Anduin Is Too Hard For Non-CE Raiders

Even after the nerfs, why is the 8th boss an unstoppable killing machine for average skill raiders? This fight is a throughput nightmare.

5 Likes

It has a significant number of pass/fail mechanics that by themselves aren’t seriously threatening but together make it quite a bit of a wall to continually get through them. That and many of them aren’t personal death mechanics, they’re multiple deaths or raid wiping mechanics.

The color mechanic, two people with the same hitting each other and dying is going to kill two more of the opposite color who cant clear now, which cascades into problems with pushing the phase correctly.

The downstairs phase, if thats done wrong, you dont have the +dmg/DR to properly execute the intermission and you probably wipe.

Letting a cast go off in P2, probably a wipe. Same with a star hitting any of the adds.

It all just adds up. I think its a good encounter, but its brutally tuned for normal.

7 Likes

The fight is so hard that even though I’m 242 illvl with 7/11N progression, I get declined by 95% of the groups I sign up for, and the ones that invite me, ppl don’t do the mechanics.

This is their reasoning for splitting the raid. Anduin is intended to be like an end-boss, and I would not be surprised if the intent is that most guilds won’t be killing him on their relevant mode in the first reset.

They did a similar thing back in the day with Lei Shen.

2 Likes

Fight is way overtuned. Tried to kill this in a pug on Normal for 3 hours. The average ilvl of the raid was 248 (4 ilvls lower than the loot the boss drops) and we only got to final phase 2 times.

The Wicked star mechanic is waaaaaaay too unforgiving on normal mode. Adds on bottom phase also probably have too much hp. Fight is tuned more so for final boss and is way too strong, preventing people from getting 2/4 piece tier and progressing. Wicked star probably needs a 50% nerf or removed on normal and kept as Heroic mechanic.

The heal bubble is also pretty rough when half the raid is in the other side. This should be reduced during these phases.

Let me get this straight. The fight is “way overtuned” because your group of randos couldn’t kill it in one night during the first week of the raid being open, with no tier bonuses or double legendaries?

Does your statement on the tuning sound absurd to you in this context? If not, reread this until it does, because you’re being absolutely ridiculous.

10 Likes

It’s week one, we dont have 2p let alone 4p, I think you’re jumping the gun here.

3 Likes

To be fair, people who are struggling to kill Anduin on Normal aren’t getting 4-pc until they do lol.

Anduin IS a final boss. They literally announced him as one. Just because your pug failed at him while probably failing mechanics on week 1 does not mean he’s overtuned.

5 Likes

The fight is so hard that people are gatekeeping it like they’re doing H Jailer or something.

1 Like

So make your own group with whatever requirements you think are appropriate…

3 Likes

Anduin is supposed to be a memorable fight, and faceroll fights are never memorable. Also our gear will get MUCH better than it is now, and not everything needs to be simple to kill on Day 1 for a raid that we’re probably stuck with over a year until new content comes out. So it should be hard and I hope they don’t nerf it too much.

But at a minimum they should really nerf Blasphemy by giving more time to match up the colors or maybe by making it a DOT that starts ticking hard (but doesn’t instantly kill) if you don’t match up in time. If everyone doesn’t react IMMEDIATELY, there isn’t enough time for the final couple people to find each other. This mechanic is extremely challenging and doesn’t get any easier as you gear up, so I definitely hope it gets nerfed

I don’t think it’s ridiculous at all. I typically end up pugging AOTC the first or second week with randos, which is Heroic. So yes, I think on Normal, where Blizz has stated previously that it should be easy enough for pugs, is overtuned.

A major reason is that he is the third tier boss and if normal pugs/guilds can’t get past him with 2 piece, they won’t get 4 piece. Having to wait until week 5 for double leggos to get past the third tier boss would delay 4 piece even more.

The fight is awesome and felt epic. Ended up killing it after like 90 attempts. I just think the star mechanic is too unforgiving on Normal difficulty and the healing bubbles are rough on groups with lower numbers (10 man). I don’t think nerfing these two things would make the fight face roll easy but it would make it more doable prior to 4 piece / double leggo.

The group I killed it with had an average ilvl of 250. Again, I think this is too high of a requirement for a boss that drops 252 gear.

2 Likes

As instructed, keep reading and rereading my post until it sinks in. Key words to focus on are: “first week”.

Did you think I wouldn’t check? SoD opened July 6; your AOTC is Nov 22. Is November in the first or second week after July?

CN opened Dec 8; your AOTC is Jan 6. Closer, but still a far cry from first or second week.

When constructing an argument, I suggest sticking to facts, especially when the actual facts are easily verified.

How many people in the raid have 2 piece on the first week? Do you think that number will increase with multiple clears? I hypothesize yes.

It’s not necessarily intended to be completed by Normal raiders without at least a majority having 2 piece/ double legendary. Failing to clear the raid in the first week doesn’t mean the raid has failed. It’s intended to be a progression process. If people want to outgear and outplay it early, that’s fine, but if you can’t that’s also fine.

7 Likes

Yall, tier can drop in all 9 slots of the vault. People will get 2 and 4 sets regardless of whether they clear anduin. Not to mention that Lfr will also drop tier when it comes around.

2 Likes

I agree that the fight is very challenging for a normal boss. They should make it so blasphemy gives a reduced damage done if you merge with the wrong color and not one shot people. The befouled barrier should be a fixed size and not shrink. Make wicked star not come back to the boss.

Alternatively, hear me out here…

People could not merge the wrong color, stand in the center of barrier, and dodge the wicked stars regardless of which direction they’re moving.

I think that would have the same result you’re looking for with no changes to the boss necessary.

“As instructed”, that’s pretty arrogant, kid.

I never said I did AOTC this expansion on the DK. I’ve done it over multiple expansion on multiple toons. For someone who has 0 kills this tier, I would have assumed you would know that people play multiple characters and don’t always post on their current main.

I’m merely stating my opinion, there’s no reason for you to go crazy about an opinion. I suggest you do some yoga or meditate.

Sure, but whenever I post something references my experience I will direct people where to look if they want to verify. I don’t see any evidence that you complete AOTC each tier in the first week with pugs, but if you provide it I will obviously accept the statement.

And I’m merely stating my opinion that your opinion is ridiculous because you’re talking about something being overtuned because your PUG didn’t kill it the first week. If you don’t like your opinion potentially being critiqued then don’t share it in a public forum maybe.

3 Likes

You’re getting declined because 242 ilvl is low for the new raid. Most casuals who raid a bit here and there are at 248-250ish right now I would imagine. Why would they take someone who’s on the lower end of gear for last tier’s content when they could take someone who’s 250+?

1 Like

That fight is fun but wow its ridiculous, things hit harder on normal then most middle mythic bosses i remember when i mythic raided. Its telling when tons of guilds are 7/11 heroic but also 7/11 normal which means they got 7/11 heroic and couldn’t kill normal anduin, gotta nerf it pretty hard to be honest.

1 Like