Anduin Isn't Flawless

Of course he did.

He could have stayed off the frontlines like any realistic leader would instead of leading the charge.

Anduin fits the mold of an excellent advisor, as a sort of voice of reason that tempers and plays off of a more direct persona well (see: Varian). I really do think having Genn win out for High King, ostensibly until Anduin was more seasoned, would have been a better situation. And it would have made the faction conflict elements require less nonsense-soup to pull off.

3 Likes

It depends. Of course it’s the fault primarily of the people who perpetrated it, so Sylvanas and the Horde who followed her. Its more like it lays heavy on his conscience because obviously he was not prepared for the very real possibility of war which Sylvanas was capable of plotting. So its the actions he didn’t take which allowed Sylvanas the maneuvers she made that lead to Teldrassil burning. That’s why he says he failed them. The entirety of the War of Thorns was partially made possible by Anduins failure to recognize Sylvanas as a real threat and act accordingly, in my opinion. His speech after the fact is however very inspiring I think for the Alliance.

It has characters questioning his judgement and his point of view loses out. I don’t think it portrays him badly necessarily because he chooses not to protest Genn and Tryande when they leave. He lets them go and sends the PC, the canonical like god-champion of the Alliance, to aid them in Darkshore. But it does show that not everything he says is respected or even correct 100% by the other members.

Yeah this should have been the live version.

Nothing like having a leader of multiple nation’s armies who makes knee-jerk, rage induced actions 
 spurred on by personal vendetta’s in the middle of a fight for the very planet. While I’m not outright opposed to the outcomes of Genn’s actions in Stormheim (nor do I attribute it directly to this war like some Horde do), I do think it invalidated him as a potential “High King” (all he would amount to is increasing tensions between both factions into perpetuity).

Muradin has more experience with the major conflicts over the last 15 years than most leaders. He’s an accomplished battle-commander in his own right. The Dwarven Kingdoms are in a relatively stable position, so he can focus more on the War without worrying about home. Most importantly, he’s far enough removed from the major tragedies of THIS war (and Sylvanas herself) to remain somewhat objective in his military decisions. That advantage is indispensable against Sylvie.

EDIT: Honestly, if Anduin had abdicated command to Muradin (for at least the War itself), I’m honestly not sure how Sylvie would have reacted. She relies heavily on opposing faction leaders making emotion fueled (but tactically inefficient) decisions to gain any sort of edge. Battling the Dwarf that survived the friggen Forgotten Shore might be something she’d have a tough time dealing with.

Muradin has the problem of being apart of the Council of Three Hammers though does he not? Like he still has to focus somewhat on Ironforges internal politics.

That’s true. But the Council and IF have hit a relative position of stability.

They’re also one of the MOST well defended Kingdom’s on EK. Unless the Dark Iron’s betrayed him (or Moira decided now of all times was the moment to play dirty politics, and she’s been pretty good lately) 
 more of his focus could be placed on the War itself than the needs at home.

That’s not a position that Anduin (a leader still attempting to grow into the position); Genn (a King without a Kingdom, who has lost his second home in 8 years); or Tyrande/Malf (after Teldrassil) currently share. Their prioritize are split every which way right now

1 Like

What about High Tinker tho

I’m not claiming Genn would be the best choice in terms of competence and leadership. I’m only pointing out that BfA was a faction war storyline and the Alliance faction has (imo rightfully) been criticized for lacking any worthwhile tension or inward struggle. Genn as HK solves both of those without sacrificing what few big names the Horde has left on the altar of contrived plot convenience.

3 Likes

Contrary to what you say, Most of the people who post about Anduin, insist he’s nothing BUT flaws.

That “A” did look fantastic. Did it not? Did it not?!

Hmm. I guess you’re right I could have worded what I was trying to say differently. They view his ‘flawlessness’ as being the flaw or think his flaws never have consequences in the story. That’s what I see a lot anyways.

1 Like

Honestly 
 with Sylvanas as our Warchief there was no way in hell that she wouldn’t have been the antagonist of this expansion. Stormheim should have been enough of a clue as to exactly why Blizz decided to replace Jin with Her; she’s meant to stir up crap in places he wouldn’t have.

Not saying I like how the execution of BfA is, but Sylvie’s actions and role do not surprise me in the slightest (her actions in Stormheim pissed me off so much I left the game for 3 months after Legion Dropped because I knew exactly this was the sort of route they planned to take the Horde under “Warchief Sylvanas”).

1 Like

They don’t view him as flawless
 They view him as incompetent, undeserving of the throne. Some don’t even consider him loyal to his own people for not wanting to see the Horde annihlated down to the last man woman and unbreathing walking corpse.

And of course he’s not Heroic Chin the way his father was.

Sylvanas has never been a “good” character, but she was typically good at playing the part when she needed to. Now, instead, she is on a quest to make every living creature want to kill her, evidently. Presumably, this is all due to whatever hamfisted plot has been settled on to move the story forward, but I don’t want to derail this into another Sylvbash parade.

Suffice to say, I think they could have nailed all the same story progression in a way that didn’t poison existing lore characters. Anduin ceasing to be the golden child for a few moments would be part of that, though.

1 Like

Well, what do YOU think?

Anduin is constantly being called a Mary Sue, Writer’s pet, Golden child etc.

A significant portion of his hatedom is from people who think he’s written to be perfect.

Some of those also think he’s very flawed but the narrative doesn’t notice.

This is another biggie.

3 Likes

I’m witholding judgement until the story pans out.

Or until he splits open like an egg.

C’mon now that’s a cop out! What are your feelings thus far?

I don’t get why people think Teldrassil is a consequence for Tyrande’s night warrior change. It was a catalyst, not a result. As far as I know, Tyrande hasn’t had any consequences for the power-up yet.

1 Like

Something maybe worth pointing out (or maybe not) is how Anduin and Saurfang seem to represent the pitfalls of the “best among” their factions. Saurfang is the honorable Horde and Anduin is the honorable Alliance. And both are painfully naive.

While I think Saurfang’s writing has been an atrocious mishandling of him and a fundamental failure to understand how Thrall’s Horde should act
 he is paying for his naivetĂ©. I’m just not seeing that Anduin ever finds himself facing any external pressure for his own blunders. Nor does he seem to learn any lesson from them. Just keeps charting the course straight through Lawful Stupid and everyone crewing the sinking ships around him stand saluting their noble leader as the water swallows them.

1 Like

I think that people are both holding Anduin to a impossible standard and forgetting that the player is the Hero, the Champion.