Alliance RPers, how do you feel about Anduin?

Two threads about IC opinions on Sylvanas as of writing this, so I figured I’d throw one up about the other protagonist of BfA’s sh_tshow, for balance :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

People who RP Alliance-side characters: How do you feel about Anduin? Are you following him on principle because he’s Varian’s son? Condeming him as an inexperienced, naive child who shouldn’t be in such a crucial leadership position? Thinking he’s a secret servant of N’Zoth who ‘sits at the Master’s table’ and is going to offer us ‘three lies’? Good or bad, hit me with it.

Honestly… I’m cool with Anduin as a leader. I haven’t really seen him do anything immensely stupid.

I’ve seen people complain about him being too much of a goodie-two-shoes, and… well, that’s just the Alliance in general? Story wise, they’ve been made into the more reactive faction with the Horde being more aggressive.

I’ve seen people complain that he’s using a sword now… which… okay. He has probably been trained how to use it, being the son of a king, and kings generally being frontline fighters in dire situations is a thing in WoW. Yes, he is definitely a better priest. But I don’t think he’d be useless with a sword. (Definitely not the best.)

The “naive child” thing annoys me a bit. He’s gotten over any “we can save them all” thing he might have had… Hell, he told Tyrande “no” when she asked for reinforcements. (Well, told her “not now.”) That’s not really an easy thing to do, because he has to look at all of the fronts he’s having to manage. But… he’s also been taught to manage these things. He’s the son of a king, he’s going to have tutors. He stood next to Bolvar and Lady Prestor, watching them handle matters in Stormwind. It’s not like he’s ignorant of what he’s doing.

I’m even going to say he knows more about leading a kingdom than Sylvanas or (big maybe on this one)Lor’themar does. Because they are military commanders. That is what they have been taught. That is what they were. “Oh, but hundreds of years of experience” doesn’t mean anything when you are not expected to be handed the regency of an entire people. Yeah, they might have years upon years of experience on Anduin, but the vast majority of that was spent learning how to run a military group, not a large populace of many different villages, towns, and cultures.

Anduin’s pretty alright by me.

6 Likes

As a player, I like Anduin as a character. I don’t think he naive and I echo the statements above. Now for the characters of mine?

Vynianyx: She respects Anduin and what he has been through. She understands that he has been thrusted into a position he did not think he was ready for. A position he has been groomed for. She would give her life for the boy king, even though she doesn’t consider herself Alliance.

Sylstyx: Anduin is a boy of the Light. Something her people respects. From that alone, Sylstyx respects him. However, she doesn’t hold a personal opinion on him as she can hardly keep up with the current state of affairs.

Kersia: Log 356 Research Topic: Sudden shifts in leadership from a veteran to a novice youth. How does this impact the rest of the leadership population? What power shifts come of this? How do societal groups view a ruler of youthful age?

Xinaria: Xinaria would give her life for the boy king. To her, he is a champion of the Light and a champion of Life. He opposes Sylvanas. Whether he is too young or naive is not up for discussion. The Light guides her to protect him.

Mortre: Sylvanas must be stopped before Azeroth is bled dry. If Anduin can accomplish that, he will have her respect. If not, then he is useless to her.

Etzul: If he writes a check, he is great.

Tinkahra: If he is great for Etzul, he is great for her.

Tolbyas: He has no issue working for young employers. To him, Anduin seems to be handling the mantle of king well. Though Tolbyas isn’t a member of the military, he still values the Alliance leadership.

Xiinistera: The Nightmare must be fully eradicated. Whatever the Alliance and Horde are doing is below such a goal. Tinkahra, she must find and kill Tinkahra.

Ezari: Anduin is a king and champion of the Light. He is pure and absolute, wonderful. He must be killed. His ability to be thrust into ruling is a testament to his great mindset and fortitude. The Light must be purged. He must die. Free us.

2 Likes

Echoing the sentiments already stated above–as a player, I enjoy Anduin’s character quite a lot. He’s not prone to anger quickly and tends to think through things rather than immediately jumping to conclusions; something that seems to be somewhat rare among Azeroth’s prominent leaders sometimes. It’s been especially interesting watching him grow up, so to speak, and while he does have some knowledge of how to run a kingdom he lacks the experience. On top of that, he lost his father suddenly and as a result inherited a world at war. A war which, while we did beat the Legion, could be argued to have only gotten worse.

At this time, I don’t expect anything exceptionally bad to happen to him(I don’t put a lot of stalk in the traitor theories), but I don’t expect him to come out of BFA unscathed either. Rather, I think BFA is his trial by fire–the thing that will forge him into the strong, confident leader that he needs to be for his people. Or it could break him, if he isn’t careful. Exactly what happens remains to be seen.

