An Update on Pelagos' Pronouns

In an upcoming build for the Shadowlands alpha, we are updating some dialog and quest text referring to a key character to the Bastion storyline: Pelagos. While normally we wouldn’t share these changes in advance, we recognize there is a higher than usual possibility of this being misunderstood if (and when) it is discovered out of context through datamining, and wanted to make sure that our intentions are clear.

A key part of the Bastion storyline is that Aspirants are able to choose a physical form that represents their true self. Pelagos, who presented as a woman in his mortal life, chose to be a man in the Shadowlands. The team had originally written him to use they/them pronouns, but received feedback that he/him would be more respectful of the character’s wishes to be identified as a man. This change is simply the result of us listening and responding to that feedback.

120 Likes

Love it! Thank you! The clarity here is important.

40 Likes

Thanks for listening to the normally unheard voices in our community <3

21 Likes

I’m sorry, but I thought they/them were appropriate pronouns for a person no matter how they were presenting. Is Blizzards stance that a person’s pronouns are easily identifiable just by appearance?

7 Likes

No, he uses he/him pronouns. This is them portraying that.

18 Likes

I am not in a position to know what the NPC prefers and I am not saying that this NPC does not prefer he/him, I am just saying that the NPC may present as a male and be able to use they/them if the NPC so chose to.

4 Likes

Blizzard said he uses he/him pronouns.

19 Likes

I’m glad that Blizzard is once again focusing on the pressing issues the community gives them feedback about.

35 Likes

I was confused as to why this thread had so few replies then I realized it wasn’t in the cesspit that is General Discussion.

I’m afraid to go look over there, since the post has surely filtered to them.

6 Likes

Can’t say this is on my radar but I am VERY pleased to see this sort of communication and explanation.

This is the #1 way to help the community feel involved. Make detailed explanations of decisions the norm, and you will immediately have happier fans.

Or at least a fandom that can relate to the game their are watching being developed over the years.

15 Likes

I’m happy this isn’t GD. They’re all forced to read my pro-LGBT comments but can’t reply to them with anti-science bigotry.

Blizzard said trans rights :sparkling_heart:

24 Likes

umm… alright

25 Likes

What puzzles me is the one NPC (Apollon, maybe? not exactly sure) who was clearly a Tauren in life, as shown through all of his “past images” in a quest we do with him near the start of the zone.

So why does he look like a blue human? There’s no explanation of this anywhere in the zone, I always found it weird.

2 Likes

Made the mistake of clicking on the thread over there… just don’t. (sigh) I’m happy with the communication from Blizz, and I’m glad others are happy with the change.

5 Likes

Blizz this is awesome, thank you.

3 Likes

But Pelagos isn’t trans. You are free to choose any form in Shadowlands. Being female while alive and choosing to be male in Shadowlands in no way infers you are trans.

12 Likes

Identifying as a gender other than the gender you were assigned at birth means you’re trans. Blizzard said trans rights

14 Likes

“Choose a true form” as someone that’s trans myself my god if that’s not big trans energy i don’t know what is.

15 Likes

I wasn’t aware you were inside Pelagos’ head to understand the reason Pelagos is in a male body.

The real point is that Pelagos used they/them and people who are ‘pro trans rights’ scolded Blizzard for it and pushed he/him onto Pelagos instead of stopping to think maybe Pelagos wanted to be they/them.

I said any, not true. Anyone can choose a form for any reason. There’s an NPC in Ardenweald who is a ghost wolf. Is Blizzard now pro-furry? Or does this person just like running around as a ghost wolf?

Maybe you should stop assuming that if someone wants to look like something that means that is their ‘true form’. That seems very anti-trans to me.

8 Likes

Blizz… literally said he decided to choose a male form in the afterlife despite living as a woman in life. That’s quite literally identifying as a gender you were not assigned at birth. I’m not sure how this is so confusing to you.

Source for that?

3 Likes