Any Mac DF Alpha / Beta Testers?

Is vsync enabled?

If you mean me … yes. (If you meant someone else… never mind.) :slight_smile:

After you asked, however, I did test the game with vsync off vs vSsnc on and the issue persists either way.

Ok

yeah i’d imagine it’d be worse with it off. it shouldn’t be off on any mac and pushing for the ability to even turn it off to be disabled. metal just doesn’t like it being off.

as for why you are having issues though, who knows.

Indeed. There doesn’t seem to be any answer coming yet from Blizzard for why so many of us are having the same issue.

Have any Mac users tried running this on an older OS, specifically High Sierra 10.13? For various reasons, I won’t be upgrading my Mac beyond High Sierra and, yes, I do realize that at some point WoW will stop working on it. When that happens, I hope to be able to run WoW in Windows via BootCamp. I’m just curious if the next expansion is when it breaks.

you don’t need beta to test 10.0, just install the PTR which has 10.0 pre patch and find out how it runs on your own system.

That’ll give a baseline at least, though I’m sure the new zones will perform worse. But if it’s playable it does at least give me time to try to find a way to scrounge up for a new GPU. Buying time is never overrated in today’s inflation infested world. :slight_smile:

Beta tester here. Running an intel chip iMac Pro 2017 with 128 GB of RAM and a Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB. Using MacOS 12.16. Beta stopped even loading today, and previously it would run fine for a random amount of time between 5 and 40 min, then totally lock up the game as well as my entire computer. Only way out was to do a hard reset of the computer. Pretty annoying, even for a beta.

CMD-OPT-ESC doesn’t work for you when it locks up?

My late 2013 iMAC gonna have issues me thinks

Doubt it, gpu hangs are problematic on most amd and intel gpus in general, and apple silicon ones if vsync is off.

apples drivers are just bad. and have been bad for a while now.

No, def not.

PTR runs pretty good on my Mac Studio except the enemy nameplates are not working. I thought at first performance was improved but I think not.
I am still puzzled why performance in a dungeon like Spires of Ascension is total crap, it really doesn’t matter if you turn down setting to lowest or off and resolution to the lowest fps is low… Good thing for S4 this isn’t an issue but I hope we don’t see this in DF.

They used some really inefficient cpu eating effects for the anima streams, and it was changed in 9.1.5 and never changed back despite so many reports of the regression. They never even showed any interest in fixing it even when experts on blogs literally did very specific testing proving the regression. My understanding was basically not that they didn’t want t fix it so much as they put all focus into DF instead of fixing the remaining issues of shadowlands for most part.

And they are still behind in having DF ready for launch despite fact they let shadowlands stay broken in some regards when they went all in on DF. It’s not promising all around. The right thing to do would be to delay DF longer and not pressure these devs, but sadly the game industry is absolutely about making shareholders happy, not the developers or the players.

Crunch sucks. Does nothing for the devs or the players, and CS gets an earful because of the frustration caused by an incomplete or partially broken game. I’ve already preordered my CE. It’s paid for. I too would rather they wait to launch so they can get rid of the bugs and put some real polish on the new expansion (and maybe fix some broken pieces of SL).

@Tavlina - Please add /Beta to your thread title so Google searches direct to this thread primarily instead of causing players to make new duplicate threads.

Done :slight_smile: …

Apologies if this has been mentioned - have done a google search, searched the forums and nothing has turned up. Anyone else having issues with black marks on anything vaguely resembling a hill/mountain? Happened in SW, happened on dragon isles. Am on an M1 MB Pro.
Example

Edit: Never mind - finally found another post mentioning it.

Cross posting this thread which is even more people
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/repeated-game-lock-ups-mac/1325528/89

1 Like

Put about 3 hours into it, no twice. could not get dragonflight beta to run on macOS through wine+dxvk. it would work in theory but problem is it fails an arbitrary gpu check that dxvk doesn’t answer correctly on macOS

I’m going to keep trying to find a way to get wow running in macOS because even though intel users can just go to boot camp, apple silicon users need a viable work around when dragonflight comes around to stay up and running and there has to be a way to get it to work in crossover or some other wine flavor with DXVK because they’ve come such a long way thanks to codeweavers and steam. only thing i’m getting stuck on is an arbitrary check in wow.exe itself that is basically saying “this isn’t a windows PC I recognize, don’t even try to run”…or I think it’d actually run

if that doesn’t work, at least wow runs on steam deck

After reading so much about the stability issues in the beta, and also about how little support the Mac client seems to get, I have to ask this question:

Are we looking as a scenario where they remove macOS support in the near future?

I would very much like to know whether or not I can expect WoW to run on any Macs I may purchase over the next several years. According to the official support requirements, I should be able to, unless the requirements are about to change.

Are we to trust the official requirements?

(I realize that this is still beta, but we are getting rather late in the testing process and I’m concerned about all of this discussion about stability.)