As for what my characters think…I have too many to list here, but most support Anduin in some fashion; some more than others. Here’s the status of a few of them:

Morician: Anduin is his king, and Morician will serve to the best of his abilities, especially if it brings an end to Sylvanas. If the war demands that he give his life in service to the Alliance, Morician will gladly do so to protect friends and family. Similar to Anduin, he too has a desire to choose his targets wisely, when possible sparing Horde civilians and those who oppose the Banshee’s machinations.

Rendoran: Is neutral towards Anduin, serving more out of loyalty to the Alliance and a desire to put a stop to Sylvanas. While he respects the king’s office, admiration for the individual is reserved until after they’ve proven themselves–something Anduin has yet to fully do, in his eyes.

Kirendar: Doesn’t think Anduin has used enough force against the Horde. While he is loyal to the Alliance, his service is somewhat grudging in that he believes the Horde should be eradicated entirely, rather than simply forced to surrender.

Y’sorah: Anduin serves the Light and received training from Velen himself, yes? There is no problem here. Inexperienced, you say? That is why he has advisors, no?

Mirmulnir: Doesn’t really care who’s in charge as long he gets paid to hunt trophy beasts(dragons especially) or rip Forsaken to shreds.

Logokote: While he has no special love for the Alliance, he hasn’t forgotten the time a few of their forces helped his tribe in the remote parts of the Stonetalon Mountains. He’s heard more good than bad about Anduin, and certainly trusts the human king more than he does the Banshee Queen, and believes everyone would benefit from her demise. For now though, he simply bides his time in the shadows, waiting for an opportune time to strike and tip the balance against Sylvanas.

1 Like

After being kicked out of the Horde my blades will serve King Anduin.

Anduin Wrynn is the kind of Leader I would be willing to fight and die for IC and IRL. At his core he is an egalitarian soul, and is learning how to best persue that endevor through his life experiences. Also, can we just take a second to appreciate the Genn Greymane x Anduin balance? I think it’s a right place right time relationship.
As a paladin I am loving the current regime.

1 Like

Prav simply does not understand how humans would think that a system of governance based upon inheritance and bloodline is an appropriate form of government. While he is not as quick to criticize openly what the humans do to govern themselves, let alone their incompetence as a whole, he does have voiced concerns about the Alliance as a whole. Simply because his father was made High King of the Alliance, what right does this baby have to it?

While he does take solace in knowing he was trained, primarily, by Velen and breathes a sigh of relief that the Kingdom of Gilneas is not directly at the helm of the Alliance, he cannot help but think that their now destitute neighbors would have made a preferable head of state rather than the humans.

Thiska thinks he’s doing pretty well under the circumstances. Things kind of blew up all at once with Teldrassil, and even though he declined helping Tyrande, he’s not doing impulsive things like Sylvanas. Anduin shows mercy and honor, so in my opinion he’s representing the Alliance quite well. Can’t say that for Sylvanas, though…

Grieving: She will give him a glare, as she thinks Anduin, in her opinion, “turning his back on her home” isn’t something honorable. She’s just glad Tyrande has her mind together.

Tehso: Tehso couldn’t care less about the war, he’s just looking to get more powerful. Be default, yes, his loyalties lie with the Alliance. He will fight for them, but yawn in the process.

Ameshi: Ameshi is passionate about saving her “family,” so of course she supports most things Anduin does. She does still see him as a young inexperienced man, but again, under the circumstances, he’s doing quite well and not doing anything a child would possibly do.

Many of the sentiments have been Eco’d

Berusein (Human): Thinks Anduin is doing a fine job. Has little to complain about and is willing to head the call to arms when the ultimate goal is peace between the factions.

Kosmosu (Night Elf): Will die for her King. she doesn’t have much of a connection to her own people and supported Anduin during his journey and her blade had answered the call with almost near Religious enthusiasm. She fights for her family and for the Alliance.

Sprinter (Dwarf): Thinks he is a fine King. Not near the level he believes Anduin should be but honestly believes there is room to grow and learn. By the time the boy king reaches Varian age, Sprinter thinks will be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with his father.

Eledune (Night Elf): Annoyed with the King while understands his position. But none the less can’t help but feel as if our time of need was Ignored. Logically she knows the boy King is right in managing the alliance forces as a whole and knows Tyrande can be impulsive which can cost lives. Emotionally she doesn’t need the alliance and join her sisters in the fight for her home.

Vyrlin (Void Elf): Grateful to the Alliance for aiding them in their time of need and accepting them to back to the Alliance. It feels right to be back with much more honorable allies. Holds off on any judgment on the boy king for this war will define his role as King.

Lithiana (Worgen): Doesn’t care who is King or Queen as long as she can kill Forsaken. A Gnome can sit on the highest throne for all she cares.

