Am I playing the base game or an expansion?

Mannn, I know this may be the most idiotic question asked today, but I can’t seem to find an answer. I played the Starter Edition and once I hit level 20 I purchased a sub and have kept playing. My question is am I playing the game from the beginning or have I been thrown into an expansion to start my journey? Thank you to any and all who take the time to respond.

The level 1-60 zones are a mix of original Vanilla WoW zones, and “original” zones that received a revamp in the cataclysm expansion. But even in zones that were relatively untouched in the revamp, a lot of the quests themselves have received updates over the years.

If all you did was apply a subscription to your account, you will currently have access to every expansion’s content up to, but not including Battle for Azeroth.

Continuing to level from 20 will not have put you into any new expansion’s content, but if you’re looking for a cohesive storyline experience (which it kind of sounds like what you’re alluding to in your question?), then you won’t really find that for a while. The zones in Eastern Kingdom and Kalimdor all have zone specific storylines you can play through, but they don’t connect very much on a macro scale. Later expansions still have zone specific stories, but they connect to an overall story arc in a lot more cohesive way.

TL;DR No, you not playing an expansion at the moment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply. May I ask what happens once I hit level 60?

at Level 60, you get the choice to either go to Outlands (Burning Crusade) or Northrend (Wrath of the lich king, which flying also unlocks at this time), then again at 80 you get another choice of doing the Cataclysm stuff, or taking a trip to Mists of Pandaria, at 90 you move to Warlords of Draenor, 100 you move to Legion, 110 Battle for Azeroth.

1 Like

If you’re confused don’t worry! Just keep following the story and it’ll get you to the end eventually! And in a few months when the new expansion drops, they’re going to streamline a bunch of this stuff anyway so it won’t be so confusing to new players!

Ah, level 60…time to fly!!!. Just keep hitting the warboards to get your next area of questing. Enjoy the game!