Anti Necro Posting

If whatever you’re posting about is still relevant, then that would mean there would be people still interested in the topic and would be able to continue the discussion. But if there hasn’t been any movement in 30+ days, then that means the topic isn’t really all that relevant anymore and people have moved on. So, once again, it is always more advantageous to just start a new thread.

Haha, niche problems that are still relevant exist all the time. And again, having it all in the same place is much more advantageous.

If it’s been 30+ days since the last post then the conversation is already dead, Therefore you should just start a new thread.

The only thing I could add to this topic Kaivax, is that in addition to more robust time-frames for necro-post locks; I think it’d be worth looking at the Suggested Topics feature. Many a time I’ve seen threads that were suggested topics, and I posted in them… only to discover after I’d done so that some were weeks or even months old.

Granted part of that is on me for not being more situationally aware, but it is still something that could be looked at as I doubt I’m the only one who’s made this mistake and it would go far to solving this issue also. Cheers. ^^

Okay pal. I think you’re wrong, and have experienced situations in which you’re wrong.

We’ll just agree to disagree.

Except I’m not wrong. If it’s been 30+ days, then the conversation is dead. There’s nothing for people to “pick up on”, so just start a new thread.

Yes, you are wrong. Yes, there can exist problems for people that last longer than 30 days. No, new threads are not better.

Again, agree to disagree.

1 Like

But if there has been no conversation for 30+ days, then there’s no need to keep the old thread going. So, one final time, it is always more advantageous to create a new thread than it is to bump something old that is most likely not nearly as relevant as you think it is.

2 Likes

I don’t see any reason why an old large thread with outdated discussions should be kept open. That this forum doesn’t lock at 500 posts is bad enough - who would wade thru 5000 posts looking for an answer? Ask in a new thread.

As for niche problems (whatever they may be), pretty sure Blizzard has taken note of it when it first was reported. That they haven’t done anything about it to “your” satisfaction is no reason to keep blathering on in a mega thread.

There’s no downside to locking old threads. They don’t disappear so it can still be referenced. Just unnecessary to post in them months later and kick it up to the first page. So many necros have been useless comments way after the fact then people bite the troll and the mad cycle continues.

Make a new discussion about your niche problem…you may find that nobody cares.

3 Likes

Incorrect. Please read my other posts explaining why this is wrong, since I’ve already explained it to you already. New threads are not better. Keeping information consolidated is better.

Except that’s not what happens. Ever. No topic is consolidated in the way you think it is. And if they were consolidated that way, it would be an even greater argument for locking them after 30+ days of no activity. Nobody wants to wade through hundreds of posts just to find out if anything new has been said.

Sure, for a large thread. Not for a normal sized thread with only a few replies. You know, the large majority of threads.

Information consolidation is nothing but beneficial for solving niche problems and for people looking up the problems in the future.

Yeah, that’s an issue. People are unlikely to care about said problems and your new thread is useless. If, instead, you posted in the thread you found on google you’re much more likely to find people who are able to comment/help on your niche issue.

Thank you for proving my point.

I am personally a fan of 90 days, though… Hear me out Kaivax.

If there is a locked time frame of 60 or 90 days then that opens threads up to being “gamed” with people making sure to bump them at least once every just to keep a thread open.

I am not sure how much work it would be but I think a more complex system that takes into account “frequency” of posting as well so if its only one or two of the same people constantly bumping a post right before the auto lock it takes that into account.

Just my two cents, that way one or two people can’t just keep posting right before an auto-lock to keep it perpetually opened.

1 Like

You had an example from some technical forum where old info is still relevant. The specific gameplay forums may fall under informational threads that should be kept.

But this is WoW General Discussion - it’s not supposed to the repository of pertinent facts. We’re just discussing stuffs.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s fair. General discussion having an auto-lock makes the most sense. But all forums have auto lock to the best of my knowledge, which is a problem. Especially so in technical issues.

It’s been 5 hours but I have a question which is slightly off-topic. A year or so ago there was a player named Triplexx who used to post the funniest threads about his Great Panda Hunting Adventures.

This was on the old forums. Do you know if there’s any way we can have access to those threads?
I did try to look them up, can’t find them.

He was really funny. Ty in advance either way.

1 Like

Right, which I disagree with. Have you not read my posts?

If you ever manage to find them on Google you can see the cached version of it.

Surprised this thread got very hot.

What it means is they can put a lock on inactive threads in General Discussion and not lock threads over in Technical Support.