Any prot pallys attempting to raid?

I know they don’t have a taunt, but could it be possible? I know everyone says they can’t, but at this point ive seen more then 10 boomkins/shadow priests in MC and Oyn lol!

Is anyone currently attempting to prot pally tank? How’s it going?

Our Prot paladin main tanked domo last week. Guild gave him a quel serar and everything.

2 Likes

That’s awesome!!! I wanna see more of that! ;D

Jump on the Paladin Discord, there are pallys in there that have tanked raids with raid logs available…

Its possible in certain fights, the greater blessing trick helps, its just not really ideal. But if people are down to try then why not. Personally I gave up trying to tank as a pally because it was just too frustrating with people going full force dps the second I aggro even before I do any damage.

I’m leveling prot on my paladin alt (who will likely become my main.) The original plan is to switch to ret once I get the dungeon gear I want after 60. Who knows, though… It might be easier to farm gold as prot. I’m not opposed to tanking raids, if the opportunity presents itself. I’m with @Sapanaro though when it comes to being frustrated with folks not allowing me to gain threat (I’ve tanked a number of dungeons with my druid, and as well with the pally.)

1 Like

Did he just tank majordomo?

Prot paladins can pretty much tank any raid boss, but other than onyxia (where they can continue to generate threat during phase 2 via greater blessing of kings), it is difficult to think of fights where they would be optimal. (But then warriors take the lead again in phase 3 due to being able to break fear)

The lack of defensive cooldown, and the fact that they can give other tanks most of their mitigation abilities (devo aura and blessing of sanctuary) makes them an ok support tank, but not an amazing main tank.

Then there’s the issue that gear for them is scarce as you progress, as the paladin tier sets aren’t built for tanking, which makes it harder for them to keep up.

There’s a lot working against them, but a good player can overcome most of it and still be a functional tank, if not ever the best option for a fight.

It wasn’t really until burning crusade where blizz started making fights that paladin AoE threat was really nice to have in raids.

paladin aoe threat if played properly is decent. immo oil, thorium nade, the epic aoe shield, consecrate is pretty good at grabbing threat on a high # of mobs

single target is where they fail big time. they dont have a single ability like sunder, heroic strike, shield slam, revenge etc, that generates huge threat on one target. this is to not even mention taunt. their ability to get a big threat lead on one target just isnt there. for meta purposes, telling dps to hold off for 5 seconds isnt viable

once warriors get TF their aoe threat surpasses paladin

We have one in our raid. In MC he’s more of an off tank (Our two MT are a Druid and warr), but he tanks the adds or whatever boss just fine. They really shine for Onyxia! Phase 1 warrior tank pulls like normal, phase 2 all range blow up Ony while our prof pally spams greater blessing on Kings on which ever class we have the most of, and by the time she lands he’ll have an insane amount of threat and then tanks phase 3. Makes the transisition so much easier, and stops the yelling at the warlocks to run to the front. That King’s trick even worked when he forgot to turn on righteous fury and remove salvation.

1 Like

Assuming you have a group willing to work with you the problem with a lot of the gimmick specs out there (shadow, oomkin, prot pally, etc) is that they are all missing crucial abilities to round out the spec. Thus why they all got pigeonholed into healing.

So paladin or druid tank/DPS, etc are always doable. The question is if you’re the type of person who likes to take those underperforming specs and work your butt off through tricks to be viable.

It’s doable. There are some real issues tho.
No way you can have like speed runs or really competent DPS and expect to do much. Warriors doing 1500 dps and mages doing 3k + AoE early in fight for example.

But again, it all depends on your raid… Classic is so easy that I can’t really enjoy MC without going for ranked DPS parses or speed run times…

1 Like

so he tanked the boss that nobody fights? cool.