[AMD] Missing character textures after 9.0

In the same boat. Sadness.

3 Likes

Nvidia Geforce, having the same issue. Updated all drivers, messed with Direct X versions, texture related graphic settings and it remains unfixable on my end.

1 Like

Galias, what processor are you using?

2 Likes

Oh. AMD Athlon x4 640 processor.

I’m starting to see a theme here. (This is Galias, just switched to my actual primary toon)

2 Likes

As I mentioned in a different thread, I’m not sure how the processor could be causing missing textures, but weird computer problems happen all the time in my experience. So far everyone I’ve seen with the problem and listing a processor seems to be using AMD hardware–most of them some permution of Phenom. Definitely seeing a pattern.

2 Likes

Hey all,

AMD Phenom processors are technically below the minimum system requirements for patch 9.0.

It’s possible this is a bug or engine limitation due to something that changed in 9.0, however I can’t confirm that. Phenom technically did not meet the minimum system requirements for Battle for Azeroth either, but I agree it’s odd if it’s the CPU that is causing the issue.

Does the texture display issue persist on all DirectX versions? DirectX 11, DirectX 11 (Legacy), and DirectX 12?

1 Like

Thanks for your response, Jambrix. I have tested DX12, 11 and Legacy 11. There were no changes and these specific textures still remained black.

I tried switching to DirectX 11 but the problem persisted. Trying a fresh install to see if that fixes anything. I just got done replacing my graphics card a few weeks ago so I’d really like to not have to shell out another chunk of cash on parts just yet. I’ve not had issues running WoW previously, and my other games(some of which are graphically intensive, like Monster Hunter World) have had no issues either.

Edit: I also logged into a character to see what would happen. The game itself runs smoothly, even better than before, it almost feels. But the textures are missing.

4 Likes

I am experiencing this issue and this is also the processor I have.

I did not have any changes when I swapped between DirectX11 and 11 Legacy. For some reason since the Nyalotha patch I have not had the option to use DirectX 12 even though I have it on my computer and use it for other programs.

Just a shot in the dark here, but were there any changes made to the engine that would require multi-threading?

1 Like

Tried changing between different DirectX versions and the issue persists. Also updated all drivers and tried repair tool. I reinstalled the game a couple of weeks ago when I had this issue in the PTR as well.

Yeah I have an AMD Phenom too but it would be really weird if that was the problem. My game ran very smooth in BFA and right now it’s running just as well too! The only actual issue is the missing textures.

3 Likes

AMD Phenom processors are technically below the minimum system requirements for patch 9.0.

So, what you’re saying is that my Phenom II x4 750, which is as fast as my daughter’s (admittedly bottom-end) brand new computer and processor (and 10 years older), and can run everything I want it to smoothly including WoW at medium settings, is suddenly obsolete and I need to buy a new PC for hundreds of dollars so I can play your game? Thank God I didn’t pre-purchase this expansion!

First BFA and now this! Let me know when you people figure out a solution - if it was reported months ago on the PTR, I’m sure a fix will be “coming soon”.

22 Likes

I can run the game on High with my specs. And I’ve been putting bug reports in PTR since forever do to the textureless glitch. First it was all white, and now it’s the black texture. It would be really weird if it was the processor that’s causing the problem

1 Like

AMD Phenom II X4 965
ATI Radeon R9 380 Series

I’ve tried altering every video setting including the direct X settings, nothing fixes the issue.

I’m not building a new computer. WoW is still a 32 bit game, there’s no reason to break it like you have. Processor clock speeds haven’t increased in over a decade, there’s no reason a quad core phenom shouldn’t be able to run this game.

6 Likes

It could be weird, yeah. But it does seem as though everyone in this thread having the problem all have the same processor. Considering that the CPU/proc is basically the brain of a computer (if I understand correctly), it might just be translating something weird. Other games with similar or higher graphics either don’t have this issue or have already solved it; I’m thinking all we need is a hotfix that can find what translation is being lost as the processor tries to figure out what the game is telling it.

2 Likes

Confirming that switching to/from Directx 11 / Directx 11(legacy) does nothing to change the behavior for me, either.

That’s true! I would hope a hotfix is possible, my PC isn’t the best out there but it can run other higher demanding games just fine. There could be a line of code somewhere that’s missing or something.

2 Likes

A hotfix is what I’m hoping for at this point. I really don’t want to have to shell out a couple hundred dollars on a new CPU(that’s the ballpark price I found for something that would cover the listed minimum requirement), and after talking with a friend it’s very likely that the actual price of upgrading would be much more since other parts would be needed to go with a CPU to ensure everything functions as it should.

The weird thing about it to me is…if it was a processor issue, I would think there would be other, more serious performance problems appearing, rather than just missing textures. One of the nice things about WoW, traditionally, is that it runs just fine on older hardware. And I’d hazard a guess that devoting more money to new hardware is off the table for a lot of people in the current climate.

2 Likes