Ancient Kaldorei are way cooler than current Kaldorei

Highborne are also Night elves. Why do you think that people keep on demanding for more of this stuff to be added to nelves so they specifically play that specific Group?

Excuse me for confusion. By baIance I meant reasonable power and resources that makes faction competitive but not overpowered.
And I’ve read lots of posts in history where Nelf fnas were fantasising about Nelves alone handling entire Horde. :roll_eyes:

This is why I asked “depends on what you find cool”.

You have been asked to name three people who think the night elves are about world domination. Please “follow the rules” name three people who think the night elves are about world domination.
Not about the ability to destroy anyone, barely turning your head, but about the desire to control everything and everyone.

What did you mean in “Why do you think that people keep on demanding for more of this stuff to be added to nelves so they specifically play that specific Group?”? Recognize Highborne content as night elf content, or commit an abstract “Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V” in current night elf history?

Optional part

Who are these people who consider the Fast Forces to be the content of the modern night elves? Yes, modern night elves lived under the Highborne, allied with them and killed them, but the cultured and often blood elves of the Highborne are blood elves. Am I wrong?

2 Likes

I agree with that! I personally miss arcane culture and majestic, less nature-like structures, but thats just me. xD. As I said before, a mix of both would be my favorite scenario. I would love if blizzard could impliment some unique traits to certain class+race combos, just like Vanilla wow priest-racials

2 Likes

The defanging of so many races in game (Night Elves in particular, but there are others obviously) is so annoying. I think this is more prominent on the Alliance but i know it happens to horde races as well.

Another victim of this i would say are the Worgen. For the longest time now i’ve wanted to see them act more feral/savage in nature. Not to say they can’t retain their Gilnean values or whatever that may be, but it’s annoying seeing these groups that should be more “feral” or “savage” neutered so badly.

At least as far as the Alliance goes, i think the Night Elves/Worgen should be as ruthless as the Forsaken.

4 Likes

But Highborne are part of the nelf history, the influence and domination over world is what nelves benefit from. In the end nelves even if they had cultural shift, are still the same nelves that lived though the time of conquest.

Anyway I still corrected myself what I meant. And I’ll edit my original comment as it was indeed too big of simplification.

In the end I actually enjoy current nelf themes, the close to nature, rustic themes. And I detest Highborne, but lots of people have a soft spot for them because they offer ridiculous power fantasy.

Tauren were also neutered. Sure they were gentle giants but they’re not meant to be pushovers and constant damsels in distress.
Aside from MoP they never really had any story going for them, they were always sidekicks to someone else’ plot. Like in Hyjal.

1 Like

Do people surely have a weakness for the Highborne - arcane magic and Greek architecture? Or do they have a weakness for the fantasy of the power and omnipotence of modern night elf culture - druidism on the verge of insanity, archers, whose shots are stronger than those of crossbowmen, the acid breath of chimeras, the active help of the Ancients and sometimes the Wild Gods?
I mostly remember the second, perhaps because I myself dream like this, I even wrote a crazy story. They usually write about the first … I don’t know. Other elf species seem to dream of a glorious recent past after being exiled by the night elves, but not of the events of ten thousand years ago. And the night elves seem to be dreaming of events after, not before, the Sundering.

I don’t think that it even matter at this point since night elf won’t ever be the arcane elf that some people want. The more they’ll have is some customisation and be able to play mage.

I think blizzard made pretty clear that one faction had the nature elf while the other faction had the arcane elf. The horde now have two arcane ex highborn elf race.

I hard disagree. Ancient Kaldorei are boring, non entities.

They are basically all in one, way worse “Elbes”, a extremely bland 0815 “Hight Elf” super duper magically technological “advanced” etc…

Cutting the Night Elves from magic was actually something more novel and unique for modern fantasy.

What you want are basically Blood Elves the Empire (Nothing wrong with that. For me this spot is better filled by others in the story. Yes Surmar is boring for the same reasons (+some “Drow” like enemies, what a novelty).

