AoE cap is anti-fun for no reason

hilarious when people think disagreeing is inflammatory.

MMORPG’s are about spending time to build acquirred power through gear and xp in to play your role either solo or in a group. If you think MMORPGs are bad for that, you are probably in the wrong genre.

No. I think MMOs are great for that. But that isn’t what I said. Take your strawman back out to the field.

Disagreeing isn’t being inflammatory. Degrading what someone enjoys is.

Either way, I’ve read enough of your drivel.

OH. THE IRONY.

This happened in City of Heroes too.

The devs didn’t understand why players liked pulling large groups of mobs. Well it is a super hero game and it made you feel super.

With WoW…you build up all this gear and levels to feel…super in a medieval fantasy game.

Yeppers they have fallen into a trap many other devs have fallen before them.

Gaming is about fun first and balance second!

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

1 Like

Ok explain objectively how fighting 1 single mob with 1 set of mechanics is in fact MORE engaging than fighting 10 mobs with separate mechanics? Go ahead. Defend that position.

I never said it was. in the first place. So no, I’m not going to defend your own strawman.

secondly; even if I did. “What someone enjoys”…your words. But now you want OBJECTIVE EVIDENCE on a SUBJECTIVE OPINION.

You’re entirely unreal.

If you’re looking to do big tactical pulls, you will still be able to do that. It might be even be more challenging than before, which I guess is good, if you’re looking for that.

It might not be the best strategy quite as much, but I’m pretty confident that the dungeons will still be challenging at high levels.

If it’s just about ripping through easy content and feeling powerful, that will also still be possible. Maybe toned down a bit, but still possible.

The target here is more what a typical group does in a dungeon that is roughly appropriate to their power/gear level. Basically doing very large pulls won’t be as efficient or necessary, and therefore they probably won’t be as common.

If it’s too much, or the change doesn’t work out, it will be adjusted. That’s already happened more than once, this type of thing is not set in stone.

Then there is ZERO irony in that discussion. I said engaging. Not what you enjoy. So take your “gotcha” outta here.

The reason is that if you’re playing the game for fun, you’re playing it for the wrong reason. The only reason to play the game is to prove you are a person who takes arbitrary orders from strangers better than anyone else.

1 Like

Yes. there is.

Because YOU built the strawman about what “I enjoy” and then you tried to say that I’M being inflammatory for

I’ll be honest it’s most likely for balance sake. If there wasn’t a cap a group of mages could wipe out sets after sets of mobs in short bursts.

1 Like

I don’t think that is OP.

Having that many mages together is a hard feat. It is like herding cats.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

I hated the aoe cap felt like a giant nerf to most classes

Um… No I didn’t. I built a premise based on your first post in this thread:

And in no way did I refer to what you enjoy. Ever. So try again? You’re the one on the other hand telling someone things like this:

As I said… You’re just being inflammatory.

No. You built a strawman. I never said “1 mob”. anywhere. Nowhere. You’re arguing something I never said. that, by definition. is a strawman.

get outta here with those lies.

It’s called context and critical thinking. When talking about a video game. engagement is the same as enjoyment. It’s not fun if it’s not engaging.

Get OUTTA HERE with those lies.

A lot of casters still have uncapped AoE. Really this is just antimelee.

1 Like

This!

This is the reason!

So yeah, the feedback was heard, Blizzard agreed that massive AoE pulls was becoming a dominant play style that folks didn’t like, so Blizzard reacted accordingly and changed things so that said playstyle would not be so dominant.

I think that also worked well because TBC didn’t have the kinds of power creep we now have where, with 4 levels of raid ilevel gear (with 45 ilevel between them) and about 7 levels of dungeon tier ilevel rewards (with 65 ilevel between them). Having that static power meant that there was very little change in stratagem as the game progressed.

Now, if folks are running their weekly 15 with 475+ ilevel gear, very little encounters will be difficult for them.

Basically, I agree with your thought, but I think the AoE cap is a fix to a symptom of greater design: the developers created the game in such a way that rewarded the kind of gameplay they don’t like

2 Likes