And that kids is why sharding is unacceptable

Sharding does not prevent people from forming groups if they’re so inclined.

1 Like

This and it feels like he’s trying to prove that he knows what we want better than we do.

no, it just reduces the number of people i can interact with.

3 Likes

I’m not reading 500+ replies.

The whole point of sharding is to prevent population overload. That’s it. They’re not going to keep it. There are no major events in starting zones, except being exceptionally annoyed at mob tagging.

No it doesn’t. You can still interact with every player in the zone through general chat, whether you can see them or not. Sharding does not affect zone-wide interaction. And it does not prevent you from grouping up with people, either.

it certainly reduces the chances i see them, thus random interactions like buffing each other or helping them fight mobs or crap like that. which i did ALL THE TIME in vanilla and burning crusade.

whether you like to admit it or not, sharding does effect interactions.

4 Likes

Seriously, I don’t giva a damn if the servers are overpopulated to the point of every mob being camped by 10 players at launch. That is a better experience than being isolated into a shard.

How about this: Have everyone login on the primary shard by default and then give impatient people and power levelers the option to switch to secondary shards during the launch weeks.

Let the rest of us experience the chaos of a true MMO!

1 Like

No. No it isn’t.

that’s how it was on EU launch 2005, and guess what? I loved it.

You go play with yourself in a shard if you want to. Don’t force it on the rest of us.

1 Like

Don’t force the terrible launch experience you apparently love on the rest of us.

Did you read my post? I’m not forcing anything on you.

MAKE THE SHARDING OPTIONAL

Why would people with an instant (figure of speech, not literally “instant”) gratification, convenience oriented mindset who are concerned only about themselves and see all those other players as nothing but obstacles in their way even think about buffing?

I would say that sharding should not be an option at all.

The problem I have with it is that it becomes a crutch. If there’s a stability issue that will be solved by sharding, devs can throw it in as a “temporary” fix that stays forever.

My memory of sharding was that when introduced it was only going to be for old zones to make them more alive. Now I can’t even give a guildie mats without inviting them to a group.

Back in Vanilla, we hung out on the rock between the AH and bank in Org. I could see who was around looking for something to do by just going to the rock.

Introducing sharding means I’m back to interacting through friends lists and queue lobbies. I want to see people in game. I guess I just don’t believe that if something like sharding were introduced that it would forever stay in only the starter zones.

This is going to be a marathon, not a sprint. If it’s too crowded for you on launch day, chill for a week and things will settle down.

3 Likes

Sharding, as well as crz, is part of 7.3.5. It’s always there.

Yes. Yes it is.

Sharding is worse. If you don’t understand why, then nobody can help you. You’ll just have to take it on faith.

3 Likes

No. No it isn’t.

Your not going to change there mind. Just don’t bother.

2 Likes

sharding has no place in classic. starting zones included.

interacting competing and interfacing with other people is what made vanilla great.

any reduction in the amount of people you have to interact with is against the spirit of this project.

if they do sharding it better only be for the first week or 2 and only in the starting zone.

this isnt something we should budge on.

2 Likes

Yep. Exactly what I want.