Anglers' Water Striders

I sent an Anglers’ Water Striders to this character who is level 13. The tooltip on the item says requires level 10 but when I try to equip it in the equipment slot I get “you can’t use that item.” Several of my other characters have this equipped at similar levels with no issues. Can anyone explain what’s up with this?

Are you trying to equip the water walking mount equipment or the actual water strider mount?

1 Like

The mount is called Azure Water Strider so it should be obvious by the name the Anglers’ Water Striders is the equipment any level 10+ character can equip. The actual mount has been in my mounts collection for awhile now but for BfA it was made into a normal ground mount.

Then I would think that either that character hadn’t learned riding or there was corrupted character data for that particular toon.

A complete UI reset should resolve any corrupted data.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even be trying to equip the equipment without riding being trained first. I just bought another of this item and it worked fine on a level 17 so it’s highly unlikely a UI reset will fix anything. I’m leaning towards a tooltip issue.

UI issues can effect just one character so doing the rename of the folder to try and see is still a good idea. If it does not fix the issue just rename the folders and your back to where you were.

2 Likes

UI reset had no effect. Never ever had the UI affect just one character this way in 13 years, but did it anyway just for kicks. I’m going to get this character to 15 and try again, still working on the incorrect tooltip theory.

Well then you are lucky as it happens quite a bit and I have had it personally happen a few times. The UI folders are different for each character you make and they can become corrupt and affect only one character.

2 Likes

It is actually very common for UI corruption to just impact a single character.

A proper reset UI can be done a few ways. From deleting the 3 folders involved outright - to moving, or just renaming them.

Even when it doesn’t help, it is helpful because it can rule some things out, but it has to be done properly. WoW can’t be running. All three folders must be done. An ingame reset isn’t the same thing. We see all of those things quite often.

5 Likes

I renamed all 3 folders with even the Bnet app shut down, launched the game, still couldn’t equip the strider gear. Does it matter if I completely move the folders or is renaming them enough?

Renaming should be enough. It should create them fresh on your next login.

To be clear I did this several hours ago, in case it wasn’t obvious by my earlier posts. No change.

Turned level 15 and was able to equip Anglers’ Water Striders. Looks like the tooltip is indeed incorrect, but I might make a new character just to test it.

2 Likes

I have to agree, this appears to be a tooltip error. I sent an Anglers’ Water Striders to a lvl 10, and I was unable to equip it. A different mount equipment I bought off the AH which also states that it “requires level 10” was usable right away.

1 Like

I wanted to try that but they were way out of my budget on that realm. Thanks!!

1 Like

Just FYI, I have tried this on multiple characters now, after creating 8 new alts across Horde and Alliance. I already used this during the prepatch on other level 10 Allied Races (possibly before the official prepatch with Icecrown boss spawns and zombie event), and other low-levels, but for some reason, recently, it no longer works on any character below 15, even though the tooltip still says, “Requires Level 10.”

Did something change when the prepatch officially started in 9.0.2, where the level requirement somehow changed in the background, but not in the tooltip?

Report the situation on the bug report forum where QA will see it. Customer Support doesn’t process bugs.

1 Like

It is a wider issue, Bind on Account items are having issues, the Cache’s of Supplies and scouting maps aren’t working correctly either. Even a full interface reset didn’t fix it. And it is only since the last maintenance.

1 Like

Seeing this issue as well - says level 10 but can’t equip.

I just had this happen as well. One thought: are you still doing the starter tutorial? I’m in Org and haven’t chosen a campaign yet. I can’t use my heirloom flight path books because it says “not available during the tutorial”. Maybe the strider is under the same restrictions.

Reporting this in the Customer Support forum will not get it fixed. Posting it in Bug Reports will.

4 Likes