Another way to spend Insanity

That’s something I could be interested in, my only concern is now that insanity has a fixed value (As a fraction of a DP), the insanity gen from fiend and bender can actually be measured, tuned, and impactful. At which point do you need the dark thoughts interaction? I get that it’s DS4set Esque and I loved that thing too, I’m just wondering if it’s a bit overloaded doing damage, generating insanity, and generating procs which generate insanity.

1 Like

I agree its not needed. But that’s why its a DPS CD. I just wanted it to be meaningful instead of press and forget. I wanted it to change our gameplay for its duration.

Again, I think it existing in a form of a legendary or tier set bonus is fine also. Just would like it in some way.

That I can understand, I’m just reminding you that insanity gen now has a noticeable impact on your rotation by giving you resources to spend on DP.

Which is another reason why I was thinking Void Bolt is not really needed. I want to reduce button bloat. I would like if Void Eruption turned into Void Bolt. Then I think VB would be fine. But I don’t like a button that is unusable for 90 sec and only usable for 15 sec and during that window, I need to spam it on CD.

I hate useless buttons.

It does. Voidform is coded to interact in exactly the same way it does now. Just at a fixed 15 second duration on a 90 second cooldown.

I’m confused / missing something then.

So let me understand this clearly.

When I have 90 insanity, I press Void Eruption button. VE turned into Void Form button showing a 90 sec CD (now counting down). Where is Void Bolt? That is a separate button correct? OR does Void Eruption turn into Volt Bolt button WHILE in Void Form? Then once Voidform ends, the Volt Bolt button turns back into the Void Eruption button showing the remaining CD of the ability?

Erupt turns into VB, then back into erupt with 1:15 left on the clock once VF ends.

Huh… I could have swore it did not work that way in Legion. Ill have to log into my priest to check.

Or did that change since Legion. Because I had Shift + 3 for Void Bolt and Mouse button 4 for Void Eruption.

No it’s always worked like this since legion hit release.

Your Shadowmend idea is really great and solves the same problem. I added it to the OP. At the end of the day, any kind of defensive measure we can take while sacrificing a little kill potential seems like an impactful choice. Instead of being a cast, what if Shadowmend was a strong, instant cast, toggle-able heal over time effect that required insanity to keep up? With the addition of Flash Heal, we’ve already got a 1.5 second cast heal in our kit so a change to Shadowmend would actually make sense.

2 Likes

We have Flash heal again? Or is this on the wishlist?

Wow I reread the notes and there were baseline changes to Flash, but I didn’t see it noted as baseline for all specs…Which is saddening. I always though dropping Shadowform to flash heal was a necessary and impactful trade off.

1 Like

there definitely should be some other use for insanity. its basically shadow orbs but with a bar now. spells build insanity, formerly orbs. dp costs insanity, formerly 3 orbs. basically the same. only difference then was that psychic horror was the other spender. now, if you want another spender youd have to take legacy of the void. so i agree, there should definitely be another use for insanity. i really like the idea for dispersion. being able to weave dispersion may be too good for pvp unless it had an decent initial cost and a cost/sec.

1 Like

There’s a few solutions I thought to address overpower
-adding a modest 30 second CD along with the insanity cost
-make it cost upfront insanity and additional insanity to stay dispersed
-make it a very fast insanity decay
-reduce the flat damage reduction/movespeeed/regen

The end result is a regenerative mode we can go into on command to cool off our insanity bar. you would see Spriests saving a certain amount of insanity just to be able to disperse as needed in PvP. Therefore any priests who are dispersing too frequently aren’t pumping out DP (Which is heavily loaded damage) so I believe it would be balanced. The Spriest would be rewarded with greater defensive capabilities if they can weave their DoTs and procs to generate more insanity.

You’d have to have some kind of benchmark such as if the priest has 3 multidotted targets anda full insanity bar, you would then have enough passive insanity gain to stay in Dispersion for an extended amount of time

1 Like

I think an initial cost and a cost per second would be best. It would probably have to be an increasing cost per second though to avoid being able to stay in it too long due to mass multi dotting.

I suppose it could also just be a 50 insanity cost with a 2s or so duration. That would cost an application of DP. It would be nice to have something like that though to pop into quickly to avoid massive Chaos Bolts or even soak certain boss mechanics on a whim.

Perhaps it would have no cooldown and be a toggle but would drain 25 insanity per second, allowing for a total of 4 seconds of massive damage reduction, movespeed, and regeneration. But that would cost you an entire insanity bar thus making you unable to cast Voidform or DP or perhaps even Searing Nightmare. An impactful trade off indeed. I don’t see the issue with being able to turtle at the right times if it means we can’t turret, aoe, or use our best dps CD.