Any nonmage tried to level up by pure mob grind?

In if yes - what’s your thoughts? Is there even a point?

In theory it saves travel time and give more chances for world drops

I did this on my hunter. Basically leveled like a bot. Did ele earth/fire farms and timbermaw rep from 37ish until 55. I hate questing and I can just log out/log in as I please this way which was a much more easy braindead approach to level.

1 Like

Best bet is only do quests that require farming mobs that there are a ton of. Then you get mob xp and drops at the same time as quest xp and rewards. Just don’t do quests that involve a ton of running around.

This is the best xp per hour for sure.

1 Like

It’s just so much pain. Not sure anyone will try that

It’s been feeling fine to me for multi-tasking without having to worry about travel for long periods. Main thing is to go update your gear once in a while. I’ve been grabbing leveing wands and doing some tailoring to cover that.

It’s faster to use key quests in between mob sets. But there is a spread sheet online that shows how many mobs you have to kill per level and how much exp is required.

Simply calculate the mean average time per mob kill, multiply that by the xp, factor in potential travel times for spell upgrades, gear repairs, food/water and you’ll roughly come up with the same /played time as everyone else.

Even someone as inefficient as myself would only take /played 10 days as a warrior.

My hunter is at 3 days at level 44. Which is roughly half way to 60. So at my pace it would take 6-7 days play time, assuming I dont start dungeon spamming for prebis.

1 Like

depends on the class. Some classes are better for it than others… Also finding a really good spot to do it in.

In vanilla I grinded.

In classic I quested mostly, and then dungeon grinded with guildies.

Dungeon grind = more XP/hr than straight grind.

My current toon is a warlock, shouldn’t be too problematic.

I did it post 50 on my hunter. Not exclusively; occaisionally I’d get a dungeon as well, but I did no questing post 50.

The big advantage is quests provide gold instead of exp at 60, so if you can find something worthwhile to grind, it’s very good money.

I reccomend looking up patterns for professions that drop off specific mobs, there’s a couple of these you can grind out before 60 and make decent money on the AH (or you can use the recipe yourself).

Satyrs in Azshara are a good call if your toon is a warlock as well, need many demonic runes to make robe of the void. Felcloth is also always useful, as is runecloth.

oldschooler prefer the hunting grounds leveling of lineage over the questhub style of Everquest…

Money, mats, recipes, actually good gear.

Not joking about the last part btw. Most quests offer pretty horrid gear for classes unless one of four things. 1) its BiS for a pvp twink, 2) its appearence, 3) Its got a unique equip/use effect, 4) Its actually good replacement for gear you already have.

Can’t tell you the number of times I disenchanted a quest reward I got because it was just worse than something I found off a random mob.

There are certainly a lot of bad quest rewards. However, there are also some amazing ones. The whirlwind axe for a warrior, for example. Or the weapons you get from the Scarlet Monestary quest to kill the bosses.

A bit of research will show you what quests are nice to do and get rewards from. Those rewards can help you grind mobs faster and save you time. You can avoid all the other quests except the ones which are for killing mobs you’re already planning on killing.

unless ur AOE farming bis XP is just farming as u go from quest hub to quest hub

solo anyway

Did it with my hunter who is basically a farming alt to supply my warrior tank with gold. Just farmed leather. I did a quest here and there, mainly for gear upgrades, but most of his xp came from killing beasts to skin.

i wish my memory was good enough to remember quests with gear rewards, since i’ve already done most of them once

But that is what I mean. Even with research, you will get more gear from quests that isn’t even for your class and you can’t even use, or if you can, its because whatever occupied that slot before was just terrible or you had nothing equipped in that slot.

Like I’m currently doing Centaur Bounty for Centaur Ears and all I will get as a reward is a ring with +7 spirit. And before you say it, my ring slots are already filled with better ones that offer agility and were also loot drops.

While farming these centaurs as a rogue, I actually got an upgrade to my dagger, going from a Bear to Tiger and it also just had higher average DPS overall. And that dagger I replaced also came from a loot drop as nothing was offering my class a decent upgrade. And before that dagger was one of the rare few I got as a quest reward but it was also for doing a rogue-specific class quest. And before that dagger I literally bought a dagger for 22 silver from an npc, as again, nothing from quests was offering a better alternative.

and while it is true there is some genuine good ones, even ones you can keep by not completing the quest, its more akin to a needle in a haystack with rewards.

I’ve done a variety of things leveling up with various characters, just to mix it up a bit. I generally do questing when I have purple (non-rested) XP & farming/grinding when I have blue (rested) XP for a level or two built up.

I even did several levels on my Survival Hunter in her late 30’s (she is now 50) without using a pet just to play the class in a different way than normal. Traps & melee after range pulls still work pretty damn good, pet or no - especially as Survival spec.

As far as questing, some quests (elite or no) just aren’t worth the effort or travel involved, if you don’t need the specific item reward. You could grind the XP faster, & probably be less annoyed in the process.

2 Likes

I leveled up via grinding mobs only doing quests I knew awarded worthwhile/significant gear upgrades and the occasional kill quest. Did this until I believe level 55 at which point I just ran dungeons to begin acquiring pre bis.

As soon as I start doing quests I seem to spend more time running/flying all over the place so it’s always faster for me to just stay busy killing mobs non stop. Also helped me be about 75% of the way to my epic mount upon hitting level cap.

1 Like

well, problem is that some good rewards are behind series of quest and you can know about it only if you, well, know about it.

Or use any of the dozens of guides/databases.