Apparently the humans think that one can deserve to rule us all based solely on who his daddy was.

Turalyon, Shandris, Halford Wyrmbane, and so many others would have been better choices for a wartime united commander.

And don’t forget that it was Anduin who convinced his father to leave the Horde in peace after Siege of Orgrimmar without any concessions, not even demanding the land they conquered during the war to be returned to the Alliance. He shares at least some of the blame for the situation we are in now.

Few of my characters have a mind or interest for politics and as such barely have much of an opinion in regards to various leaders, especially those of nations they aren’t part of.

Astrea here doesn’t care for Anduin, though it has little to do with the boy himself. She has distain for the Alliance in general and since Anduin is more or less a/the central leader of it he inherits the ill will. His age coupled with his position merely exacerbates things. She doesn’t hold Stormwind’s lack of aid to the Night Elves against him, however; partially because she’d rather the NIght Elves deal with their own problems anyway, but also because she doesn’t think any attempt at aid would amount to much genuine productivity.

The only other character I have with any opinion on Anduin is my Sentinel, Antimar, who indirectly appreciates him due to Stormwind housing Darnassian refugees; of which includes one of her older sisters.

By my people’s standards, he’s not even a child of fifty. For such a young Human, I think he’s doing far better than one could expect, given the circumstances. Given their short lifespans though, he really should be thinking of a mate. I understand that Humans don’t give females primacy in these matters, but that young daughter of Greymane’s would be a strategic match.

Personally, I think he’s kinda boring. He has the same ‘I’m a victim of circumstance’ look on his face that Jaina has. They both have this feel sorry for me background music, but he hasn’t really done much in the entirety of the lore other then cry or be that said victim of circumstance.

When you compare him to Sylvanas, everything she says, makes the hairs on my back stand up. “Vol’Jin is dead. Who among you will help me avenge him.”

I’ve written him as a little more short tempered. I know I’m Hordie and this isn’t my Cool-Aid but if you were asking my character though she would say;

"The king of my enemies is both beautiful and terrifying to me. He wasn’t the awkward looking boy I saw in the jungles of Pandaria. His gaze is so calming and friendly, his smile inviting, and pleasing. He looks strong and his heavy looking armor didn’t seem to trouble him at all.

I can’t stop thinking about him, it’s like a storm that came from nowhere, shocked you with lighting and continued to pour rain on you and rain isn’t stopping and every image I remember is like a bolt of lightning.

Anduin though, he… It’s like he became that beautiful yesterday and had no idea the effect he could have on women if he were less demure. He is so handsome, strong, wise, and kind, and yet humble with a childlike innocence. I know he’s a king, he’s the king of my enemy and I shouldn’t feel this way, how could this happen? My only love sprung from my only hate. Too early seen unknown and known too late! Prodigious birth of love it is to me, that I must love a loathed enemy.

Anduin, Anduin, Anduin, why did you have to be born in that city? There something about you that reminds me of home, why couldn’t we be born in that home. It seems like we want the same thing, but my cheeks blush and my lips burn at the thought of you. Do you really have to be Alliance? Do I really have to be Horde? Throw it all on the fire and we can burn together. What is Alliance, what is Horde? It isn’t hand, or foot, or arm, or face, or any other part belonging to a man.

Can we call ourselves something else? The United, the Gathering, the Peacekeepers, or just ‘us’? Oh, Anduin would, were he not Anduin called. He would retain that dear perfection which he owes without that title."

(Lines from Romeo and Juliet)

If Anduin had a furry fetish, sure.

For marrying a normal human woman?

1 Like

Greymane’s daughter isn’t touched by the Curse. Not all Gilneans are Worgen.

2 Likes

Graymane daughter is one of the rogue followers and she’s “wolfie”

Revenwyn much prefers Anduin as king than Varian, sad to say. While Varian was a veteran of war, Anduin thinks through things strategically and shows mercy when it will likely produce the best outcome. She loves the boy king and would give her life for him.

Raede (blood elf rogue) has a deep respect for Anduin, but that said he hates Sylvanas and would deflect to the Alliance if he could. However, this is unfortunately not a possibility, so he just stays away from doing anything to hurt the Alliance, at least directly.

?? I don’t understand what you mean by that.

Anyway. Anduin is not interested in Tess. Genn brought up an arraigned marriage when Anduin made him reagent and heir. Anduin wasn’t interested in a forced marriage and reasoned Tess would feel the same. He was also aware of rumors of Tess involved in shadowy stuff.

I feel blizzard is actually setting him up with Taelia, but only time will tell.

1 Like

I alway thought Flynn was her boy. The abuse he takes from her and her griffon is a sign of impending marriage.