Any Mac DF Alpha / Beta Testers?

Do we have any alpha testers who care to chime in about M1/M2 performance and expectations.

1 Like

Maybe one day.

So far alpha crashes if you even look at it funny, there is a bug that’s mac only that causes it crash on even most minor of assertions, makes it kind of pointless to even TRY To play it right now.

Once it’s actually playable I plan to test it out better.

1 Like

I’m trying to test it, however on an intel imac. the crashes/freezes kind of limit my play there atm.

I do get strange crashes (ie: equipping a weapon the first time, in specific places), but for me, the most annoying part is no direction icon in the mini map.

Keep having trouble finding stuff, especially in enclosed areas.

Friends on PC seem to have the icon.

1 Like

oh yes, I’ve noticed this too. can’t see where I am on the minimap. the latest update is even worse :frowning:

*Nom’s Mooni’s minimap*

:crescent_moon:

It’s now beta, and still just as unstable.

At this point, i have very little faith mac client has gotten any attention in months. Whether it does before shipping remains to be seen but we’re only 2-3 months from prepatch at this point, it’s certainly telling how much blizzard has scaled back their mac support to bare bone minimum.

2 Likes

Seems to me there is something unethical about suggesting the game will run on a Mac when clearly it will only run in a depreciated state compared to its PC counterpart.

The idea that you’re paying the same price for a wholly different experience, that they know, upfront, that it is an after-thought at best.

Either pony up the people to do it right or verbally acknowledge that the game is being shipped in an “as-is” state for the Mac platform with no promises of it ever getting any better.

Right now, I would not recommend this game to anyone on the Mac platform. It’s clearly PC only from my point of view. At least ArenaNET and SquareENIX were completely upfront stating that support for the Mac platform has ended.

Blizzard needs to do the same and just admit that the Mac platform is no longer of any interest to them other than mobile.

2 Likes

Worst part about it is there are people on team that love mac, and WAND to work on it and even bring other games over to mac, but the higher ups are like “nope, while on our time you’ll work in x”

When they fully dissolved the mac team they stuck them all over the place and they only get to work on mac super rarely when there isn’t much else to do.

they also haven’t had any actual mac tech support since mackhan or whatever his forum name was, was laid off. the blues that pop in here from time to time actually still reference his support knowledge base. They basically had him write a bunch of mac specific trouble shooting guides/notes for PC tech support to reference when they pop in from time to time. Actual dedicated mac support though has been gone years now.

3 Likes

Reading this has made me glad I finally decided to just rebuild my gaming PC, leaving my Mac for work and mobile only. My PC isn’t perfect, but it runs WoW flawlessly.

I love Apple products, and I so badly want to have a homogenous Apple ecosystem both at work and at home, but the reality is that even if I only play a handful of games, and even then mostly just WoW, it feels wasteful to buy a new Mac for home when my favorite game’s support is in such a state.

I want to be mad about it. I want to scream to Blizzard higher-ups that they’re shortsighted and making a mistake not planning for the future with ARM and Apple Silicon.

However, I realize that these are deaf ears.

The only hope I see for the future of Mac support with Blizzard is after the Microsoft acquisition. My hope is that MS isn’t so short-sighted, as they are primarily a cloud services company now. They don’t care if people play their games on XBox, PS, Wii, Windows, Mac, or Linux. They just want people using their services. So for that, I have hope.

Blizzard is missing the boat right now by not developing a platform-agnostic cloud play service for their games.

I’m using mac more and more for games because of progress crossover is making. In fact even if they ended mac support for wow, I’d be able to probably get it running with DXVK

since codeweavers and valve are both heavily invested in wine and dxvk and moltenvk now, it’s providing an alternate path to mac gaming. crossover 23 will even probably enable diablo 2 and 4 to play since that’ll probably be one that gets us dx12…linux has dx12 now but mac will take another year.

1 Like

Long live the Mac! I will die on this hill.

The Mac’s market share is ever growing, albeit slowly. With the continuing growth of their market share in the phone/tablet market and more powerful and affordable computers (think MacBook Air), not to mention their very good ecosystem, Blizzard would be very shortsighted to not keeping their games running on MacOS.

1 Like

Beta is basically unplayable right now. I am getting a game freeze and the spinning beachball constantly, even after turning down the graphics settings.

1 Like

I am on a 2019 27’ iMac and it is unplayable. I have turned down the graphics settings, tried adjusting other settings, and just moving around locks up the game completely. Rolling beach ball and frozen. This is pretty ridiculous on a 3 year old computer. Hope they get this fixed or Dragonflight won’t be an option for me :confused:

I did get in the DragonFlight Beta today and loaded it on a MacBook Pro M1 Max with 32 GPU cores and 32 GB Ram. I was able to play at 60 fps with all graphics at 10 except shadows and compute effects. I also disabled outline mode (just a personal preference there.) All of these three were at the lowest settings. I just prefer lowest shadows and compute effects offer little for a major hit. Every other setting was at 10.

I played through the quest to get to the Dragon Isles and found that all there was still 60 fps. Temperatures were good at about 160Âş F to 170Âş. I did not increase the fan speed over what Apple was doing natively.

Granted, I didn’t do too much that was very intense. Once I got to the Dragon Isles I mostly fished. But, there were dozens of characters there of people getting off the boat and frame rates stayed at 60. (Which is the cap I had.)

Yeah I forgot to post the latest build FINALLY made it a little more stable.

1 Like

What I’m really curious about is if the minimum requirements are a full-on hard floor at 10.15. That will determine whether I need to get a new GPU or not. If nothing else if it isn’t a hard floor, being able to test how the client works would prove beneficial for those still stuck on actual hardware that will fall below current requirements come 10.0.

I’ve been able to get onto the PTR on both my macs which fall below the minimum requirements. My Macbook Air is still on 10.14 (and just has intel integrated graphics.) My ancient iMac is on Catalina, but has a 4th gen processor and 3rd gen graphics card — both below the minimum.)

I haven’t done much playing to say how well they are running it and obviously can’t access Dragonflight areas on the PTR. But, at least as of right now, there aren’t any hard stops blocking the game from running for pre-patch.

I haven’t seen an improvement yet. MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 (Intel i9 2.3 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, AD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB, yadda yadda yadda) and still lock up every few minutes on Dragon Isles. Will test again later and hopefully see the improvements.

My understanding was the issue only affected Intel-based Macs but, looking at the earlier posts in this conversation, did someone say their M1 (or M2) Mac had the same issue or similar (entire game locks ups / freezes requiring a Force Quit to get out of it)?