Duridism is not the reason why they have the problems in the story right now. It’s Blizzards writing.
Their warrior amazon culture + male druids was rather interesting, at least to me.

3 Likes

By “ancient” i truly mean the first Kaldorei, before they got obsessed with the arcane, and studied it with more care (before Azshara and the Highborne).

I’m not fond of an Arcane based empire by itself, (like the Highborne created) cus that is precisely what caused their fall. Personally id love to see both druidism and arcane happening at the same time in their society (why not magically technological but also filled with nature and druidism?) but thats just me tho xD, shame we never got to see that happening.

Its either full super arcane high society like NE (ancient suramar and such) or living in a tree and having leafs in our heads society like NE xD

1 Like

Now I see what you mean.
It makes sense in the story at least, or made sense until the fall of the Legion (ugh this writing).

That’s the modern Night Elves from WoW basically then. They only have to integrate both aspects more / equally. If they would, it could become more and more what you described.

One simple reason why this wasn’t chosen (perhaps) could be fantasy tropes. One extreme or the other, to have clear defined lines.

2 Likes

Technically, while Paladin’s coming from Priests is Human lore, Other races actually have Paladins and Priests being mostly the same class.
Night Priestesses were all but Paladin in name.
Zandalari Prelates are Paladins while Draenei Prelates are Priests.

It’s more game mechanics that separated them.

2 Likes

It might just be an aesthetic thing. I do tend to like ancient Highborne than modern Night Elves and High/Blood Elves. Not saying I don’t like either of those. But something about the ancient empire that has a cool vibe to it.

1 Like

I agree, but I wish we got to actually see it. Even Nazjatar is just the Legion ruin template copy pasted.

As disastrous as it would no doubt be for half a dozen reasons, I wouldn’t mind a Warlords of Kalimdor or whatever just for an excuse to run around a place like this.

https://i.imgur.com/fZczu46.png

10 Likes

100% agree

There are ao many interesting ancient Kaldorei cities from the Empire’s days that would be so interesting to see in game:

Zin-Azshari
Eldre’thalas (Dire Maul today)
Nar’thalas (in Azsuna, has the Nar’thalas Academy)
Vashj’ir (once ruled by Lady Vashj’s mother, now in ruins under the sea)
Old Surumar (without the Nighwell’s influence)
Shandaral (currently Crystalsong Forest)

And so many other big cities…thats basically having many Suramar-like cities in game

4 Likes

These comparisons come from an understanding of the geography and the allies that the Night Elves should have been able to bring into the fight - all things that were taken off of the table from the word “go” for arbitrary reasons during the WoT. I reject the model that acts like we can evaluate wars on the bases that assume that entire militaries are clashing on open plains. Logistics, geography, and extension capability matter.

I actually miss the night elves’ stricter stance on magic. Taboos like that create cool story opportunities, not least of all for RPers. The anti-void policy and jittery Blood Knight RPers in any given Silvermoon nowadays reminds me a lot of the magic scare and zero tolerance Sentinel RPers in any given Darnassus right before Cata dropped. That sort of friction was interesting.

Maiev’s opinion that the Highborne and their mutated descendants were all magic-tainted scumbags tempting the wrath of the cosmos was an interesting party line for the wider kaldorei race. A pity they never really explored that attitude in WoW’s era outside of her character… and even then, only after making her a crazy person.

7 Likes

The Nightborne are the “ancient Kaldorei” you are seeking. All that changes was their skin got darker due to the nightwell. Their culture is the culture you seem to appreciate so much.

1 Like

Well, It possibly would not jump as many sharks as alt-Draenor did. There was also the Well of Eternity dungeon, so we have a link to that era in game.

But its amazing that we don’t “go back” and see more ancient civilizations at their peak with the Bronze Dragonflight around.

2 Likes

Almost all races in WoW are cooler in the past then the present, since the past they actually had societies while in the present they are forced into the homogenization of factions or left forgotten in the dust.

3 Likes