shout = more rage coming in = more aggro

• spec imp cleave, literally spam cleave. U can mouseover macro it or just spam tab. Put this on an easy button, i use Q. Included my macro at the end

• zerk rage → charge → whirlwind on pull, followed by D.stance cleaves

• i almost never use devastate unless u have 3 non-cleaving melee or hunters, and u are just burning targets 1 at a time. otherwise waste of rage when u could just cleave every gcd

• Latro’s is gonna be ur best threat wep for these situations. until t6 weps.

• shield slam: on large packs, i only start using it once the pull is rolling and ton of rage is coming in. Exception is for a bit of threat on a mob you weren’t cleaving in the first few gcd’s, maybe a ranged mob

• stacking nameplates is a must, not overlapping. for mouseover interrupts

• block value =shield slam threat, this includes the prot talent for 30% block value.

• Tac mastery is a must so u can intercept → taunt and also mocking blow whenever. Whirlwind in zerker too (risky on some heroics if not geared.)

• revenge stun is kinda overrated imo, not reliable enough, i do take it tho . The imp shield bash is great for rounding up caster mobs.

• Pick fat dps who can basically delete a mob during a taunt or conc blow.

• Get piercing howl (u already have imp cleave) If a mob is “chasing” a ranged, but slowed, it’s nbd. long as they kill it quick

• target marker hotkeys are essential, as others have said. if u have rgb keyboard u can colour the keys so u know what is skull X etc

• Always get an enhance or some sort of shaman and request Wf totem, massive aggro boost. or a pala and ask him for salv on everyone. If you have druid, request thorns

• priest healer is ur worst option, the shield gives u 0 rage. sham is ur best friend since the earth shield buffs your aggro a lot, even on ranged mobs casting/shooting you

• Always b.shout even if you’re the only melee. More aggro. Commanding basically means “i expect to lose aggro so good luck”. It’s almost never needed, except unavoidable 5-person damage situations like SL on the Inciter, or the mana tombs H first boss.

• Dual freezing band really helps on the large packs like sethekk hall birds, combined with piercing howl nothing will reach your dps

• battlemaster enchant on ur 5man trash wep (even if you play perfect, dps are life tapping, getting cleaved, standing in poison lol) U will get laughed at by nubs cuz “the guide says mongoose”

• sporeggar shield (kind of a joke till u have good block %)

• basically gear on the extreme edge of dying lol for max threat. within reason of course. also for your “5man hero” gear set you dont need full stam gems, u can gem for threat

and with all that said, a geared paladin can literally like body pull, LOS on a corner, and hit 3 keys and out threat you while eating chips

And i have to disagree with the BOMBS idea, (yes they work well) unless ur a gold buyer or something. ur running 5mans to make ur character stronger, not waste gold every pull so some guildless mage can hit aoe 1 second sooner.

Here is the macro i have made for cleave and i pretty much hammer it all the time in 5 man trash lol. If u are in zerk, it throws a whirlwind too. Doubles as a dps spec macro, if u are talented for sweeping, start spamming it around 80+ rage at end of your swing timer, and keep spamming until sweeping ends. If ur in prot spec+dstance it just cleaves as normal. it pops your top trinket with “13” so take that out if you don’t want it, or change to 14 for bottom trinket

#showtooltip sweeping strikes
/use 13
/cast sweeping strikes
/cast bloodrage
/cast [form:3]whirlwind
/cast !cleave
/startattack

Most dps are obsessed with big numbers and as long as the meter shows one they will use aoe to get it. Whenever I’m grouped with a warrior I focus on a single target rotation because I know their single target threat is better than the aoe threat of a paladin.

Its not really you OP its just bad dps being bad.

2 Likes

Lol same man, Same.

I leveled a Prot Paladin at the same time as this character and it’s just night and day how much easier it is to tank on my Paladin. I love the Druid, but man if I wish there was just a little more AoE potential.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.