Any predictions on when legendary base prices will drop?

I was hoping that the 9.2.5 changes would drop the legendary base item prices on the AH. I’d like to just play around with a bunch of new legendaries, but the prices still haven’t really dropped much - certainly haven’t drop 5x like the crafting requirement.

Is it that the margins are now so low that it’s not even worth it to start selling them at this point? So if you weren’t already levelled up to max you might as well just give up on trying?

They didn’t change the cost to make a legendary, just the cost to level up the ranks to be able to make them. The only reason the cost to the customer would come down would be through additional supply - more people able to make the one you need.

However, since they waited so long to make this change, it is too late for anybody to be able to turn a profit starting to level them now, so only a few curious people are doing so. So supply won’t be affected much so prices won’t be affected much.

They should have done this progressively through the entire expansion; say dropping it from 15 crafts per tier to 10 crafts in 9.1, then 6 in 9.2, then 3 in 9.2.5. It would have let more people join the market over time. Hopefully they are learning, so will do better if they do something like this next expansion.

2 Likes

the price will drop when demand drops as folks camp out and wait for patch 10.0

Lower level legos have dropped in price because there are people leveling some now. A lot of them are literally selling for less than the cost to make them. So if you’re just wanting to play with them then buy a low level one since the effect is the same it’s just the stats that vary. Case in point: 225 ilvl leather waist is selling for 15g on my server. 225 ilvl leather shoulders are going for 8g. That’s just ridiculous.

That said there is still a base cost to face. So you’re unlikely to see higher level ones drop in price beyond a certain point. As an example, my leather worker can make max level boots. Based on my AH prices, the mats required are;

. 40 Orboreal Shards 4,000g (exalted rep bonus)
. 40 heavy desolate leather 800g
. 15 Enchanted Heavy Calloused Hide 1,000g
. 15 Heavy Callous Hide 135g
. 170 Desolate Leather 415g

And it needs the Vestige of the Eternal to bump it to 291 which is another;

. 40 Protogenic Pelt 4,500g
. 3 Heavy Callous Hide 27g
. 2 Progenitor Essentia 2,900g

So the base leather boot items at 291 cost 13,777g to make. And that’s not counting the cost required in leveling the recipe to rank four or buying the recipes themselves along the way. As a LW I’d be crazy selling 291 boots for less than 14,000g.

That said, if you came to me with all the mats I’d happily make them for nothing. And I’m sure a lot of crafters would do the same (or for a minimal “tip”).

edit: Forgot to add, even if the mat costs drop to effectively zero because there’s a huge glut on the AH or you can farm them yourself, there will be a minimum fixed cost of 4,000g since the Orboreal Shards are vendor only.

1 Like

This breakdown just highlights how grossly broken the economy is on my server. I just bought two 291 scale gloves and 291 bracers for a total of 50k.

You also have to figure in the AH goblins.
I was about to pull the trigger on the 291 bracers, there were 9 going for 31k on my server.
Went to go buy them last night and some goblin bought them all out and relisted them at 80k.

Yeah I don’t think so AH pvper, I bought a 291 belt for 26k and called it a day.

worst thing about that is they might have been cheaper to begin with but sellers have to deal with that hostile buyout garbage in mind too. that’s a lot of capital to hold up on a bunch of items sitting around.

few realms have enough sellers on to consistently counter that at this point. besides that situation there’s no reason to really pay much more than a few thousand over the material prices right now. everything is so saturated with sellers and solved in terms of daily average material production and value.

I stopped crafting them. Between the high competition and the cost of mats, it’s just not profitable unless I sit in the AH and cancel scan until they sell.