Any way to request a name get released?

I have every Class max level on the Horde side. They’re all on this Realm, Nordrassil. Well Nordrassil is connected to Muradin. Now I want every Class on Alliance and naturally the best place to do that is the connected Realm.

I went to Muradin and made all of my Characters with the exact same names. I got to my Druid though and his name is “Unavailable”. I looked it up and not only is it not in use as of late, but whoever has it never even got high enough to make the Armory.

I understand you can’t just ask for names in use to be freed up but this is a case where it’s clearly being wasted.

I currently have the name Jeff on Laughing Skull in use. I will gladly give it up for “Warb” on Muradin. It’s not even a real name. I just typed it in one day for my Horde Druid and ended up sticking with it. I need it for my new Alliance counterpart :confused:

1 Like

best you can do is go on to that realm and ask if anyone owns that name.
Odds are you will never find the owner but there is nothing else you can do.

Honestly I don’t know why they don’t do occasional name purges to keep people from holding onto one indefinitely.

6 Likes

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I’m fairly certain that you can make a ticket to request the name be released, and if it was something like 2-3 years old and had been inactive the whole time, Blizzard would consider it.

I swear I remember seeing posts about this in the past.

Shortly before Legion, you could ask a GM and they’d clear it if the char was inactive for X amount of time, might have been a level requirement - not sure.

Now you’re just SoL.

4 Likes

There is a character that has a name I want. It has been so long since it has been played it does not show up on the armory any longer but when it did it was wearing the green set of a freshly boosted Pandaria character. I try to get the name every once in a while but no luck so far.

Honestly I feel like I remember them doing this a couple of years ago or so?

I only got Jeff - Laughing Skull cause the original had just been permanently banned…well that’s according to his Arena friends who hit me up thinking I was him at the time lol.

They did.

A old friend is in a guild I still own on another server. His name was changed and numbers were added to the end of it. It wasn’t the only example I’ve seen either.

they do. :rabbit:

1 Like

Even when I try to add the guy it says “Player not found.”

then they’re on the other faction.

…wait… no, that would be “player not friendly” or something.

if a character has been deleted, the name is still locked to the account for x amount of days

I feel your pain OP. I have characters named after every main pony from MLP… except for Rainbowdash.

Curse you Rainbowdash - Malfurion! :angry:

Any idea how long?

i think it’s 90 days with a transfer

30 days with deletion (if the character was 30+)

-happy for someone to correct me if this is no longer the case

Names are freed up from accounts that are inactive for 2 expansions. Don’t think they have ever said when they purge the names. Meaning I don’t know if it’s at the start of an expansion there is a check for inactive from 2 expansions prior or what exactly. The key is it’s the account activity not character specific activity.

It’s been a long while then.

I have a couple names I’ve been trying to get my hands on for a couple years and I know they are in the same situation the OP is describing.

I’ll have to check when Shadowlands launches then.

Thanks for this info.

I feel like it was during the WoD beta. I just remember it being a big deal at the time.

Edit:

No wait, I think it was during the WoD pre patch. I remember logging into an old RAF account I had made to get the Swift Zhevra in BC. The Character on that account had to be renamed.

I check for names I want from time to time but they don’t announce when they do it. My best guess is because they don’t want everyone just waiting to reserve names and would rather it be organic when people try to create characters. That’s purely speculation on my part though.

1 Like