Anyone else excited for how light and optimistic the tone for DF looks?

I’ve been looking through the screenshots people have been posting, and I have to say, the whole tone and aesthetic of Dragonflight looks so inviting.

I haven’t played much of Shadowlands (just came back for 9.2) but in that short time, I’ve been very put out by the dark, depressing colors. Ardenwield and Bastion are nice, but choosing Maldraxxus of Revendreth as your covenant really gets to you. Then there’s the Maw and Torghast…

The vibrancy of Dragonflight is one of the things I’m looking forward to the most.

8 Likes

The gear I was pretty cool with most of it, though Maldrax bones isn’t my thing. I’m just looking forward to how the zones look! I’m tired of blasted and wasted apocalyptic hellscapes. They weren’t fun all the way back in BC and they still aren’t fun now.

1 Like

I’m so sick of looking at Oribos and I have only played SL for two months.

The new hub looks so green :green_heart:

3 Likes

I really liked Outland .
Sometimes I go back to Kul Tiras … I love that place .

1 Like

I’m in beta and no doubt the zones are beautiful, they really strike this high fantasy element. If you’re looking for an expansion that screams relaxing and peaceful, DF is definitely a step in the right direction. Narratively for me it’s also in the same ballpark, light and optimistic, with a few darker undertones but nothing too interesting imho. It’s a nice step away from WoW satan but the primalists as villains can only remind me of the Iron Horde, bland and boring. Hopefully they shape up to be more interesting, they don’t have to be a cosmic level threat but they could use some nuance. I assume there’s some greater narrative at play, least I hope so.

2 Likes

It feels like a return to WoW.

2 Likes

If by light and optimistic you mean bland, sure.

At least the dungeons look great, but the dungeons have basically always looked great. I wasn’t a fan of BFA zones either but the dungeons like Waycrest and so forth looked great there too.

2 Likes

Yes, There is only so much blasted wasteland one can handle. Be nice to explore somewhere that was just lost and forgotten and not torn to bits by magic or cheesed off gods/demons.

I’m certainly more interested in a more grounded, vibrant setting. The dark, gritty, “we have to stop Super Satan from destroying the cosmos!” nonsense of Shadowlands was off putting and the zones were all just… meh. And I didn’t pick-up the expansion until 9.2.5.

To quote Bilbo Baggins - “I’m going on an adventure!”

3 Likes

Yeah I think WoW generally does better when it does camp.

1 Like

Its like putting on that old pair of pants with the crotch blown out. Just feels light… airy…home.

1 Like

While im excited i have learned over the years that just because a game looks good, does not mean its going to be good, and wow is a shining example of this.
Wod Looked good.
BFA Looked good
Shadowlands looked good
If there is one thing wow is good at, its making the game look good. Blizzards art team has always been amazing, but an art team cant a game good by themselves. I dont car if the graphics are from 2010, if the game play is there, ill play it. Example of this being classic wrath, its a graphical down grade from retail but miles better in terms of being an actual game.

I hope dragon flight is more then just a pretty face, i hope its actually good.

2 Likes

The one part of the world I think I’m most excited for is for everything to be connected again. I hate how they did the Shadowlands zones, I hate having to either hearth or use a flight path to go through Oribos every time I want to go to another area. This is and has been one of my biggest contention points around Shadowlands because it makes the worlds feel so isolated compared to the rest of the game. Having it all be open and accessible is why WoW is my favorite MMO to play because it feels like a world, so a return to that is a serious relief.

1 Like

I for one am! Too many areas in SL are just…bland. Just one color over an entire zone. I’m excited for some color and scenery!

Also less elevators…less elevators would be nice…

DF looks nice, content wise for me though doesn’t look all that good to be honest so I guess aesthetic is where my optimism ends.

I’m definitely looking forward to Dragonflight. All the screen shots and videos look like a place I want to go to and explore. I’m excited for all the new NPCs we are going to meet too! It will also be nice to not have a heavy convoluted plot hanging over us the entire time.

WoWs vibrancy is what initially drew me to it, it’s nice to see such a charming and colourful expansion.

1 Like

I’m loving Dragonflight already. I don’t play the beta or watch videos on the expansion because I want to be completely surprised and want to explore the zones on my own. I am very optimistic about this expansion.

I think it ticks a lot of boxes for what I would consider “good” without actually doing enough to make it good. At least as it is now.

Talents getting their overhaul → good
Professions becoming relevant → good
Big zones designed for flying → good
Dragon storyline → good
Grounded, exploration themed expansion → good
New race/class → good

I just wish there was one big system added to go along with all this to push it over the top. Something like player housing or a solo/small group challenge mode to occupy my time with.

Still there’s always future patches.

Oribos was awful!