Anyone else hate the Glimmer build?

I’ve played hpaladin for 10+ years I have to say standing in melee to get the effects of mastery was not great, now having to dps and rely on procs is even worse, I honesly hate glimmer spec, I understand why people use it, due to our lack of AOE heals and tank heals that no longer compete with disc, and the nature of aoe damage in BOD and COS, but the game play is horrible, I hate having to deal with melee mechanics, heal and dps, while dispelling, bopping and sac’ing, the skill level actually got me ecited to play it , but its just boring and hard to play.

I really liked WOLK and Cata hpally healing, the changes to the class I would make is increasing the effectiveness of dev aura, brining back holy radiance, when wings are active holy radiance is super charged and increases range to 20-30yards and increases haste healing by x amount, judgement increases haste, flash of light heals for less and costs less , holy light heals for more but costs more. Keeping the tier 100 talents and 90 talents. Blessing of sac needs a rethink , maybe reducing the damage transferred for a shorter timer, a 2min timer means 1 maybe 2 uses, I feel you want to reduce the timer to bring pallys more on par with disc priest in terms of tank healing.

I also want clarification from blizzard is glimmeradin the direction Holy paladins are going, I saw ret paladins in classic and BC healer/dps hybrid, didn’t go well

12 Likes

The alternative spec still requires you to be in melee though cause of this trash mastery it’s not the build’s fault it’s the mastery

7 Likes

You can still just cast and heal if you want. I pulled 20 k plus doing it for a few BfD raids. But you use a lot of Mana and no Mana trinks right now. You can pull higher numbers too depending on the dmg going out and the number of healers with you.

Now with that said glimmerdin or judgement healing is easier. But I don’t care for them either really. They are a kinda fun design, I just don’t like having to do to heal competitively.

The problem with just “cast healing” is the lack of… good trinkets and the loss of some of our holy shock crits. I’d still like to see holy radiance and illuminated healing come back. Or at least holy radiance and our mastery affects us, and our beaconed target. So we got an aoe heal back and our mastery could be spread into melee and ranged.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/glimmer-of-light/179928

Looks like they want to make adjustments to it but not killing the build.

Had my Hpal on the shelf from legion until accidentally stumbling on this build and it is in my Opinion the most fun I have had all xpac. It’s amazing. High APM, pumps damage, pumps heals. Completely different from other healers. A true melee healer. Amazing. Maybe you would have more fun playing something like a holy
Priest?

7 Likes

A lot of the new gen players coming out don’t like to just cast. That’s why any melee ish build is popular. Right now I’ve seen melee pally healer, of course, changes to ranged survival to now melee survival, a few people have tossed out builds for a battle mage(melee spells?)

With that said, if the changes don’t work, they aren’t really be fixed. (I think survival is like 3 percent of the current hunter community and I’m not kidding) lol.

Without glimmer or judgement, pallies can still do good. It’s just a lot more work for not as much gain.

If survival did the most damage among hunter specs, at least 50% of them would be survival.

3 Likes

Disagree with everything you said, but at the same time agree. I love HPlally like a mutha. Its moved on from what people want it to be or told it should be. If you have the mind of a traditional healer, this class/spec is not for you. If you have a team mindset, this is a class for you. If you have an aggressive team mindset, this is your class. This spec shines in larger scale PvP and is fun as f**@.

1 Like

Here’s the problem IMHO. For hpal the fast heal is way too penal manawise and so the vast majority of heals has to be the slow heal. Personally I hate our slow heal. It is the slowest slow heal and we have to cast it more often than any other healer. In Legion, where the fast heal wasn’t as penal as it is now, for those of us who still didn’t want to cast the slow heal we went after the crusader might build. The early adopters figured out holy shock and IoL were so good you could sacrifice a GCD on crusader strike to create a very mobile, as long as you were in melee of a hostile mob, rotation. Unfortunately in early alpha of bfa holy shock and crusader’s might were nerfed to an extent that build just wasn’t competitive even with the very mediocre, relative to other healers, standard build. Glimmer of Light has revived the crusader might build. The early adopters have enjoyed this for a couple months. I was an early adopter in Legion but failed to recognize the resurgence of the Crusader Might build with Glimmer of Light in BFA but now that I’m caught up it is amazing and almost as enjoyable as the T21/sea star build of Legion.

I don´t hate glimmer build, i just hate every dungeon is so melee unfriendly.
And while that you have to focus on healing while meeleing creeps.

I played HPally from Wrath until WoD, and took a break from WoW through the end of WoD and all of Legion and the beginning of BfA, and I gotta say, I hate HPally now, being a melee centered healer. Having to sit in the melee and spam Crusader strike to best heal.

It really doesn’t scream HPally for me. It makes me have to deal with all the disadvantages of being a melee class, while having to deal with the stress and focus of a healer. It’s not fun, so I switched to solely Protadin. I remember fondly the simplicity of sitting with the ranged classes, and bombing targets with strong hardcasted heals. Being the kings of tank healing. It was our niche, and gave other classes the raid damage healing title.

Leave it to Blizz to gut and revamp my two favorite classes (Rogue and Pally) to something I plainly don’t enjoy.

7 Likes

As someone who got CE on Hpal and in another guild as disc priest in BoD, saying disc is the better at tanking is hilariously false. They have the worst tank healing. Sure they have some passive tank healing if they have atonement up but their tank healing is the worst of all healing specs for times when the tanks need healing like a dungeon.

2 Likes

Holy Paladin is just a mess. The only fix I can possibly see is to rework the absolutely terrible mastery.

1 Like

I find it to be the opposite for me, and I hated playing Holy with the change to “melee healer” because I don’t like having to spam CS while being in melee range, while focusing on movement, healing, CD’s, and trying to reach the ranged who are also moving.

It’s needlessly spammy and complicated for me. Just my opinion though, and not a popular one it seems. I’m not faulting you for liking it, in fact I’m jealous that you can enjoy it so well. Good on ya mate.

3 Likes

They admitted rhe glimmer build wasnt intentionnal and even nerfed its healing throughput.

You don’t have to play glimmer if you want to play Hpal.

That’s not really true, they stated the opposite. They said this is the kinda stuff they hope will come from systems like azerite armor. They nerfed it’s healing throughput because it was extremely OP especially when you consider everything else, not because it “wasn’t intentional”.

I agree that you don’t need to play glimmer to play Hpal, if you’re in a relaxing normal/heroic guild it’s probably nbd however glimmer is pretty far and above any other build for holy atm and it’ll be even further ahead with essences (namely ERT/Well). So you’re gimping yourself by not playing glimmer but that might not matter to you depending on your current raiding status.

2 Likes

Like I said cookie cutter builds with optimal dps/hps only matters if you’re doing mythic or high mythic+ key. If you’re only doing normal and heroic casually you can play pretty much what you prefer and enjoy and you’ll be totally fine!

2 Likes

Been playing Paladin since cata, holy radiance needs to come back. Honestly.

3 Likes

bingo

give me back MOP holy pally with ranged denounce dps spam, and rolling big eternal flames on people for massive beacon healing

and a mastery that did not suck based on range (illuminated healing = absorbs)

5 Likes

I was 100% okay with being a less effective raid healer, but being a GREAT tank healer. Standing back, bombing massive single target heals, and playing effectively whack-a-mole with health bars instead of just blanketing the raid with heals. It was fun, and dropping Word of Glory to pick up health was a blast.

4 Likes