Another obvious consideration the decision makers missed

Q. Why do people on the Classic WoW forum keep pretending that they know that all classic servers will be force progressed.

A. It’s because of the wording of the latest survey, and a leak about a pre-patch.

Q. What if the leak was wrong.

A. Well, that is why arguments are still occurring about the subject. No only that, but the decision makers at A-B can’t be entrenched already in their idea about Classic WoW TBC release.

We need to talk about a super obvious thing about Classic WoW. This content was released again to satisfy fans old and new, but mostly old.

Q. What if little Timmy says, “Dad, can I play that game with you from the beginning,” in 2021.

A. Um.

Now we can discuss the obvious consideration that A-B decision makers have missed. Classic WoW can deliver vanilla-TBC-WotLK only if a method to transit all three versions exists always.

Let’s think about why the wrong way of releasing TBC content could ruin the spirit of Classic WoW. Consider forced transfer. Imagine someone opts to stay vanilla for six more months, then transfer later. How would that happen? What if little Timmy and dad made new characters, and mom waited six months, so that all three could enter TBC together. How would that happen? Consider character copy. How would the same happen without facing the problem of people abusing it to create multiple copies of the same character with different stuff? Is that abuse? Would anything stop this family from gaming together? What if they started a year from now?

Tell us your path to success for the spirit of Classic WoW and this beautiful family here.

1 Like

I put very little stock in the leak. In fact, I think that the timetable we will see is probably longer and that the leak’s timetable is getting everyone unduly excited.

However, I do think that progressing classic servers into TBC is the logical choice. Just from talking to people on my server and reading the forums, it seems like most people are really excited about TBC and want to take their classic characters, guilds and server communities with them. A few die hards want static phase 6 servers, but those are inevitably doomed to thin out as people lose interest in raiding Naxx and queuing BGs over and over. For the minority who want static phase 6, it’s best to give them their own servers and consolidate them, to keep their servers active for the longest time.

Hot take. Blizzard leaked it on purposed in an effort to collect more data on what to announce at Blizzconline.

Surveys were written in a way to help you draw conclusions to things that are not actually going to happen. The survey could have been sent out as a way to simply get people to talk about TBC, so Blizzard could collect even more data.

Its literally mind-games.

Blizzard will go with the most profitable route. Standalone Classic and standalone TBC. It keeps you playing and subbed longer. They might even charge you to transfer your level 60 over.

The Pre-patch leak could be something they purposely leaked to help you draw a narrative.

1 Like

I agree that blizzard should of made this clear way before blizzcon.

If true, the mention of a prepatch indicates players will be able to progress their characters into TBC in some way at least. It gives no clear indication how that process will play out. It has no bearing on whether or not fresh TBC servers will also exist.

I don’t think the leak was wrong but rather people’s interpretation of it. Nothing from the leak implies we won’t have a way to continue playing vanilla after TBC releases.

3 Likes

There is no spirit of Classic wow when every single person has a different opinion of what that ‘spirit’ should be.

The “path to success” if for Blizzard to release TBC in whatever way they want and it will be successful.

People can debate on these forums as much as they want but at the end of the day, right up until Cata/MoP any classic release will be successful by any metric you choose.

edit: It’s hard to understand why people have any faith in Blizzard to do what’s best for the players and not what’s best for their shareholders. They’ll do whatever they think will maintain the most revenue while costing the least capital.

1 Like

This right here. People just ascribe nonexistent meaning to the leak/survey to support whatever their agenda is.

u seriously think blizzard employees would have anywhere near the smarts to think of that? lmfao.

I hope they clarify this. I came here because Blizzard promised me a museum that will not change. That 5 years from now it’ll still be 1.12 classic version. Not TBC. I’m not here for TBC. Everyone who started classic, came here for classic.

And on top of that blizzard literally promised static classic museum. Come on guys, please clear this up for this, what is going on? I don’t want to be forced into any expansions.

3 Likes

The problem with Vanilla is that pve’rs cleared the content super fast. The majority of players had a blast. But we’re at the end. What are players going to do now? I don’t think the majority of pve’rs enjoy 1 shotting eachother in full naxx gear.

Pvp oriented people had fun for a while up until world pvp died off and Premades are 99% of battlegrounds.
Most pvp’rs have moved on waiting for TBC.

I just don’t see how a classic only server/servers would survive.

So? What do you think a museum is? It’s to remain available for generations and generations to experience.

