AoE cap is anti-fun for no reason

For farming old content mats? Crazy idea, I know!

https://www.wordreference.com/definition/funnier

Yeah, the reason is to eliminate power leveling opportunities like Freehold.

Sounds like a good way to reduce inflation to me. Ore and herbs are artificially restricted by node spawns already. Now you’re artificially restricted by aoe cap on skinning, etc.

Fair, I’m not going to argue about the theoreticals behind which one is in an ideal world the better way, I’m just pointing out that this is how the game is currently designed, this is how classes work, this is what happens when you have multiple difficulties (including infinitely scaling m+).

When most if not all classes went from vanilla level design where everyone is just doing single target damage with SOME AoE (like channeling blizzard) and small cleave, to most classes having the ability to interact with both 1 target and many targets with spells and talents

and the same for tanks & healers going from having effectively no good cooldowns that you can use more than a couple times per run, to everyone having consistent CDs between 45 to 120 seconds (and in some cases 180)

there’s just no reason not to play like this, especially when time is on the line (M+, which is what this change hurts the most). if they didn’t want people to play like this then imo they shouldn’t have homogenised the game so much to begin with, or kept the game in its boring state of single targeting down every mob individually or spamming 1 button that does mediocre AoE dmg with no cooldowns to enhance any of it in an impactful way.

i’m not very good at explaining things, so i apologise for that, but i hope you understand what i mean here.

in short, the game is simply designed for fast paced gameplay and playing around your many cooldowns now, and more classes have access to AoE, so there’s no reason not to play around big pulls with cds > small pulls > big pulls with cds > small pulls > boss > big pull with cds > and so on.

but if you wanna make the argument that the game SHOULD be designed that way, that’s fair.

giving you a button that would instakill every mob in the M+ would be faster. Why not that?

Point being that if AoE is capped, specs that are not AoE-favoured are relatively more viable. Groups with AoE-heavy specs won’t complete the M+ as fast as uncapped AoE or instakill-1hit-mob-i-win-button but so what?

And leave legacy content or low end content alone :v
That would solve both issues

2 Likes

Lets compaire a similar situation. Affliction and shadow in particular had problems with ramp up time. Enemies would often be dead by the time they got into the full swing of things. Instead of increasing the health of every enemy by 300% so that everyone is on the same playing field they redesigned the classes that were having problems.

In the same way they could have redesigned the classes that were struggling with large aoe pulls. The issue would have been solved without impacting other areas of the game.

1 Like

The entire point I made was a risk reward situation.

A button that would instakill every mob in the M+ would be a reward with zero risk. No one is asking for that.

Pulling all 4 packs before the first boss of KR is much faster than pulling them 1 at a time… But you also have to deal with 2 party wide insta-gib casts, numerous tornadoes, huge magical tank damage, and two large mobs that enrage. You have to deal with all of that at the exact same time incurring significant risk. Your reward? You clear the 4 packs faster.

Risk. Reward.

1 Like

I wish we still had mass pulls in old content. Having to keep targeting different groups of mobs that can barely damage you if they hit you isn’t hard but it IS time consuming.

1 Like

Exactly…

Legacy content I do agree… I think it should be a bit of ‘quick, fun mode’ and not treat it like current, slower paced fighting. I even wanted them to maybe make ‘legacy mode perks’ to get more speed, or what have you. But that’s just an idea.

Now you are just moving the goalpost.

This doesn’t make any sense at all.

The actual “thought” put into pulls has to do with FIGURING OUT the strain on the tank and healer so you can pull large. The smaller the pull, the less thought that goes into them. If your group is target capped at 5 - when was the last time you actually had to “think” about a 5 mob pull? At worst, you just CC the hard mob and pull the rest. That’s MIND NUMBING. We had that with Infested in S1. It was boring. It was slow.

All the AOE cap does is lower the skill ceiling in dungeons so “BIG THOUGHT SMALL PULL” Andy can get closer to doing the same pulls that he sees on stream without actually improving.

1 Like

Okay, no. YOU’RE the one moving the goalposts by adding more and more complaints. “it makes it take longer to do islands” - good, mindless AOE is boring AF. “but…but…MY OUTDATED CONTENT”, etc, etc, etc.

As much as I enjoy fighting for the little guy… This is sadly the truth.

The pulls do not get easier as they get larger. There is no such thing as mindless AoE anymore. The only way you get to that point is if your AoE is so stupidly absurdly high that you kill everything before they even get their casts off… But all that means… is that you’re overgeared for the keystone level. Since keys are infinitely scaling, you just increase it to the next level and try the pull again.

Eventually… you’ll be at the level when those mobs DO get those abilities off. And if you can’t handle all of those abilities being cast at the exact same time… Then you eat the dirt.

All you did was lower the skill ceiling. You didn’t raise the skill floor. Pulling a single pack and dealing with a single packs abilities is relatively trivial. It’s dealing with multiple packs abilities that was not trivial.

Nice try, I’ve never said anything about islands, and old content was something you brought up. Nice try though, but try harder next time, I know you can, I believe in you :wink:

Correct, which is the case in the MDI and I believe the MDI is often what people refer to when they regurgitate that point. They see a clip of 5 perfectly geared characters who have practiced those pulls for months in a relatively lower key level (compared to what those players can do on live) mow down a massive pull and it looks easy… but they don’t understand that’s nothing like what happens when you’re doing keys that are challenging to you on live… and they worked on those pulls for months. They didn’t just hop in and yolo it all down.

You didn’t. it’s one of the constant complaints about AOE cap.

No it wasn’t. You’re the one who mentioned “low lvl mobs” and then used the excuse about “farming old mats”.

your lying just proves you’re not actually smart enough to argue this.

We can outsmart the BlizZard bean counters.

But we can’t share our secrets here on the forums.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

Yup… It’s like watching a professional piano player demonstrate their considerable skill and concluding that playing the piano is clearly a mindless activity… All you have to do is slam the keys repeatedly…

2 Likes