Anyone else tired of "epicness"?

I’ve been trying to roll some fresh alts, something i haven’t done in years, just to collect the Allied Races tmogs, and honestly just to do something mindless to relax while watching Netflix.

And i keep hitting a roadblock anytime i try to start a zone from WoD onwards because of the dreadfully over the top, long and annoying intro sequences for these expansions, who also pull you out of any kind of immersion anyway as it makes no sense to end up fighting a gigantic army as a lvl 10 flipping Vulpera.

Can i just go back to being a random adventurer collecting bear asses? Please?

Settled on replaying WoTLK on a Death Knight because simplier times were simplier.

48 Likes

Yeah I feel that. After a while the “epic” starts to lose its meaning and grows irritating, like a word you’ve said too many times or like playing the Stormwind music intro on loop for an hour.

Like you allude to, a lot of it is context. Flying around on an undead dragon blasting down armies of Scarlet Crusade makes sense when you’re starting a DK, because you’re part of the Scourge during the height of its power and the freaking Lich King is a stone’s throw away from you. As a level 10 nobody? Yeah, makes a lot less sense.

15 Likes

Nah, I like that I built up a reputation over the years.

5 Likes

There has to be. Taking WoD as an example, how do you go from defeating Garrosh using an old god heart to collecting bear asses. The playerbase already is fed up of being the unnamed fodders when we’ve killed litteral gods.

4 Likes

Yeah, its mainly that. There’s a point where anything stops having meaning if it becomes the norm. And “epicness” as a norm is just exhausting.

On my established characters? Sure. On a lvl 10 alt i’ve been playing for 5 minutes? How does that makes sense.

4 Likes

That’s where Chromie time could help. Pick one of the earlier expacs to level in.

4 Likes

My little alts don’t have reputations yet. :wink:

And to me, sure, my main built up a reputation, but being the SUPREME SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE OF ALL THE UNIVERSE AND ALL REALITIES is a bit over the top. lol

14 Likes

If an expansion offered Vanilla EK+Kalimdor as a Chromie Time leveling option and enabled getting to cap via any Chromie Time option of your choice, it’d be an instant buy from me. Newer questing loses its luster way faster than the older stuff does.

3 Likes

Indeed. Level in the time that’s quicker to start in. BC, Wrath, Mists. Just don’t pick cataclysm if you’ve had enough of Vanilla dungeons. And the queues are so long compared to the others.

If you plan to tank or heal, just take any time really (beside Cataclysm) and queue your happy butt to 60.

Problem with that is that for players to stop feeling like that, Blizzard is going to have to one-up themselves every time. At this rate we’ll be fighting the creators of the creators by the end of the Shadowlands. Where do you go from there lol?

People make fun of JRPGS cause you always end up killing God but MMOs are even worse in that regard nowadays.

I mean yeah, basically what i’m going to do i guess.

1 Like

I think those intro quests are fine, and in fact pretty good…when doing it the first time at the start of an expansion. Once the xpac is over, there should be an option to skip, regardless if you’ve done it before or not.

4 Likes

Hah that’s true. JRPGs actually end after killing “god” (aside from NG+). In MMO’s it’s always, “oh that wasn’t really god, here’s an even more godlike actual baddie to kill that was pulling the strings the whole time!”

5 Likes

All MMO eventually face that problem and honestly I don’t know. As soon as they went beyond human vs orc or the scourge, they’ve set themselves to spiralling out of control.

Did you notice we haven’t had any poop quests so far this expansion?

They’re so newer players can at least understand some of what is going on in the story. Long story short, new players aren’t very likely to read the quest text. And we’ve been important since TBC and beyond. We’ve gotten the ear of important military generals in outland and northrend as they request our help. A normal adventurer wouldn’t get that respect, we’d have to wait as a normal soldier in line to get drafted like anybody else.

Isn’t there one that involves collecting gorm goop in Ardenweald?

Yea sure I agree, but there should at least be an option to skip and get on with the normal gameplay

1 Like

That’s something that is the most sound solution, but blizzard isn’t really high on adding QoL features especially in this expansion. It’s been more anti QoL if anything actually sadly.

Yea, just seems like something that should’ve been considered when they set up the chrome leveling options this xpac

Also as far as that’s concerned, tbh it started going haywire with WoD. Before that they had managed to keep the game relatively grounded.

And there was definitively other places to go than time travel orcs with the story at that point.

I don’t mind the epicness if I can be spared the annoyance of rerunning something like Storm Peaks at basic flight speed on every other character I level.