Anduin the Broken (sad AU I thought up of while depressed about the Alliance)

I wound up thinking up a sad possible AU while feeling down about how the Alliance will most likely never be able to truly get their own expansion focus (Legion DOES NOT count), and how I found out some Blizzcons had some rather toxic guys treating the Alliance like dirt and booing them so badly. But I hope this AU never comes true at all. And sorry if people don’t like any of this, I thought this up while feeling very down and felt like I needed to vent my sadness somehow.

In this AU I pictured, the Horde had it’s final victory where the Alliance was completely crushed and wiped out from Azeroth, leaving many of the races that formally made it up either all dangerously endangered species or outright extinct. And with the fall of all Alliance cities, including Stormwind, Anduin finally was left a horribly broken man, and with the Horde putting the blame of the fall of the Alliance on him, calling him “a king of nothing” he was left to be a lone wanderer. Bitter, resentful, and full of unimaginable anger, sadness, and despair. Though he doesn’t blame members of the Horde that didn’t partake in such genocide of the Alliance, he swore eternal vengeance on those truly responsible. Carrying both a Corrupted Ashbringer filled with the darkness born from the despair and deaths of the Alliance members, and Shaylamayne to remember what he lost and why he keeps on fighting. Essentially roaming the remains of the Alliance as a one-man army. Alone, or with other broken and embittered Alliance members, he wouldn’t stop until the very same slaughter met on the Alliance was dealt to the Horde members who took part and reveled in it, and only them. Anyone who didn’t enjoy it at all, or wasn’t part of it either, he would demand that they get out of his sight before storming off. If Thrall and Baine heard of this though, I bet they would be outraged and disgusted at what the Horde became and what crimes they committed, and never support them again. With others who agreed with them doing the same.

Sorry if anyone feels bad from reading this, like I said, this was made while I was feeling down and felt like I needed to share it.

4 Likes

If you want to take a darker path in writing about the Alliance go right ahead. Frankly I wish they would step away from this Disney style fairy fantasy style of writing. But that sort of dark fantasy is what draws people to the Horde in the first place and Alliance is what keeps the game T for teen, but boring and predictable.

Even if others feel that might be more interesting, I think many Alliance players would take that as the last straw instead and either quit WoW or outright protest. Only way I think things can be made up for them in said scenario is if not only the Alliance gets the spotlight, but also gets to slaughter every last Horde that remains on the side of the ones who committed the genocide. And like I said earlier, those kinds of guys won’t get any sympathy from the Horde leaders that didn’t want that slaughter at all too. Dunno how this would work for Horde players, but I think it might lead to a full-on civil war amongst themselves.

If Anduin went on a path of vengeance and went all Kill Bill on every faction leader that would be something. The trauma would have to be disturbing enough that the reader or player could justify all that thoughtless killing.

Actually Kill Bill vol. 1 might be a good reference to take. I don’t know how bad a trauma could be if you were to compare it to shooting a mother of your child in the head while she’s brokenly bleeds and cries in a wedding dress. But a betrayal of a major lore character could be something that sets that up.

I dunno, brainstorm a bit. I do this a lot with some of my fellow RPers when I was trying to think of origin stories to write for there characters.

1 Like

I’m not having him do that to all faction leaders at all, only the ones that were truly responsible. But you have a good point too on that. And yeah, I think this works best as a book-only timeline. Maybe the main Anduin and some of the Horde leaders Broken Anduin would see as innocent could encounter him and through him, try to find a way to prevent the tragedy from happening to the main universe too.

People actually RP with you? :rofl:

Sometimes.

1 Like

You must be a regular at Goldshire.

This was good, and hopeless causes are worthwhile.

In fact, I’d go one further and snuff out Baine, Thrall, Khadgar, Jaina, Lilian, Velen, and any other noble hearts among the wouldbe leaders excepting Anduin. Let some Fel, Scourge, and Old God insanity infect civilization to create a Dark Age.

Juice it up further by making it a 1-player expansion, and you truly are the only hero; struggling to understand what the point of it all is.

Then after some futile adventuring that establishes how bleak everything is, but before the player/reader wants to hang themselves irl… you pull someone out of the madness, or find a stasis chamber, or someone finds you.

Exit Humanity, Dante’s Inferno, Book of Eli, I Am Legend, some scenes in wheel of time (Rand on Dragonmount) or sword of truth (Richard held by mord-sith).

“This land was glad for a weapon to be made. GLAD” -Loial, son of Arent, son of Halan

Old man Picard and the romulan blademaster saving the galaxy… “They only take on hopeless causes.”

Edit2: Could actually make the 1-player destroyed world expansion the Final one and have it end with the player/hero igniting something that causes azeroth or the fabric of all life to implode… And in the next scene are some teenagers riding chocobos…! (Sorry.)
Edit: occurred to me Anduin’s theme fits your AU pretty well too.

1 Like

Yes, that’s true.

How about Anduin The BORKEN?! An Anduin I cooked up that is based in an Azeroth Full of Intelligent Dogs?!

They don’t even fight each other, Teldressil was a giant fire hydrant so there was no burning and Outland is filled with hotdogs.