Anyone safely using a VPN?

1-month WoW prisoners are intensely watching these types of threads in the hope some poor soul will drop the undisputable answer to copy/paste in their appeals… :smirk:

Picking our brains to intentionally help with their appeals… :shushing_face:

ive been using NordVPN for a few years now and not a single problem. i know Blizz has said they can tell the difference between a physical log in and a VPN log in, so in the very rare instance you are locked out, its a very easy fix.

i myself play with my VPN off, but have forgotten before and turned it off while i was in game, got disconnected as my internet connection reset, and then logged right back in and have never had an issue.

guildies of mine have ping issues sometimes, and they will log out, turn on thier vpn and log right back in, and never had an issue.

will your chances of falsely being flagged for something zero? no… but the chances are quite low that you will get in trouble for a VPN.

1 Like

I have been using nordvpn for three years. I opened a ticket when I first got it and they said there would be no issues with it. Never had a problem since.

I’d trust google not to try and attack accounts or commit identity theft, but in terms of privacy I can’t think of any worse actor in the whole internet space.

Sure. There’s reasons to seriously avoid any particular VPN. Who each person trusts is going to be unique to the needs of that particular customer.

If I’m a criminal and not having law enforcement be aware of it is an important factor in my VPN choice, then the data resale aspect of a sketchy company like Nord may not be a really be a drawback as long as I get the “company doesn’t exist in terms of responding to legal requirements.”

If I’m concerned that my history, even if not resold, may be attributable to me and used for targeted advertising, then Apple, Google, and Amazon are bad choices. All 3 do not sell user data to outside companies, but all 3 collect personalized data using their platform, categorize users into buckets and sell advertisers the ability to advertise to those buckets. Google may be most famous for this, but Apple is doing it all the same while hiding behind aggressive and misleading privacy campaigns (“you’re not our product”), and Amazon actually makes more on advertising than YouTube.

If I am a social dissident protesting for freedom in HongKong or St Petersburg, then a provider that doesn’t cooperate with kangaroo goverments is going to be more important then ad metrics or the legal status of the company itself.

The context of this conversation was OP being concerned about computer security, and that’s the direction the recommends were framed in.

Oh I’m sure LOL
I’m still able to get in. But the hammer came down and it made me think twice haha. Going off what people have said, I may just stick to my antivirus xD never had a problem, it’s just a thought in the back of my mind sometimes

1 Like

What do you need security for when just playing WoW?

with vpn’s…if company doctrine changes, they don’t work anymore. in EULA there is some words to cover them I am sure too lol.

Why even being overseas I don’t play with them much. I want to try FF. they hate non US IP’s for US servers.

JDM server I’d need to ask my wife like to CC it. I don’t ask mommy for allowance anymore lol. well that I want to see mostly us peeps. I can’t read kanji really. all sticks and twigs to me. HIragana and katakana are passable. Kanji just had me go yeah…no.

VPN may work but when companies burn tunnels…well you go pound sand really. So I personally never picked on this.

Not for just playing wow~ Just in general internet browsing. I doubt I’d remember to turn it off when I logged in to wow

Honestly I just see the ads for them constantly and it makes me think of it.