As long as wow classic remains available, people can go back, re-level with their friends and experience all again. WoW Classic is basically a never ending moneymaker for Blizzard. They just have to allow it to remain available as a standalone product. People who speed ran Wow Classic will leave as expected. It is unrealistic for Blizzard to cater to those people. They will never be satisfied.

Look at Old School RuneScape.

1 Like

My guy wow now and wow back then is not even the same game. Nothing we did in classic this time around was remotely close to what I experienced back in 2004 beta and on.

The botting, hacking and gold buying/selling literally changed the face of classic. The Hardcore meta dudes drastically changed how things were done and which classes were played. The amount of gold being thrown around in classic feels like retail. People in general did NOT have this type of gold back then. I played an unhealthy amount of hours back in those days and was actually very good at all things wow. I never had the type of gold that is obtainable now.

I’m not saying that everyone buys gold but from my experience more people buy gold then not. I have been in several guild discoords and GDKPs where people openly talk about how much gold they can and do buy and how easily it is bought.

In today’s wow buying gold is NOT looked down on. In these discoords people openly talk about it as if they were out farming it, like its no big deal to throw down $20.00 for 1k gold.

Maybe you’re right? Maybe classic could go on like RS but I just don’t see it. Were watching the #'s go down hill right now like BFA subs went down and thats saying a lot. I think classic could run a couple of full servers if they condensed and did the right thing by players. But were talking about activision here. I seriously doubt they put any effort into helping classic persist into the future beyond tbc and probably WOTLK re releases.

One thing is for sure. The people who created the original world of Warcraft will be remembered through the ages of gaming for all time.

So? Just because YOU didn’t, doesn’t mean that is true for others.

Blizzard allows retail to classic gold trading. So yeah.

There is a reason why they only added such a small amount of Classic servers. They only wanted to manage or support a small amount, because they didn’t want to progress them. They wanted to leave room to add more servers to the list for other expansions. If they added so many wow classic servers in the very beginning, the condensing would have been a much larger task when the pop died off. Limited amount from the beginning with laying is more cost-effective.

They will probably just add 39 more servers for TBC with layering just like they did for Classic.

1 Like

You have zero idea why they did a horrible job with the servers on launch.
You don’t work for or know anyone working at activision or blizzard.

Condensing is not a large task in 2021. What most people agree on is their ego once again played a big part in how they handled classic. They literally thought BFA was a good expac even though it saw record # sub drops. We can only speculate why they handled the servers so poorly on launch. But there is a ton of evidence in their Q&A’s to support certain theories.

No. But everyone I played with agrees. Just about every person I talked to about this specific topic says close to the same thing. Yea, of course not everyone is going to feel the same way but I believe the majority do… Just look at the posts for the past year regarding the situation.

That is like saying they allow players to buy gold… Is it going on? Of course it is. That doesn’t mean it isn’t against TOS. Trading gold between classic and retail is in a gray area, an area they ignore because activision wants gold tokens in classic.

And you do? From what I can deduce, Blizzard thinks they did a fantastic job.

You just contradicted yourself by calling him out for not working at Blizzard. Now you’re claiming such a task isn’t that hard for Blizzard in 2021. So…which is it? You’re very, very hard to follow.

You mean 0.01% of the player base?

GMs not banning and accepting are two different things though. GMs generally accept and won’t ban players from retail to classic gold trading. But only with gold, not real money or tokens.

For people in that field, uh yea we know my guy.

Again so you’re just taking a guess here? How do you know they haven’t banned anyone for trading gold?

Because they said it was allowed. That is why I said what I said.

copy all character data from each classic on release night, and paste the character data over to the corresponding tbc server. for example, the character data on vanilla classic sulfuras is copied and pasted onto tbc classic sulfuras on tbc classic release night.

this snapshots everyone’s progress on everyone’s characters as they were at the night of tbc classic release night, ensuring everyone has a level playing field in that capacity. this also allows for everyone to continue playing vanilla classic while at the same time being able to play tbc classic as if their servers had progressed to tbc.

1 Like

No they didn’t and I’ve already proven to you that they didn’t.
Here’s the interview where the word museum was used: https://www.wowhead.com/news=291757/xdlate-wow-classic-interview-with-ion-hazzikostas-and-calie-schie

The funny thing is the game already has had several changes. I really think you don’t pay attention while posting on the forums or you’re a troll.