Any reasons to do BG at all in BFA?

Hey guys, I’ve played BFA since beggining, but focusing in arena/basic pve content. I’ve quit in 8.3 because of the absolutely ridiculous state of the game, but I’m wondering… Is there ANY point nowdays on doing BGs (non-rated)? Any reward apart from the conquest? I’m from the time where we’d do it to gear up to arenas, and I kind of miss this part of the game, even though it was grindy as hell and we had to do it lol.

2 Likes

Is fun an acceptable answer?

10 Likes

425 blue gear.

I don’t think people should play battlegrounds if they want something. They should play because they enjoy the game itself. If people aren’t playing battlegrounds because they enjoy it and just want gear or conquest, it removes a certain passion that makes the game fun for everyone else. This is what sets pvp apart from pve, in my opinion. Wish we could have PvP gear from vendors, all gear up on an even level, and just play the game.

2 Likes

I do bgs mainly for the entertainment/fun factor. The 425 blue gear that random bgs drop mostly ends up getting vendored or DE’ed.

If you’re looking to get geared from random bgs you’re gonna be disappointed. Much faster to get gear from M+.

4 Likes

This used to be the primary reason I did BGs, but for some reason it’s just not in BfA. Nothing to do with rewards… I didn’t really need them in past expansions.

2 Likes

My reasons? Marks of honor to buy cool sets across all my characters. They’re also fun, although with how… interesting 8.3 is with rng corruption we’ll see how long the fun factor lasts.

I pretty much just do random BGs. Reason 1. fun and 2. conquest points for gear / weekly cap.

Now, doing this on Alliance requires understanding that it may take 10 or so que’s for regular and 20 or so for epics just to get that 1, daily win.

2 Likes

Randoms were for the fun factor. Corruptions killed it for me and now I just focus on M+ with friends for fun. Ill queue up some Bgs when its just me and im waiting for buddies to log in to hit some keys but I mainly just go in with a meh attitude and dont really care to win or lose.

It is the best answer. It is the answer I would generally give.
However, the following has become true:

While I still generally “enjoy” BGs with friends, I just haven’t felt the same fun factor that I used to. I’ve never cared about the rewards, for me it always about killing people and trying to be better. That is my personal reward.
But BFA is just so bad in nearly every aspect that “fun” has become less and less so.

That is the only reason why I do it also. Very, very seldom is there a 1v1 fight in a random bg. Usually a big chaotic mess and if you get the attention of too many people, u die.

1 Like

I just /yell LOL and vanish.

JMO the reason to do it is for fun, especially if you have some friends to play with. A secondary reason is for conquest since not everyone likes/wants to play arena/rated or do islands.

Yep, I’m a bit anxious about that. So far I haven’t noticed corruption power creep that much, but maybe in epic BG settings it balances out a bit more - not to mention when you’re often on the winning side things still feel good overall. The system probably still needs another month or two before we start seeing crazy crap, unless blizz nerfs corruption in PvP before then.

1 Like

Story of my mistweaver life :tired_face: why does Soothing Mist have to be so obvious, dammit! It’s like a beam right to me lol.

Conq, mounts and titles that about it

Back in 2014 I wasn’t enjoying WoW much, so on a lark I started a thread where I talked about my adventures in farming all the PvP achievements on my way to Bloodthirsty. The way that thread required me to reflect, set goals, occasionally get help from friends, and then share everything was–hands down–the most fun I’ve ever had in WoW.

Achievements are worthless, but if grinding them out sounds even a little bit fun you might find them more compelling than all the fish boxes and RNG 425 gear combined.

1 Like

You might come across players who post on the forums.

2 Likes

Back when they announced that Strand of the Ancients was being removed from the game there was uncertainty about how it would affect the Battlemaster achievement, with some suggestions that it might become legacy. So I decided to complete the grind for Battlemaster before it potentially went away. It was quite fun chasing those achievements. The achievement itself, the pixels in the game, may be worthless, but the fun had along the way holds plenty of worth.

Whenever I join a BG the first thing I do is check the enemy team for names that I recognize so I can mess with them.

2 Likes

I miss when pvp gear was a thing. They could introduce BG gear. I know they don’t see the appeal to that - its assumed if you have fun in bgs you’re going to move to rated bgs and then arenas but this isn’t true for me personally, i love bgs, they’re the ideal pvp environment for me. I wouldn’t mind specialized gear for bgs and bg rewards like maybe a title, a special mount. The special gear could have stuff on it that benefits bgs primarily like some kind of thing that activates more (stat) based on how many other people have the same trait. You could win a trinket just like the old frostwolf trinket from back in the classic days that would let you teleport back to the main base of the bg. Maybe 10-20% faster mount speed in a bg. I mean, the possibilities are endless.

1 Like

I was in an eots the other day and took something around 100-120k damage strictly from corruption.

In a dwg I got like an 80k hit from something (I think infinite stars) and I logged off after that and haven’t run a bg since.

I enjoy arena, but bgs have been my bread and butter love of this game for a looooong time.

They have been less enjoyable in general to me since the legion pruning which removed so much, reducing both the fun due to homogenization, as well as reducing utility (a la arms losing shattering throw this effing them against bubble or ice block).

Honestly I enjoy leveling bgs more but the queues are rough.

3 Likes